Flat Towing the Goblin, any guides?

ZacMaster

I see some pictures of people flat towing their goblins.

Does anyone have any recommendations for toe bars? What about light harnesses? Are people pre-wiring a plug into a forward part of the wire harness back to the tail lights? (With diodes?)

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Bringing this back to life....

Has anyone else ordered this tow bar and attached it?
https://www.amazon.com/Volkswagen-Beetle-Karmann-Ghia-Thing/dp/B00700U44A

Then 2 of these? (Right threaded)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/QA1-ROD-END-HEIM-JOINT-FEMALE-1-2-X-1-2-20-RIGHT-JOINT-BALL-HARD-CHROME-PLATEd/380472544804?hash=item5895ee4e24:g:L0EAAOSwstxVQ7Rh:sc:USPSPriority!21113!US!-1

Then essentially drill 2 1/2 holes on each end of the tow bar, attach using 1/2 hitch pins?

Any other ideas? Or perhaps tow bars that work better? Lastly if a vehicle is towed on all 4's does it have to be registered?

Last edited:

baustin

I'm also interested in this. Short search for folks towing these while still assembled as Cobalts either have to disconnect the battery, pull a fuse, or install a switch on that fuse. I'm not sure if that circuit is even part of the goblin or if it's removed already.

But if someone has full details on the tow bar setup, that'd be great to see and read.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
My only suggestion is adding an easy to get to connector for tail lights.
Yeah. I thought about running additional wires to the rear, then getting a connector for them. It should be three wires correct? I wish I had done that before I riveted my tunnel down....

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I made a separate tail light harness that uses a 6-pin connector that I can disconnect and swap with the truck lights . That way I can completely isolate the Goblin circuitry from the truck. I was paranoid about feeding the Goblin with voltages from the truck. Anyways, you should need four wires all together. One for park, two for left/right turn signal/brake, and ground.

If you go that route, it shouldn't be too difficult to cut your tail light wires at the rear and insert a connector.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
You could run parallel wiring to the same taillights, would just need to isolate using diodes on the Goblin side to keep the truck system from feeding back into the car wiring. A connector at the front could then connect to the truck trailer connection.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
I use two rod ends in place of the nuts on the front A-arms. Then a harbor freight tow bar. Works ok

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
20190415_112139.jpg
20190415_112150.jpg

We received the tow bar brackets from the laser cutters and welded out one to test. Now we are waiting for hitches to come in so we can weld out several units to take to powder coating.

The tow bar kit comes with a pigtail that you will permanently hook to the brown, yellow and green wires on the big red BCM plug and also a wire to ground to your frame. The pigtail will be accessable near the drivers side lower control arm.

The tow bar has a wire with a four pin trailer plug on each end. When in use one end plugs into the tow vehicle the other end plugs into the pigtail that was installed in your goblin.

There are loops for safety cables but we are not going to include safety cables with the tow bar kits.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
View attachment 8283View attachment 8284

We received the tow bar brackets from the laser cutters and welded out one to test. Now we are waiting for hitches to come in so we can weld out several units to take to powder coating.

The tow bar kit comes with a pigtail that you will permanently hook to the brown, yellow and green wires on the big red BCM plug and also a wire to ground to your frame. The pigtail will be accessable near the drivers side lower control arm.

The tow bar has a wire with a four pin trailer plug on each end. When in use one end plugs into the tow vehicle the other end plugs into the pigtail that was installed in your goblin.

There are loops for safety cables but we are not going to include safety cables with the tow bar kits.
I’d like to buy one when ready I’m not crazy about my HF one.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Also I should mention don’t even attempt to backup with a flat tow bar haha. It’s not gonna end well.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
That's what I planned on doing. Do you have a picture of the harbor freight bar attached? Does it clear the hood enough? That one is 70 reg price. So that's pretty cheap set up to get it all set up to tow....
I don’t have a picture but it clears mine just fine. I had to modify it to attach to the rod ends but it was just taking off the last section of the bar and making a little U shaped hook to bolt to the rod end