Flat Towing the Goblin, any guides?

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
View attachment 8283View attachment 8284

We received the tow bar brackets from the laser cutters and welded out one to test. Now we are waiting for hitches to come in so we can weld out several units to take to powder coating.

The tow bar kit comes with a pigtail that you will permanently hook to the brown, yellow and green wires on the big red BCM plug and also a wire to ground to your frame. The pigtail will be accessable near the drivers side lower control arm.

The tow bar has a wire with a four pin trailer plug on each end. When in use one end plugs into the tow vehicle the other end plugs into the pigtail that was installed in your goblin.

There are loops for safety cables but we are not going to include safety cables with the tow bar kits.
I am very interested now that I am auto crossing. I assume the bracket bolts up to existing goblins? Do you have a price range?

Thanks

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Well. That did not go well. Luckily my truck and the goblin didn't even get scratched. I'd say I had went about 3/4 mile. Was towards my home and it snapped off...

Is the quality of the ones I purchased just no good?

IMG_20190606_201528.jpg

Back to the drawing board?

Which ends did you guys go with?

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Holy ****!! That’s my worst nightmare. I hook mine up the same way....I knew that wasn’t the greatest way to do it, never doing that again now.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Holy ****!! That’s my worst nightmare. I hook mine up the same way....I knew that wasn’t the greatest way to do it, never doing that again now.
Yeah man. I don't even understand. I mean had I been going down a road quicker....could have hit a car etc. Luckily I was going slow and it basically just ran into the wheel of the goblin/bar at very low speed.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Wow, you were extremely lucky! I hope you bought a lottery ticket
Looks like that was made from aluminum?
The issue with heim joints is the "outer eye" holding the ball, is the weak link.
I dont know if I'd even use a steel heim joint for towing the Goblin.

Good to hear everything and everyone is OK.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
Looking at DF's new flat towing set up my guess is something like this (roughly modeled up for demonstration purposes). With a lock nut, threaded tube notched and welded to another tube that a bent up bracket pins through.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Looking at DF's new flat towing set up my guess is something like this (roughly modeled up for demonstration purposes). With a lock nut, threaded tube notched and welded to another tube that a bent up bracket pins through.

Yeah I'd like to figure out a way to get the pink piece made or something. I wouldn't try towing again without something stronger.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
We just received our hitches for tow bars and have started fabrication.
20190607_151134.jpg

I tested this one when we had the meetup in Arkansas.
20190607_152546.jpg

The kit comes with a two inch tow bar, a left and right bracket, two clevis pins with clips, a five foot extension cord, a pig tail that gets attached to your BCM, and longer upper control arm bolts.
The tow bar and brackets are powder coated.
There are rings at the bottom of the brackets that can be used for safety cables. Safety cables are not included with the kit.
$250 plus shipping

Ross

Goblin Guru
Very nice! The trailer wiring gets attached to the BCM? So does it attach to the tail light wires that go to straight to the rear? Or do you have to leave the BCM powered up in order to run the tail lights?

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
Very nice! The trailer wiring gets attached to the BCM? So does it attach to the tail light wires that go to straight to the rear? Or do you have to leave the BCM powered up in order to run the tail lights?
It attaches to the tail light wires coming out of the BCM.