Footwell Cover

Tim Moland

There is not a lot of information on the footwell cover. So here it goes!! First off all, what is a footwell cover, and what does it do? Here it is...
20190623_171407.jpg

This cover fits on the underside of the hood to block off hot air coming from the radiator. It's a clam shell that meets up with the front firewall, forcing the hot radiator air out the sides and bottom. And man, does it work! I drove my car on a hot sunny day before installing the cover and my legs were hotter in the shade of the hood than my upper body in direct sunlight. Now, with the cover installed, it is way more comfortable. Here is how I installed mine. First off, the cover is made for an automatic goblin, so a little cutting is required to fit around the clutch stuff and the hose from the brake reservoir. This is how I trimmed mine.
20190621_032258.jpg

These are shots of it installed.
20190623_171413.jpg
20190623_171418.jpg
20190623_171424.jpg
20190623_171430.jpg
20190623_172058.jpg

I used foam tape purchased at lowes called camper seal.
20190623_165109.jpg

I did this so I could remove the cover later for maintenence, but keep it from rubbing through the powdercoat. I held it on with zip ties for easy removal. The kit comes with self taping screws to go into the upper frame rails, but I thought zip ties were more convenient. I think I will add a little black duct tape to cover any areas that still allow the hot air to flow through. Overall, well worth the money for more comfort.

askiles

Goblin Guru
Nice write up. I dig it. I have one as well, I need to fit it up. The hood will be off this coming week to get wrapped, so I will be doing it then. I will probably use the self tapping screws, but the zip ties are a good option as well.

baustin

Nice install ideas. I already had included one of these with my kit options, I'll try to keep these ideas in mind when I get to that point on my build.

askiles

Goblin Guru
I'm curious to know when this option came available as I haven't heard about until now.
Also, what did you pay for it?
I think they came out with it when they came up with the AT Goblin. I believe it was mainly meant for that. Since you will be taking it off-road and what not.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I saw the footwell cover back in January when I picked up my frame.

What is the purpose of the footwell cover?

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
I'm getting close to placing my order, picking up the donor tomorrow, and need to know, do I need one if these? If heat is a problem, then it will be a big problem in Vegas.

So, if you are running a hood, why can't the bulkhead/forward firewall run up to the hood and seal at the hood/firewall seam instead of using the footwell cover? Is there something I don't understand?

askiles

Goblin Guru
I'm getting close to placing my order, picking up the donor tomorrow, and need to know, do I need one if these? If heat is a problem, then it will be a big problem in Vegas.

So, if you are running a hood, why can't the bulkhead/forward firewall run up to the hood and seal at the hood/firewall seam instead of using the footwell cover? Is there something I don't understand?
You could definitely fashion your own bulkhead/firewall and try and do that with a seal to the hood. That is an option for sure. I am in AZ and know I don’t need that extra heat.

Tim Moland

I made one minor change to this installation. I found that while my legs were no longer hot with the footwell cover installed, the hot air was then redirected over the footwell cover and discharged at chest level. It was like having vents in a normal dash. So what I did, was to run to lowes and get some foam insulation for copper piping. I taped one tube to the top of the footwell cover in a V formation. The tube gets squeezed flat when installing the hood. All the hot are now gets diverted to the side and discharged by the mirrors. Very cheap fix.
20190712_213632.jpg

askiles

Goblin Guru
I made one minor change to this installation. I found that while my legs were no longer hot with the footwell cover installed, the hot air was then redirected over the footwell cover and discharged at chest level. It was like having vents in a normal dash. So what I did, was to run to lowes and get some foam insulation for copper piping. I taped one tube to the top of the footwell cover in a V formation. The tube gets squeezed flat when installing the hood. All the hot are now gets diverted to the side and discharged by the mirrors. Very cheap fix.
View attachment 9409
Smart! Makes total sense. That hot air had to go somewhere.

Batlwagn

So who do I have to kill to get one these?! My GF and I took the goblin for dinner last night and my nuts were soup by the time we arrived. Also trying to source and engine cover. I used [email protected] and have not heard anything

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
We have been increasing the number of employees at DF Kitcar so a lot of jobs Adam and I use to deal with directly are being delt with by folks that are new.

If you don't get what you need give me a call or text.
214-334-0232 cell

Or email me.
[email protected]

I am definitely slower to respond so keep bugging me. We are working on new videos everyday right now which should help answer a bunch of questions.

KLMOTORSPORTS

We have been increasing the number of employees at DF Kitcar so a lot of jobs Adam and I use to deal with directly are being delt with by folks that are new.

If you don't get what you need give me a call or text.
214-334-0232 cell

Or email me.
[email protected]

I am definitely slower to respond so keep bugging me. We are working on new videos everyday right now which should help answer a bunch of questions.
Very awesome!!! Thank Lonny and Adam!!!

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru

Seems like this would also address the diverted air issue, minimize install time & fitment issues, material / fabrication costs etc. etc.