Front Wing

redline

I am looking to do some type of front wing and I was curious if anyone else has worked on this yet?

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Those would be a good addition, would take some modification to mount and get the correct ground clearance. They would have to be mounted as close to the bottom of the nose to be most effective. The taller side of the side plates should be mounted up to catch and hold the maximum amount of air above the wing, plus putting a Gurney strip at the rear would enhance the downforce of a smaller width wing.

Additionally, enclosing the under side of the nose to keep the radiator exhaust from spilling out under the car will help enhance the negative pressure created under the wing. Having a flat bottom on the car from the nose back to the engine cradle benefits aerodynamics. The radiator exhaust should be directed out the side of car around the suspension gap in the bodywork to take advantage of these enhancements.

Last edited:

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
Ordered a 14" section on May 12th, called them last week to see when I could expect it, they said we have a 10" piece here, would that work, I said sure, got it today along with a few other goodies I didn't expect, 2 end plastic (uhmw probably) end plates, and one of their aluminum wing mounts which will really help with my rear wing design. Last pic is of the wheel full lock (205/50R15).

Here's what I've been imagining for a front wing, not 100% done with the design of my front hood yet, I'm on version 5, keep finding things I don't like and changing it. Most likely will end up building version 1 and being done with it...

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
That is exactly what I had in mind for my car. Unfortunately with having to have a front bumper it screws up that plan.

Tim Moland

This was sent to me to pass on to you from someone not in the forum. It's on a rocket II. Might give you some ideas.
IMG_16001.jpg

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Ordered a 14" section on May 12th, called them last week to see when I could expect it, they said we have a 10" piece here, would that work, I said sure, got it today along with a few other goodies I didn't expect, 2 end plastic (uhmw probably) end plates, and one of their aluminum wing mounts which will really help with my rear wing design. Last pic is of the wheel full lock (205/50R15).

Here's what I've been imagining for a front wing, not 100% done with the design of my front hood yet, I'm on version 5, keep finding things I don't like and changing it. Most likely will end up building version 1 and being done with it...

DC, I was wondering how much space was actually there to work with when the wheel was turned to the lock. Looks like the 10 inch is about it after adding an end plate to the wing. Are you going to use the Nine Lives wing or go with something else?

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
This was sent to me to pass on to you from someone not in the forum. It's on a rocket II. Might give you some ideas.
View attachment 9589
Look interesting, thanks for sharing.

DC, I was wondering how much space was actually there to work with when the wheel was turned to the lock. Looks like the 10 inch is about it after adding an end plate to the wing. Are you going to use the Nine Lives wing or go with something else?
I'm going to use the Nine Live Racing wing for the front wing, will eventually have one on the rear as well, maybe two ;). With the 205 fronts, depending on my hood I could probably get another 2" in there, but we'll see after I get the hood built.

Batlwagn

Pardon my ignorance on the subject. I'd love to do a front wing as well as a rear diffuser. Would it not be better to extend the wing in front of the tires as well?

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
If this was a track only car for me, id be doing a full front wing in front of the wheels. Being a street car, my driveway alone would rip off anything mounted further up front. Was surprised when I didn't scrape the radiator on my first drive out of the garage

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Something like the Ariel wing, but built out of aluminum would be a great option. I wonder if the Nine Lives wang could be adapted to some kind of aluminum plate/frame that would allow it to be mounted onto the bottom of the radiator support struts? Hmmm....:cool:

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
I'm 80% sure something like this would work with no hood (spent 30 minutes on it), I dont know what kind of clearance is needed for the DF hood but that can be designed around.

Fab'd pieces with the hole pattern in it to bolt to the radiator support bar and give some angle of attack change (needs revision). I stood on the radiator support bracket to see how it felt, my fat ass didn't budge the support bar, but the further we get out the more that force is amplified.

Wing in pics is 51" wide, this can be what ever you desire. The machined, routed, burned however its done that pieces that would weld to the wing are easily fab'd up, could even use the NLR mount in its factory position and make a plate to go between the two but I think that would take away a little ground clearance.

End plates are just there for looks, bigger smaller what ever can be done. Probably go bigger.