Fuel tank size

Ross

Goblin Guru
My fuel gauge was reading 1/4 full, but I decided to fill it up anyway.
I put 16 gallons into my SC gas tank. Update: My tank only holds 10 gallons. There was a error in fuelling - not sure what is was.
I thought it was only 10 gallons.
Is my fuel gauge hanging up, or is this a 20 gallon tank?

Last edited:

askiles

Goblin Guru
It is around 15/16 gallons if I remember correctly. I have only filled up once. I was shocked!

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Oh OK, we're talking about the Goblin fuel tanks. LOL. When Ross guesstimated 20 gallons, I thought maybe he was referring to the stock Cobalt fuel tank size because the Goblin tanks are not even close to that size. I guess I have to cut the Canadian some slack for his imperial measurement estimations. :)

I'm with Justin, mine doesn't hold any more than 10 gallons. More like 9.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Guys, the American gas pump said it put 16 gallons into my Goblin tank. Update: There was an error in fuelling. It only holds 10 gallons.
I'm guessing that the 1/4 full on the gauge was a bad reading - I'm still learning my Goblin gauges.

PS, Canada will sell you liters of gas, imperial gallons haven't been seen in ages. ;)

Last edited:

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Lonny is sitting back laugh his butt off at all of us trying to figure out the capacity of the tank.

My vote on the SS/SC is around 10 gals.

Ross

Goblin Guru
The big end (with the pump) is 9" high, 8.5" wide, and 12" long = 918 cu. in.
The thin end is 9" high, 7.5" wide, and 21.5" long = 1451 cu. in.
Total is 2369 cu. in. = 10.25 gallons.
Man, I'm going back to that gas station and ask for my money back!

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Really Chad, you have never put more than 10 gallons in your tank?
How do you explain that I put 16 gallons of gas in my Goblin?
Ian was with me. I was sober. I didn't see a big puddle under my car. I believe the gas pumps are regularly calibrated.
Now I'm going to have to measure & do the math... lol.
Most of the time we are putting around 6-7 gals in. The gauge stays on full for a long time and then drops quickly. I don't want to see when it will run out so I fill it up pretty quick and end up not draining very far. So yeah, I have never put more than 10 gallons in. Just this weekend, i put 6.5 in when it was less than a quarter tank.

I've often though about straightening the bend on the float to slow down the drop but I've heard that it will hit on the baffles in the tank and get stuck so I haven't bothered.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
The big end (with the pump) is 9" high, 8.5" wide, and 12" long = 918 cu. in.
The thin end is 9" high, 7.5" wide, and 21.5" long = 1451 cu. in.
Total is 2369 cu. in. = 10.25 gallons.
Man, I'm going back to that gas station and ask for my money back!
Double verified. Measurements taken from my SS/SC kit tank.

Tim Moland

I was told by Lonny they are around 9 gallons. This is a turbo model if that matters. My gauge gets to the point that the low fuel warning comes on. The distance til empty stops reading at 40 miles remaining and then it just says low fuel. At that point, when I fill up I only get 7 gallons in it. Not sure if that is a fuel gauge characteristic in the new tank or what.