Fuel tank size

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
You can't trust miles until empty and if you have an Aeroforce gauge, the actual amount of gallons in the tank. All the calculations are based off a stock sized tank.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Most of the time we are putting around 6-7 gals in. The gauge stays on full for a long time and then drops quickly. I don't want to see when it will run out so I fill it up pretty quick and end up not draining very far. So yeah, I have never put more than 10 gallons in. Just this weekend, i put 6.5 in when it was less than a quarter tank.
I can tell you that mine will hang at 1/4 of a tank. and stay there until it is empty. Lucky I found this out in the garage not on the road. I wont say how much I tore apart before I tried adding a few gallons of gas.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I can tell you that mine will hang at 1/4 of a tank. and stay there until it is empty. Lucky I found this out in the garage not on the road. I wont say how much I tore apart before I tried adding a few gallons of gas.
I think my gauge is hanging up too.

Last edited:

JSATX

Goblin Guru
I’ve removed my pump 4 times now trying to figure out a bend shape that works. Still no luck. Getting constantly closer to ditching the cobalt instrument cluster anyway. there’s some aftermarket fuel level senders that are just a vertical rod would probably work better.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
I wonder if you could adjust the resistance outputted by the sending unit by adding a resistor. Pull the fuel pump out, measure the resistance with the float all the way down and all the way up, put the fuel pump back in, measure the resistance with no fuel in. Calculate the resistor needed to get to the empty resistance value when installed. It'll show full longer/sooner but empty would be more accurate.

askiles

Goblin Guru
So far I haven't had any issues with mine. At first I had just put in like 2-3 gallons, and it was just up a ways. Indicative of how much fuel I had in there. Then when I filled it up, it went to full. It has been steadily going down as well as I drive it. Now just less than half a tank. So far, so good.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Ours is not the most accurate on the top and bottom, but from everything I can tell, it's accurate in the middle position.

I really think the making the arm long, BUT STILL AT THE SAME ANGLE WITH THE SENSOR, would give it a much shorter arc and longer stroke. It's really hard to explain but it's going too high and low. A long rod to the float would reduce the amount of arc on the sensor. However I haven't tried it because I have it stuck in my head that it will contact a baffle inside the tank.

Overall, it doesn't bother me. I know there is more after empty and half it accurate. I can live with it.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Yeah, mine shows full when full and a couple of gallons left when on empty. Everything in the middle doesn't really matter. At least to me.

askiles

Goblin Guru
So I just went to the gas station. I had about 3/8 of a tank. Filled it up. 4.8 gallons. So it does look like it’s around 10 gallons, perhaps a little more.

Lechlis

If someone has their sending unit out, could you measure resistance between the purple and pink/orange wire with the float at both extremes?

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
If someone has their sending unit out, could you measure resistance between the purple and pink/orange wire with the float at both extremes?
I looked this up a while ago but never verified, 40 ohms empty 250 ohms full.

I'd like the resistance of the sender unit in the goblin tank empty so I can modify the resistance to 40 ohms so my gauge is more accurate the closer it gets to empty.

Lechlis

I'd like the resistance of the sender unit in the goblin tank empty so I can modify the resistance to 40 ohms so my gauge is more accurate the closer it gets to empty.
That is what I have seen also, but I then found some contradicting material stating 0-90 ohm. I am going to hook a rheostat up to the wires tomorrow and will report back what I find.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
That is what I have seen also, but I then found some contradicting material stating 0-90 ohm. I am going to hook a rheostat up to the wires tomorrow and will report back what I find.
0-90 ohms looks like '65-1997 fuel senders according to this site.

Let me know how it goes though!

Lechlis

~4.5v supply when key on, engine off. Confirmed as the 33-240 scale. My gauge pegs full around 50 ohms and would read full as long as the circuit is completed. Interestingly, the gauge reading is inversely proportional to the resistance.