full race rims and tires

redline

What are you running at the track? Is anyone on full R rated race tires such as Hoosiers, if so what size and what rims are you running.

My thoughts right now are 10"rear and 8" front Hoosier R rated slicks for the track. I would like to put them on 15" rims front and back if they will fit? not sure on the rear as I know Lonny had 15" on the front although he did have to shave the caliper. The car slowed down well at the track for me this weekend but I was on 225 street tires and it didn't take much to out brake the tires, once I am running race tires I don't know if the brakes will be enough??? with that in mind maybe 16" would be better so there is a little room to go bigger?

George

Goblin Guru
I am running 205/55/16 fronts, 245/45/16 rear. Toyo proxies R888. I car is loose on an auto cross course. The rear tires are also sipped for better traction. On the street works very well. Have changed rear spring rates to 150# just ordered to 125# and 100# for testing. My next step for next year would be 15" with American Racer tires.

Brad

redline

I just got off the phone with Hoosier and he confirmed that 10" rear and 8" front sounds right for the cars weight/power/gear ratio. he recommended the A7 compound over the R compound since the A7 fires faster and would be better for autocross. He said that the R compound would be better for the full road courses (longer runs).

redline

looking like rims will have to be custom. more I think of it, I almost would rather error on the side of too big and just go ahead and run 275's all the way around. they are 10.8" by my math.

redline

275s in the front?!!! That's a LOT of tire. I guess it would make the front end not feel so light.
my thoughts exactly. Talking to Lonny he thought it might be too much in front and would make it want to kick out?? you can find Atoms with 275 all the way around and they seem to like that setup???

It's a tough decision as I will have a lot into the rims and tires if it doesn't work.

redline

also should note that I purchased 1" spacers/adapters to convert the lug pattern to 5x114.3 (4.5") so that I could go with the cheaper rim option. even Diamond would not drill our pattern. Diamond wanted 130 per rim for steel rims, so that is why I went with the ones listed above.

redline

no, I will weigh them when they come in and will post it up here. I will also post the overall stock wheel and tire weight along with the same for the new rims and tires. I am really curious because 15" is a lot smaller but 295 is a lot wider???

redline

Note to all spacer buyers, go with 1 1/2 inch spacers. I used 1" and I had to cut the tip of each of my lugs with a cutting wheel so that they didn't stick out of the spacer. only had to cut off maybe a 1/4" but it was still a pain in the arse.

Nilbog

Where did you get your spacers? I realize you didnt get 1.5" but im curious if your vendor offers 1.5 (or 1.25) inch. I cant seem to find them in a 5x110 to 5x120.65 option.

redline

I got mine off of Amazon. I remember having to look a little for them. I will check and see if I can post a link.