Gilbert goblin in process

Amack1970

Friday the 8th of March, 5am, my father in law and I flew out to TX to pick up my goblin frame. We rented a moving truck and drove to Red Oaks. Lonny and Adam showed us all over their property. The machine shop side was really cool. The black Tesla powered car was there. The A/T car was there, Lonnys orange one, and the red one the two 12 yr old boys almost put into the side rail in the rain. After a couple hours we got on the road back to Gilbert Az. 15.5 hrs later, and after being up for 27 hours we were home, Saturday morning at 7:30. Drove all the way through with out stopping, other then gas and energy drinks. The following Monday the frame and all the loose pieces went to the powder coater. I picked the most bright white as possible for the frame and suspension. Gloss black for the floor panels. One week later the powder coating was done and the goblin made it home. The kids are just as excited, as they thought a jungle gym was getting dropped off. I've tried to spend a hour or so each night chipping away on things. My donor is still together, but I'm doing what I can until the end of the month when the donor gets taken apart. At this point I've installed the front firewall panel and the under floor panel. Last night I attempted to start pulling thr coolant lines, but came across a scirpion in one of the boxes. That freaked me out a little. So I called it a night. Ive attached a few progress images. Excited to get this build started!

Attachments

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Anthony,
Looks great. Problem is you have monkey infestation that may prevent you from building the improvised jungle gym into a car. ;)
Scorpions are a normal occurrence in the garage for those of us living in the desert, as long as they don't get into the house. :)

Paperscale

I do like that white. I'd love a white/red goblin. What did it cost you to powder coat the chassis and the extra parts?

Amack1970

So the scirpion was alive, it went crawling right next to my hand. Freaked me out. Yes, Az living. Powder coating the frame, suspension, floor panels, column holder, bcm cover panel, battery hold downs and tons of other parts was 950 total. Last night my buddy and I pulled the cooling hoses through the frame. We looked like the monkeys. I was sitting on my deep freezer with my legs in a birthing position pushing against the frame. I had the handle off a floor jack tied to the rope pulling the radiator hoses. My buddy was on the radiator side with gloves on spraying tire shine on ever inch. Took some time, but we got it. I wonder why df doesnt close those 2 lower frame tubes off, weld a fitting onto each end, and just run coolant through those two frame tubes? Seems easier to me

Attachments

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
You mentioned you used tire shine. Was it tire shine or tire wet?
Tire shine is a soapy water and the tire wet is a silicone lube. Tire wet is super slick.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Welcome to the forum.

You might want to turn this bolt around. The head should be on the bottom so it doesn't catch anything and it can be used as a ground point inside the tunnel.

Looks good!

Amack1970

Thank you for the heads up. I'll turn that around right after my Saturday nap. I wrenched on the gob until 12:30 last night. Then started back up at 6 this morning. Still trying to get whatever I can done without the donor pulled down. That's next weekend's funtivity. Here's some update images

Attachments

askiles

Goblin Guru
Enjoying the build! Not too far from you in Tempe. Just started tearing my donor apart, and waiting on my kit! Can't wait. Keep up the great work.

Amack1970

Are you going to drive to texas to pick up your gob? If so I'd pay some gas to get stage 3 back here for me????

Amack1970

I only had about 30 minutes to play with the gob build tonight. I got the intercooler cooler mounted. I was shocked to see only 2 bolts holding it to the nose/ radiator mount assembly. But to my surprise it's really sturdy feeling. The radiator took a little to get into place. The plastic mounts the radiator sits in wasnt sitting flush because of the welds on the radiator tanks. So I filed a small step down around the tank welds and it lined up great. Also had a buddy help me torque down the knuckles. 100ft pds by yourself is kinda difficult. Especially when the frame is up on jack stands. This is my 10yr old Landon hanging out while I work. I just found out he's got a crush on one of the neighbor girls. He really wants to show her the goblin someday. At least he has his priorities straight......
All in all a great night

Attachments

Tony

Looks like you installed the rear firewall panels... did you silicone them in? That's going to cause some difficulty with a few steps in the future. I'm a couple days' worth of work from being road-ready, and still haven't installed them.

Amack1970

Yes, the back panel is siliconed in. The only thing I thought might have to go around the frame back there is the gas tank straps. Any thing else?

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Umm, I wouldnt say there is anything too tough. Itll make getting the harness in and out a little more difficult. Maybe tougher

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Yes, the back panel is siliconed in. The only thing I thought might have to go around the frame back there is the gas tank straps. Any thing else?
It shouldn't be too much of an issue. Usually they are left off until half way through the build but you can work around them. The harness and hardlines should fit though, again just makes it a little more difficult. You'll be fine.