Hand Controlled Goblin

Hey guys/gals, I'm going to be pulling the trigger soon on a Goblin once I sell my CTS-V. Im very new to building a car so forgive my ignorance to all of this. I am wondering if there are any sequential trans options out there that would work with the goblin or anything like that? I am a paraplegic and I'm trying to figure out a way to make hand controls work for a traditional manual, but I have a feeling the controls would be so complex it would take away from the joy of driving it. It would be awesome to have paddle shifters or just be able to hit a lever and shift. Here's the simple setup I drive with right now, but its an automatic. Any ideas? Again, please forgive my ignorance to all of this, I have a lot to learn! Thank you!
hand 1.JPG
hand 2.JPG

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Welcome to the forum. Veteran? Just asking because I have good friend who also has a similar set up in his F150 pickup - thanks to an IED in Afganistan.
To answer your question, there are some transmission options that could be used with the ecotec engine that can utilize paddle shifters. Just recently a thread conversation about the automatic trans stated a Saab 6 speed auto with paddle shifters was looked into. I believe it is in this thread:

dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?threads/base-model-performance.1087/

I am sure that contacting Lonny and Adam with your specific requirements can be accommodated and they my have some suggestions for outfitting a car.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I know that some semi trucks use "automated manual transmissions" where they have connected electronics to the clutch and transmission. So there is parts available if you really want a manual transmission, but the manually shifted SAAB or Cobalt automatic transmission is probably easier to engineer into the kit.

Welcome to the forum. Veteran? Just asking because I have good friend who also has a similar set up in his F150 pickup - thanks to an IED in Afganistan.
To answer your question, there are some transmission options that could be used with the ecotec engine that can utilize paddle shifters. Just recently a thread conversation about the automatic trans stated a Saab 6 speed auto with paddle shifters was looked into. I believe it is in this thread:

dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?threads/base-model-performance.1087/

I am sure that contacting Lonny and Adam with your specific requirements can be accommodated and they my have some suggestions for outfitting a car.

Thank you! No, I was injured in a Polaris RZR with a rollcage that failed.

It looks like there might be a few options out there, I have emailed Lonny once about the easy entry option and just did about trans options. Im wondering if the Saab paddle shifters have any lag? I have paddle "Buttons" on my CTS-V and they have a bit of a lag. I really only use them to downshift into the correct gear when roll racing.

George

Goblin Guru
They are not a quick as I would prefer but if you put in sport mode and are aggressive with the throttle it will surprise you. The down shifts are quick and firm as well as the upshifts at full throttle

Brad

jpr

There's a retrofit shift kit for the automatic that I'll be installing probably in a couple weeks. I'll post in my build log when I have results!

Tinkles

I don't know your budget or how much his setup would cost , but Rob Parsons a.k.a Chairslayer is also a paraplegic who has created hand control system that allows him to drift/race manual transmission cars.

Thank you guys for the help. I've been looking into mastershift and I have also checked out Rob Parson's setup. I'll make this work one way or another! Im really looking forward to this project.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Where are you located? I'm sure if you are close to another Goblin builder they will be able to lend a hand when needed. And you will always have the forum for answers, this is a very communicative community.

Where are you located? I'm sure if you are close to another Goblin builder they will be able to lend a hand when needed. And you will always have the forum for answers, this is a very communicative community.
I'm in North GA, I'm pretty sure there are a few in Tennessee and maybe even a bit north of me. It definitely seems like this is a good group of guys on here. I've been doing a lot of reading and its all been very helpful!

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
I'm in North GA, I'm pretty sure there are a few in Tennessee and maybe even a bit north of me. It definitely seems like this is a good group of guys on here. I've been doing a lot of reading and its all been very helpful!
I’m in North Carolina and met up with the guys in TN great group. Ask me any questions you have. You have picked an awesome build it has its moments but if you find a decent donor and read the forum it will not be too hard. The community has grown a lot in the past year and he resources are great here.