Header Thoughts

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
My donor car is a 2009 with the LAP motor and has secondary air injection. Does anybody have any experience or thoughts on this header
https://www.amazon.com/DNA-Motoring-HDS-CB05-Racing-Exhaust/dp/B01KALS6NG

The issue is the secondary air. I wanted to go with a ZZP shorty header but it will not work with the air injection. GM changed this system sometime after 2007. Here is my cylinder head where I have circled are the injection ports.
20170831_192454.jpg

Here is the exhaust gasket to give a better view.
MS19566-TOP-01-25-11__ra_p.jpg

The ZZP header does not have deep enough notches between the exhaust ports to clear the injection ports.
header.jpg

I think my choices are limited to buying the header from Amazon ( same header is on ebay also) with the straight flange it will cover the air injection holes. and take my chances on it. Or cut the notches deeper on the ZZP to clear the block off plates I will have to make.

Any thoughts or ideas.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Ran across this by pure chance and now you have me wondering if I need to be looking at this too. I have a 2010 LAP, and I bought a cheapy eBay header.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Ran across this by pure chance and now you have me wondering if I need to be looking at this too. I have a 2010 LAP, and I bought a cheapy eBay header.
If you have the header with the full rectangular flange you will be fine either way. The secondary air generation is only on cars built for certain areas so you may not have it.

I just looked at your build log it does not look like you have the secondary air

Last edited:

Dsteinhorst

I'm going to bump this thread because I have some information that will hopefully be helpful to future builders with the LAP motor.

I pulled off all the SAI/Smog pump parts and got an ebay header because my factory manifold is too rusty to use. The header interferes with the coolant tube between the thermostat housing and the water pump, so I pulled the tube out and rotated it out of the way. I put some High Tack on the o rings so we'll see if it holds.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
I'm going to bump this thread because I have some information that will hopefully be helpful to future builders with the LAP motor.

I pulled off all the SAI/Smog pump parts and got an ebay header because my factory manifold is too rusty to use. The header interferes with the coolant tube between the thermostat housing and the water pump, so I pulled the tube out and rotated it out of the way. I put some High Tack on the o rings so we'll see if it holds.
I did the same thing

Karter2026

Goblin Guru

I think you are right I had to do the same thing if I remember correctly.

I replaced my water pump when I did my timing chain so I was not sure if I had it in the correct place .