Headlight Harness thinning and extending the wires.

Ross

Goblin Guru
The headlight harness needs the ground wire connected to start the car.
What is required to run the headlights, turn signals & horn?

1. There is a connector to join the headlight harness to the body harness, but only 2 wires are left on it (Green with white stripe, and yellow with a black stripe). Edit: The 2 missing wires were part of the SRS - I eliminated the front impact sensor which went back to this connector.
Do I leave this connected to the body harness?
2. Is there documentation for the headlight harness?
Do I cut open the headlight harness, and find the wires I need with a meter?
I don't need the SRS impact sensor, window washer pump, and do I keep that last thing (GM 15035785 air temp sensor)?
Do all the lighting wires need to be extended all the way thru the center tunnel to the front headlights,
and therefor need to be included before wrapping up the harness?

I'm surprised I can't find this on the forum... I must be using the wrong search key words...

Last edited:

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
1. I believe the yellow/black and green/white wires is your ambient light sensor. It's up to you if you want to keep it or not. I kept mine.
2. You don't need to keep the air temp sensor. All it does is show the temperature in the Driver Information Center. I kept mine. I plugged it into a hole in the subframe. And yes, the headlight harness wires need to be extended all the way to the front.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
I think the green with white and yellow with black is your outside temperature sensor.

Lethalcast

Here is Lonny's cheat board for the lights haha. If you dont keep the outside temp sensor it will display --- on the cluster also.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Well looks like the colors are different on my 06 SS SC.
The Cobalts right headlight has Black, brown, green/black, blue, & tan/white
The Cobalts left headlight has Black, brown, green/white, light blue, & yellow
Anyone know which wires are the turn signals? As they need to be a different length.

Ross

Goblin Guru
So I extended my headlight wires today. Dont really know which wire goes where (see question above) so I just made them all extra long, and will sort out the correct length once I know which are turn signals vs head lights.

Last thing is to rewatch the videos to see if I missed anything.
And then I discovered that I skipped video 13, the whole thing was on what I did today. Doh!