Help with body harness.

Allyn

So I have made it to part 10, thinning the body harness, with little or no Hang-Ups. But now it seems I'm at a point where the connectors are not displayed either clear enough or don't match what I have in my harness. Most of the accessories have been discarded already. I know that was a bonehead move but I basically just kept what I was told I needed. I don't know if there is a more detailed procedure on thinning the harness or something with more detailed pictures of the connectors and wire colors. My donor is a 2006 SS/SC. Also I just wanted to state that I have been in the automotive industry for over 15 years and have an Associates in computer networking and Administration so I didn't want it to seem like I'm totally helpless, just need a point in the right direction :) thank you ahead of time.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
The videos--while excellent--I find are to be used as a guideline only. Each year and model will be different than what the build videos show. For me, they answer a lot of my questions but they also raise a lot of others because what you see in the videos might be different than what you have.

Take pics of what you have and ask questions. The support here is amazing, and we'll do our best to help out.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I have the same car only a 2007. I just finished thinning my harness and have a pretty good grasp on it. The one thing that I can tell you that is different is the tan and tan/black data wires. Mine ran through options that were removed such as the ABS. I had to cut them and add them back. Lonnie said they need to go from the BCM to the ECM. And since I don't have an automatic, the TCM is gone. Also there is a post on here with pictures of the wiring diagram that helped me a lot to find connectors and wires that needed to be identified. If it wasn't such a pain on this iPad, I'd put a link on here for you.

Allyn

Cool thank you I will try to find that post. Actually one of my questions is with the brown data wires. They say to leave them on the black and purple connector but there is no such connector. This is the opposite connector of the black and blue so this is what I did not sure if it's right or not.

Attachments

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Those are the wires I was referring to. I called them tan, but you are probably correct with brown. They should go from the ECM plug then through the large dash plug and then to the BCM. Tonight I can take photos of the plugs and the pin locations of each plug.

I was missing the purple and black connector also.

Allyn

Awesome I appreciate it. Also I wasn't trying to correct you on the color:) brown , tan all the same to me lol. Thanks again!

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
The two data wires should start at the ECM plug as shown below....

image.jpeg

Then go to the dash connector.....

image.jpeg

Out the other side of the dash connector (in one plug and out the matching plug)....

image.jpeg

And then onto the BCM connector....

image.jpeg

If I'm wrong, please correct me but this is the way I understood it to be. Hope this helps.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Cool thank you I will try to find that post. Actually one of my questions is with the brown data wires. They say to leave them on the black and purple connector but there is no such connector. This is the opposite connector of the black and blue so this is what I did not sure if it's right or not.
I believe that connector you show is the one from the ABS (anti-lock brakes) controller. You will remove that connector altogether if you aren't going to use the ABS. Cut the data wires there and use them to solder the connection between photo one and two of my previous post.

Allyn

Sure enough that is the ABS connector and I found the data wire that I'm going to need for the other plugs. Thank you very much. So I can eliminate all the wires coming from that connector if I'm not using abs?

Andy

Hey I have a 2005 SS/SC and I still think I still have all of the wiring and all of the stuff that connected to the wiring, lights, switches etc. I was extra careful and a bit paranoid during the wiring stuff to keep it all straight. I have finished the wiring harness and agree the videos are good but are a guide but not a catch all. If you have questions just ask and post pictures the guys on the forum are great and usually get a reply the same day of within 24 hrs.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Don't forget about the data wires on the VCIM--I think it's referred to as the OnStar module. If I'm not mistaken, that entire system is eliminated much like the ABS.

Allyn

Definitely, thanks again for all the help guys. I'm on vacation currently but can't wait to get back home and start on her again. I was wondering if anyone has put together a wiring diagram for the Goblin, I can't seem to find it on here. I do a lot better with schematics.