Hoping to order soon, from Ohio

Vwsaabvt

Goblin Guru
Jumping in head first
Stumbled upon the goblin a month ago, found a donor and stripped it. Selling another car tomorrow so I guess it's time to get serious about ordering stage 1 soon. I have tons of questions and need to start writing them down so I don't forget.

My donor is an 06 ss, I want an extended track frame since i have read that most people say they would go extended if they were to do it over again. I am 6 foot even and 260lbs so I don't think the extra room is going to hurt.

Question 1:
Am I better off going with re-drilled 5 lug hubs to 5x114.3 or better off switching to 4 lug. I think I read that the 4 lug is a direct swap with the supercharged axles. My thought on this is if I get redrilled 5 lug am i going to need to have rotors drilled each time? Or is 4 lug going to be better fof parts availability?

Question 2:
All the videos are based on the n/a version auto. Are there better instructions somewhere for doing a SC car or do you get more of that info with the kit. Or are you left a little more on your own to figure things out?

Gotta hurry up on spending some money while my is on board with it.

Attachments

Ross

Goblin Guru
We have the same donor car, the differences between the 2.2NA and our 2.0SC engines hasn't slowed me down yet. You have this forum to help you out, and the videos. This forum is great at getting help. On the wheel pattern issue... I am still learning and researching. I have been looking at wide wheels/tires, and the 4 lug pattern will allow you to run 11" wide tires with light 15" wheels. The 5x114.3 pattern will allow 17" wheels with 12" wide tires. Most people don't go for real wide tires, so maybe this isn't a concern for you. Both patterns support normal sized tires. 16" wheels don't go real wide, and 18" wheels need really low profile tires to keep the tires around the stock 26" high range.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Even the 4 bolt pattern rotors are re drilled. since the fronts that come with the kit are rotors for 5 bolt. The rears with the parking brake kit are the same 5 bolt re drilled to 4.

My advice I tell everyone is label every plug you pull out of the donor. It will save you a big headache in trying to figure out what plug goes to what and should it be cut or kept.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
There isn't much of a difference between the N/A and the SC other than the clutch and the SC cooling. They haven't made video around the specifics, but we can help you out with any questions.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
As chad mentioned...the only differences that I can think of....

When your doing the car, make sure you put the clutch cable in with the brakes lines, or shortly after. Run your heat exhanger tubes and fan while you put in your radiator. The passenger side coolant tube that goes around the supercharger takes some effort to ensure it'll never touch. The other items you'd work on thats not in the videos would be the 5 speed items / putting it together but there are plenty of pictures on here.

When you are doing the harness video's, ensure you remove what you want..so even if you want fogs....keep them etc. Label everything when you remove it. Makes it a lot easier. Also ensure whatever your writing on will hold the ink. some of mine faded and with bad handwriting it made it tough sometimes.

Lastly. I would recommend going with the 5x114.3. Thats based off wheel selection. Almost all new cars have that lug pattern so there are a lot more choices. I am sure you could find them for 4 lug though as well.

Looks like your getting there. If you haven't already make sure and change the chain tensioner to the newer style. Those tend to break. Also open it up and check the guards and ensure they are in good shape.

Vwsaabvt

Goblin Guru
As chad mentioned...the only differences that I can think of....

When your doing the car, make sure you put the clutch cable in with the brakes lines, or shortly after. Run your heat exhanger tubes and fan while you put in your radiator. The passenger side coolant tube that goes around the supercharger takes some effort to ensure it'll never touch. The other items you'd work on thats not in the videos would be the 5 speed items / putting it together but there are plenty of pictures on here.

When you are doing the harness video's, ensure you remove what you want..so even if you want fogs....keep them etc. Label everything when you remove it. Makes it a lot easier. Also ensure whatever your writing on will hold the ink. some of mine faded and with bad handwriting it made it tough sometimes.

Lastly. I would recommend going with the 5x114.3. Thats based off wheel selection. Almost all new cars have that lug pattern so there are a lot more choices. I am sure you could find them for 4 lug though as well.

Looks like your getting there. If you haven't already make sure and change the chain tensioner to the newer style. Those tend to break. Also open it up and check the guards and ensure they are in good shape.
Yeah, I have to get the engine all cleaned up. Replace timing stuff along with the seeping crank seal. Also the passenger side axle seal that made a mess of everything. The nice part about my donor was I drove it 2 hours home after picking it up with absolutly no problems.