Horn wiring help

Matt TT

So in order to pass my inspection for registration here in Colorado I need to have a working horn. I know this is part of dash wires that rework the harness from under the seat, and was wondering if anyone could walk me through that so I can rig up a simple button for it?

Thanks!

RichRich

Will be in the seat harness that you put into the dash harness. The tan wire just needs to touch a ground. What I did is bought a momentary switch from napa for about $10, found an acceptable ground within the steering column and just put a short jumper wire from it to the switch, attached the tan wire to the switch and worked like a charm. Used 2 hose clamps to mount the switch to the frame just left of the steering wheel.

Matt TT

Will be in the seat harness that you put into the dash harness. The tan wire just needs to touch a ground. What I did is bought a momentary switch from napa for about $10, found an acceptable ground within the steering column and just a short jumper wire to the switch, attached the tan wire to the switch and worked like a charm. Used 2 hose clamps to mount the switch to the frame just left of the steering wheel
Thanks! I can knock that out no problem.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Something else to think about are your hazard lights. They are identical to the horn. I think it's the white wire?

*Edit* You'll need to use a latching switch.

Last edited:

RichRich

It was white going into the harness for the seat, just unwrap a few inches and see which one you soldered it to.
photo0.jpeg

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
The white hazard wire comes from your BCM connector. On my '09 SS, it comes from one of the latching connectors. More specifically X2/9. Not sure what model you have, but I suspect it's probably similar.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
No, there won't be issues with sharing a ground between the horn and hazard as long as you don't do anything weird like daisy chaining the ground wires from one switch to the other. As long as they split at the ground point into two wires, you're good.

RichRich

Okay, so then it’s should be in pin A for the seat harness that connects to the switch?
Any issues running the same ground as the horn?
That is correct as long as you wired it according to the video.

and yes, any ground will work. Even if you wanted to use 1 wire to come off the chassis and split later it would be fine. Those run to a relay anyways so no real current runs through it but I would run a slightly larger gauge wire just because. Not really any different than running a distribution block

Matt TT

and yes, any ground will work. Even if you wanted to use 1 wire to come off the chassis and split later it would be fine. Those run to a relay anyways so no real current runs through it but I would run a slightly larger gauge wire just because. Not really any different than running a distribution block
Thanks! Yeah I followed the video to the T. Electrical wiring is not my strong suit.

Matt TT

I ran a switch today from the orange wire in pin A and got nothing. The LED in the switch came on but no hazard lights. I double checked and it correlates to the orange wire from the harness that per the video should be the hazard control. Any ideas?

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
The white hazard wire from the Goblin should run to pin A on one half (probably female. Depends on how you have it setup.) of the connector. On the other half (probably male) of the connector, pin A should run to one side of your hazard switch. The other side of the switch needs to run to a ground point.

Matt TT

The white hazard wire from the Goblin should run to pin A on one half (probably female. Depends on how you have it setup.) of the connector. On the other half (probably male) of the connector, pin A should run to one side of your hazard switch. The other side of the switch needs to run to a ground point.
I got it sorted out. I had to use a different switch.

Matt TT

Good to hear. Was it broken or something?
I was using a three prong switch that had an LED in it. Apparently it had an issue with power/delivery being two different prongs. Swapped it for a plain, two prong switch. Works just fine.