How to deal with cut subframe

Jonathan O'Hara

Hi all,

I had a fight with my passenger side control arm rear bolt 200k miles in salty Canadian winters, I actually feel like I got off easy). The bolt snapped and was very seized in the bushing sleeve. To separate the subframe from the frame (and from the seized sleeve/bolt) I cut the subframe to get my cut off wheel in and cut the sleeve/bolt. It worked, but now I need to figure out what to do about the subframe. I think main options are (and I'm open to better ones!):

1. Mig weld the folded piece back in (recognizing that I'm a very novice welder and that steel is about the very top end of what my welder can do)

2. As above, plus weld a 1/8 plate over the area to reinforce it (I worry the extra thickness might through off steering/suspension geometry?)

3. Buy a (relatively) intact junkyard subframe (probably like C$120 or so)

I really want to do #1 or #2 but don't want to set myself up for a catastrophic failure.

Thanks for the feedback!

Here's a pic of what I'm working from:

Dreamer

Without a doubt buy one. Even if I were a master welder I wouldn't want to have any chance of a weak spot on a part as crucial as that.

RichRich

Not sure what donor you are using but you can use a subframe from any model and year cobalt. Only difference will be the mount for the sway bar.

Jonathan O'Hara

All right, thanks for the feedback guys, to the junkyard I go to get a replacement, especially since they seem reasonably cheap, like C$100 - C$150.

Jonathan O'Hara

Not sure what donor you are using but you can use a subframe from any model and year cobalt. Only difference will be the mount for the sway bar.
My donor has the FE5 "performance ride" suspension. What are the differences in mounting the sway bar to the subframe, and will they be a problem?

RichRich

sweet, always easier if you can get a matching part. I was thinking about welding it on, so could too that route as well if it doesn't work out.