HP Tuners

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
For those of you, like me, that were thinking about getting HP Tuners, you might want to check this out. They have upgraded from MPVI to MPVI-2. The new module is very different, the pricing is different, as are the features. The standard setup (Pro is not yet available) is $299, where the previous version was much more. It doesn't come with any credits that I can tell, but you can buy them for $49 each (2 required for one Cobalt).

Check out this video for more information. I purchased mine this morning and I'm excited to check it out.

***EDIT*** DO NOT use the AEM OBDII Gauge while using HP Tuners!!! Using the OBDII port, you can only use just one at a time, but I hardwired my AEM and it caused all kinds of programming issues!!! Even locked up the ECM twice before I figured out what was happening.

Last edited:

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Two required for one vehicle? I thought it used to be one for a single vehicle and like four for a specific model.

Edit. Looks like it's two credits per vehicle.

Last edited:

Brian74

Goblin Guru
There is also the NGauge. It is not compatible with the Turbo cars (I really wish it was!) but I think it may be compatible with the SC?
6DA196BB-BEF5-4B43-991A-E0C229352F00.png

Ross

Goblin Guru
Does anyone have HP Tuners on a 2006 SC LSJ?
I heard it is the first year that HP Tuners works on, and I'm wondering how much functionality it would give me.
If I buy MPVI2 for $299, and 2 credits @ $49 each, do I have everything I need?

I am not planning on any performance gains right now (I will get to that stage later)
but would like to turn off emission ODBII codes, dash lights need to be turned off (ABS, SRS, etc)
and I would like my power steering to try one of the other 8 car codes. Maybe one of them will work for the sticky tires.
Maybe set my radiator fan lower, as it never turns on... I wonder if it works.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
That is all you need to get started. You won’t be able to disable some of the dash lights like SRS, ABS.

You can disable many CEL codes.

Not sure how you would change anything on the power steering, I have not seen anything for adjustment.

I do believe you can adjust the fan temp, but it doesn’t go crazy low.

You can adjust the top speed limit it you would like. Also you can recalculate the speedometer for and different size tires.

Does anyone have HP Tuners on a 2006 SC LSJ?
I heard it is the first year that HP Tuners works on, and I'm wondering how much functionality it would give me.
If I buy MPVI2 for $299, and 2 credits @ $49 each, do I have everything I need?

I am not planning on any performance gains right now (I will get to that stage later)
but would like to turn off emission ODBII codes, dash lights need to be turned off (ABS, SRS, etc)
and I would like my power steering to try one of the other 8 car codes. Maybe one of them will work for the sticky tires.
Maybe set my radiator fan lower, as it never turns on... I wonder if it works.
I *think* it comes with 8 credits. I purchased it 3 weeks ago along with my F40 conversation kit from ZZP (which stilllllllllll has not shipped...). I bought 2 credits with it before I realized it comes with 8 included.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I *think* it comes with 8 credits. I purchased it 3 weeks ago along with my F40 conversation kit from ZZP (which stilllllllllll has not shipped...). I bought 2 credits with it before I realized it comes with 8 included.
That would be totally new to me. Buying from HP Tuners, it does not come with any credits. 2 universal credits cost $49 and the unit for $299 does not come with any credits. The two that I purchased has been use up on the car and I don’t have any now. I don’t need anymore.

That would be totally new to me. Buying from HP Tuners, it does not come with any credits. 2 universal credits cost $49 and the unit for $299 does not come with any credits. The two that I purchased has been use up on the car and I don’t have any now. I don’t need anymore.
You might be right. I did some googling and saw many references to there being credits included though. If ZZP ever decides to ship my order, I’ll find out. I have the Pro version coming, so there could be a difference there as well.

I did just find this on their help page under the Credit FAQ:
2. What is a credit?
A credit, or more precisely, the current number of available credits is the determining factor on what licenses you can select. Each license type has an associated number of credits that are required to activate it. As an example, when you first purchase VCM Suite, it ships with 8 credits.

Last edited:

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I think that was the previous credit licensing for the MPVI, not the MPVI 2. Now you do not have to purchase the VCM Suite, you can download it for free.

askiles

Goblin Guru
Correct. You buy the MPVi2, download the VCM suite for free, and then purchase any credits you may need. The Cobalt takes 2 credits.

Lame. My truck has a rough idle but won’t throw a code. I was thinking I’d have credits to burn. Guess I’ll just wait for the truck to really mess up and toss a code lol

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Lame. My truck has a rough idle but won’t throw a code. I was thinking I’d have credits to burn. Guess I’ll just wait for the truck to really mess up and toss a code lol
You can read any car without credits! Just cannot write to them. I have read other vehicle without issue (assuming it's a supported model).

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
I heard some people saying that after the initial two credits to open up their vehicle, they still had to buy one more to do writing?

askiles

Goblin Guru
I heard some people saying that after the initial two credits to open up their vehicle, they still had to buy one more to do writing?
You don’t have to buy any credit to download the tune and mess with it. You only have to buy credits to write the tune back to the car.

Ross

Goblin Guru
So what is the competition to HP Tuners?
Trifecta?

HP Tuners Pros/Advantages:
- cheaper than using a replacement ECM/PCM like Holley Dominator EFI Vehicle Management Systems
- allows for engine tuning for most aftermarket power adders.
- You can tune multiple engines with the purchase of additional credits.

Cons/Disadvantages:
- need to buy a wide-band O2 sensor & gauge, MVPI2 and 2 credits.
- large learning curve... or hire an expert.
- limited to the capabilities of the stock GM ECM
(what are these? only 1 fuel rail? Or can you add methanol injectors too? What about adding nitrous? )
- limited to the portion of the GM ECM that HP Tuners has successfully hacked into.

Which wide band would you get? Update: The AEM 30-0300 X-Series Wideband UEGO AFR Sensor Controller Gauge is what I bought.
Does it support a replacement dash screen, with programmable gauges? Update: Yes, you can add a windows tablet, and add gauges to it.
Is there much to be gained by tuning the stock engine? Update: It has helped reduce the jerky throttle in first gear, and now the radiator fan will turn on. Also allows you to remove the emission codes that keep the engine light on, so if your engine has a new malfunction, the indicator light will turn on.

I've watched a bunch of videos about HP Tuners, but I still have a lot to learn.

Last edited:

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
The GM Stage 1 kit requires an ECU reflash. Also, the stock ECU is locked down to where it can't produce more than the rated 260 HP. I'm pretty sure HP Tuners won't allow you to disable the learn down feature. The reflash essentially turns it off.

Last edited:

Ross

Goblin Guru
I thought the whole point of HP Tuners was to reprogram the ECU to do what you want...
It reflashes the ECU every time you upload. What ever HP you want, given the right power adder parts of course.
Right?

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
The GM Stage 1 kit requires an ECU reflash. Also, the stock ECU is locked down to where it can't produce more than the rated 260 HP. I'm pretty sure HP Tuners won't allow you to disable the learn down feature. The reflash essentially turns it off.
Brian, if the ECU cannot be programmed for more than 260HP, then how can many on this forum and other forums report 300 or more HP after doing some tuning?