HP Tuners

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I thought the whole point of HP Tuners was to reprogram the ECU to do what you want...
It reflashes the ECU every time you upload. What ever HP you want, given the right power adder parts of course.
Right?
Not reprogram but change settings.

Download the HP Tuners suite here and play with it to get a better idea of what it can do.

There is a stock and other Cobalt tunes you can load and play around with it.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I don't know how it's done on the backend as I'm not a tuner. Obviously it can be done as there are definitely a lot of LNFs out there with more than 260 HP. All I was saying us that I'm not sure HP Tuners will allow you to change things to get around the GM designed restriction.

Again this only applies to the turbo.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Anyone with an LSJ care to share a HP Tuners log file? I want to know what "normal" is for my LSJ.

I logged all the variables available in HP Tuners, in order to find which variables work, and which don't.
I am curious if my results are typical for an LSJ engine.

Engine Oil Pressure = 0. 0 PSI Do I have a dead or missing sensor?
Startup Intake Air = -36F This log file was made today, in an airconditioned shop, about 75F.
Fuel System #1 Status (SAE) = CL - Fault
LTFT PCM Control = off Should my Long Term Fuel Trims be turned off? I would think not.
Misfire History Cylinder #1 = 148 Should I clear the history data?
Trans Fluid Temp = -40F
Trans Current Gear = 2nd Doesn't work correctly. I used 1st to 4th, and the tach vs speed tells me when I'm shifting.
TCC Slip = 1700 RPM Um, it is a standard, with no Torque Converter.
Fuel Tank Level = 42.9 gal The Cobalt tank isn't even that big.
Fan 1 Status = Unknown: 3F
Fan 2 Status = Unknown: 3D
Fan 3 Status = off

Attachments

Ross

Goblin Guru
Open invitation to anyone wanting to learn HP Tuners:
Kyle at YouTube channel, Goat Rope Garage, has a live chat sessions on Thursday evenings. 8pm EST... 7pm for me, CST.

CajunJeff

Anyone with an LSJ care to share a HP Tuners log file? I want to know what "normal" is for my LSJ.

I logged all the variables available in HP Tuners, in order to find which variables work, and which don't.
I am curious if my results are typical for an LSJ engine.

Engine Oil Pressure = 0. 0 PSI Do I have a dead or missing sensor?
Startup Intake Air = -36F This log file was made today, in an airconditioned shop, about 75F.
Fuel System #1 Status (SAE) = CL - Fault
LTFT PCM Control = off Should my Long Term Fuel Trims be turned off? I would think not.
Misfire History Cylinder #1 = 148 Should I clear the history data?
Trans Fluid Temp = -40F
Trans Current Gear = 2nd Doesn't work correctly. I used 1st to 4th, and the tach vs speed tells me when I'm shifting.
TCC Slip = 1700 RPM Um, it is a standard, with no Torque Converter.
Fuel Tank Level = 42.9 gal The Cobalt tank isn't even that big.
Fan 1 Status = Unknown: 3F
Fan 2 Status = Unknown: 3D
Fan 3 Status = off
I have HPT for my '06 LSJ, I have the stock tune and Stage 1/2 tune files (no difference except the injector flow rate). I'll have to see if I can find them. I'm currently running 42# injectors and the stock Stage 1/2 tune... with a few "tweaks".

And as for the "260HP" thing... part of that with the LSJ is that the ECU (I think it's a P12?) will only allow injector flow values up to around 50 lbs/hr. Guys running 60lb injectors have to do workarounds, like offsetting the voltage/MAP settings and stuff. There's quite a lot of info about it on the HPT forums. Highly recommend reading up there before you do anything with it.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I have HPT for my '06 LSJ, I have the stock tune and Stage 1/2 tune files (no difference except the injector flow rate). I'll have to see if I can find them. I'm currently running 42# injectors and the stock Stage 1/2 tune... with a few "tweaks".

And as for the "260HP" thing... part of that with the LSJ is that the ECU (I think it's a P12?) will only allow injector flow values up to around 50 lbs/hr. Guys running 60lb injectors have to do workarounds, like offsetting the voltage/MAP settings and stuff. There's quite a lot of info about it on the HPT forums. Highly recommend reading up there before you do anything with it.
Thanks CajunJeff.
You have me doing a ton of reading, all good stuff.
https://forum.hptuners.com/showthread.php?39965-LSJ-Guides

askiles

Goblin Guru
I run 60lbs injectors...I could always upload my tune for you guys to check out. It runs very nicely. Very strong. The tune was done by Intense.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I run 60lbs injectors...I could always upload my tune for you guys to check out. It runs very nicely. Very strong. The tune was done by Intense.
I would love to see your tune. Adam made the forum so we can upload *.hpt and *.hpl files.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I am creating a custom stock tune for a Goblin 2.0L SC LSJ.
The changes from a stock Cobalt would be:
- CEL (Check Engine Light) codes eliminated (emission, etc)
- retune the MAF, Volumetric efficiency, and Power Enrichment for the shorter intake and exhaust.
- reduce engine torque in first & second gear at low RPM, so the throttle pedal isn't too touchy.

But....
HP Tuners doesn't seem to be working for my standard F35 transmission. I need this PID (Parameter Identification Data) to work:
Trans Current Gear: 2nd

Does this PID work for other Goblins? It might be an issue with my car.

Ross

Goblin Guru
So what is the competition to HP Tuners?
Trifecta?

HP Tuners Pros/Advantages:
- cheaper than using a replacement ECM/PCM like Holley Dominator EFI Vehicle Management Systems
- allows for engine tuning for most aftermarket power adders.
- You can tune multiple engines with the purchase of additional credits.

Cons/Disadvantages:
- need to buy a wide-band MAP sensor, MVPI2 and 2 credits.
- large learning curve... or hire an expert.
- limited to the capabilities of the stock GM ECM
(what are these? only 1 fuel rail? Or can you add methanol injectors too? What about adding nitrous? )
- limited to the portion of the GM ECM that HP Tuners has successfully hacked into.

Which wide band would you get for the SC engine? You would need at least a 2 bar one, but which one?
Which wide band would you get for a Turbo engine? A 3 or 4 bar one?
Does it support a replacement dash screen, with programmable guages?
Is there much to be gained by tuning the stock engine?

I've watched a bunch of videos about HP Tuners, but I still have a lot to learn.
EFI Live makes FlashScan V2, 1 VIN License is $125, so it is cheaper than HP Tuners, but it apparently has less support than HP Tuners. It might offer access to some different tables than HP Tuners, depending on how much they hacked the GM ECM & TCM.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
HP Tuners doesn't seem to be working for my standard F35 transmission. I need this PID (Parameter Identification Data) to work:
Trans Current Gear: 2nd

Does this PID work for other Goblins? It might be an issue with my car.
I'm not sure you will get a gear selection on a manual transmission. There is no sensor to tell the computer what gear you are in. other than reverse That PID is only for automatics with the TCM. At least that is my understanding.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I edited my first post with this but added it here also so followers would see it. Hardwiring an AEM scan gauge while using HP Tuners is a big no-no. I now unplug the AEM when ever I need to program.

***EDIT*** DO NOT use the AEM OBDII Gauge while using HP Tuners!!! Using the OBDII port, you can only use just one at a time, but I hardwired my AEM and it caused all kinds of programming issues!!! Even locked up the ECM twice before I figured out what was happening.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I edited my first post with this but added it here also so followers would see it. Hardwiring an AEM scan gauge while using HP Tuners is a big no-no. I now unplug the AEM when ever I need to program.

***EDIT*** DO NOT use the AEM OBDII Gauge while using HP Tuners!!! Using the OBDII port, you can only use just one at a time, but I hardwired my AEM and it caused all kinds of programming issues!!! Even locked up the ECM twice before I figured out what was happening.
Is the issue only with the AEM OBDII Gauge?
I plan on hardwiring my wideband this week... but I'm not wiring it to the OBDII port, instead a serial port.
Ross.

This is for reference for builders who are considering engine tuning:
So far HP Tuners and a wideband O2 have cost me $602, to do engine tuning.
Well, this and a windows computer of some sort to run the HP Tuners software (VCM Scanner and VCM Editor).

HP Tuners MPVI2 with 2 Universal Credits 374.95 Amazon
AEM 30-0300 X-Series Wideband UEGO AFR Sensor Controller Gauge 161.48 (The gauge with 2 buttons on the face)

If you have a 2007 or later donor, you can wire the wideband thru the CAN bus, so I think this is all you need.
If you have a pre-CAN bus donor, like my 2006 Cobalt SC, you will need to wire the wideband thru a serial port, then a serial-to-USB adapter:

F-ber Connector DB9 RS232 Female Serial 9 Pin Port DB9 $6.69
TRENDnet USB to Serial Converter, Connect a RS-232 Serial Device to a USB 2.0 Port, Easy Installation, Universal Plug & Play, TU-S9 $11.60

This optional item will allow your wideband to last longer, as boosted engines produce a lot of heat:
Kinugawa Thermo-Isolating O2 Bungs (Screw In) Reducing the exhaust gases (buy some shims too) $34.40 Ebay

Last edited:

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I have no clue if that setup will be an issue or not. I believe the AEM OBDII received commands and may have tried to communicate at the same time as HP Tuners this messing up the programming.

Ross

Goblin Guru
One advantage of running the wideband data thru serial then USB, is that it can't interfere on OBDII communications.
I wonder if we have the same AEM gauge, just wired it differently, as my gauge can be wired thru the CAN bus.
Mine is the AEM 30-0300 X-Series.