IDRVSLO / TRACK / 08 SS TC **REGISTERED** #105

IDRVSLO

Goblin Guru
Day 1 complete...got to pulling wires through the firewall and decided to call it. At what point does everyone scrap their shells? Since the engine was shot there is no way I was going to register it. Not to mention pay tabs etc. I bought it for parts.

Thoughts?

I have the Bill of Sale and signed/released title.

IMG_20180818_183956.jpg

IMG_20180818_184457.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Dre

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I scrapped mine pretty much as soon as I got it stripped. I have plenty of room but didn't want the place to look like a junkyard. If you're sure you have everything off, there is no need to hang on to if if you're taking it in for scrap.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I was afraid of junking mine too quick and then find out I forgot something. I did need to get an ID/OD which is a VIN verification by taking it to a state inspection station, of course this is Missouri and you probably won't need something like that. i titled it in my name as a junk title, which we needed in MO.

just make sure you know what you need for the future before you trash it. Once it's gone, it's gone.

IDRVSLO

Goblin Guru
Dre mentioned that I needed to register as an inop junk vehicle in WA. Was going to go to the DMV today but got too into the teardown.

IDRVSLO

Goblin Guru
Part 7 complete!

Going to complete 8 tomorrow, get the car on rollers and slide it out if the way until it's gone. I will make a temporary table for the wire harness and start that. Wish the videos were done on a manual TC :)

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Make sure you snag the two little o-rings off the donors clutch hose. You’ll need to install them on your goblins steel lines.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Are you talking about the hard plastic line that goes directly into the transmission?
Yup, that's it. Make sure you get them otherwise you'll have mess when you go to bleed the clutch line. (Trust me, it makes a huge mess...)

jamesm

Goblin Guru
One other tip, when you start stripping your wiring harnesses, make sure you keep the cut wires organized and don't let them turn into a big ball in the floor. I wish I would have draped mine over a table or something and grouped them by color. You end up extending like 20-30 wires so you re-use a lot of the cut out wires.

IDRVSLO

Goblin Guru
Thanks, good idea. I am dreading the wire harness but can't justify the $700 to pay to have it done....or can I????

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
The wiring harness is not bad at all. If you do decide to have DF to do yours, there are a couple things to keep in mind. The first thing is that while it will work perfectly, it won't have any custom additions unless you work with them on that. The second thing is turn around time. You could be waiting a long time.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
The harness is actually fairly easy in the grand scheme, it just takes time to do. Take your time, label everything, keep your discard pile neat, and do the videos step by step. I used a bunch of 4” zip ties to keep the bundle neat as I worked through it.

redline

The difficulty of the harness depends greatly on what model you are building. if you are N/A then it is a piece of cake. if you have an SS TC for instance then there is a lot of items that will not be in the video. Now the community here is great and will get you through those issues but the whole time I had a sinking feeling in my gut that something was going to be wrong. Turned out perfect in the end.

IDRVSLO

Goblin Guru
Ok, I am doing it......I will feel more accomplished when complete......and I can customize things along the way.

IDRVSLO

Goblin Guru
Going to register the donor tomorrow to get the title swapped over and then start hunting down a scrap yard to take it away. I am sure my HOA would not be pleased with the stripped down car sitting out in front of the house. Hoping it is gone before my chassis shows up. Starting to post parts on Ebay as all of the Cobalt guys on their FB pages are cheap and want to pay $250 for a door........shipped....