IDRVSLO / TRACK / 08 SS TC **REGISTERED** #105

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
We are going to have to redesign the brackets to work with turbo knuckles. Apparently they are much beefier than the SS supercharged knuckles.

IDRVSLO

Goblin Guru
We are going to have to redesign the brackets to work with turbo knuckles. Apparently they are much beefier than the SS supercharged knuckles.
Sent you guys an email last night.

Looks like I will be postponing my first drive indefinitely unless I can Macgyver something up to make this work. No way am I grinding anything off of my spindle. Shouldn't have to.

nicholas tiratsuyan

I was able to bolt them right up without any modification.
If your using the DF supplied calipers, there is a front and rear caliper mounting bracket.
One bracket version has a "tab" on it and one doesn't. I'll have to look when I get home which one goes to the front and rear.
The original kit comes with 2 sets of cobalt calipers that bolt directly on. If you need a parking brake for your car they send you 1 set of cobalt brakes for the front and one set of Pontiac solstice brakes for the rear. These brakes have a mechanical handbrake which can be used with the stock parking brake lines from the cobalt. I think the reason that the bracket doesn't fit right is because the turbo cars have a different upright than the regular ss cars, which is why Adam and Lonnie had no issue mounting the bracket on their car.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
2008+ cars with the FE5 suspension (i.e., SS/TC) have an updated front knuckle. The current bracket design is probably compatible with FE1, FE3, and pre-2008 FE5 which is why this hasn't come up on the forum until now. I don't recall seeing that many factory turbo builds here.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
I do not have spindles or hubs yet (my donor’s spindles were already gone). I do have FE5 control arms from a 2006. Should I just order the pre-2008 spindles?

IDRVSLO

Goblin Guru
@Lonny and @Adam

Just got off the phone with Lonny this afternoon. They have redesigned the bracket to now work with 08+ TC knuckles. Awesome service! Hoping mine arrives before the weekend or Saturday, 1st drive to follow shortly(weather dependent). I will update my post with pics once mounted.

IDRVSLO

Goblin Guru
Shifter and cables are installed. Anyone have a good idea on routing in the rear?

Also when my cables are not clipped on the rear my shifter moves freely. Once clipped in I can only go forward and backwards. Left and right and completely binding.

Internal cable rods move freely otherwise.

Passenger side clips here correct?
20181222_115124.jpg

Does this routing look right?

20181222_114242.jpg

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
The cable look routed just fine. The right cable in the photos may have to be shortened. We had to cut about 1/2" of threads off of both ends of the cable. Also the mount of the same cable on the bracket has nearly no threads sticking out the top of the nut again in order to shorten it.

The easiest way to begin the adjustment is to take the cup joint off of the ball on the fork lever, then have someone center the shifter from left to right and hold it there. Now line up the cup and the ball and you will see the amount of adjustment you will need to adjust either by shortening the cable or adjusting it.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Here is how we have ours setup. The only way to get the one cable short enough is to cut some of the end off. However your shifting fork looks different than mine, so don't start chopping them up because I said so. Your adjustment maybe different than ours.

DSCN0067.JPG
DSCN0068.JPG

IDRVSLO

Goblin Guru
Lonny did mention cutting them in another thread.

Brakes are on. Lonny and Adam are awesome. They got my new brackets out to me today and they work perfect!

Unfortunately the brakes and shifter are the least of my worries. I have a huge leak at the bleeder on the clutch line on the transmission. Definitely coming from that location. When I take off the inspection cover I see it coming out.

Going to order a new bleeder and another internal pipe for the transmission just incase I messed that up when I installed it.

Was going to drive it on Tuesday for the first time...oh well!

20181222_141909.jpg
20181222_142334.jpg