Indiana Registration

EcoRich

Guys, I found this relatively recent post on a Factory Five forum and thought it would be worth sharing for us Indiana builders:

Indiana Title and Registration process

I have recently completed titling and registration in the state of Indiana. I got bits and pieces from some guys here as well as other online sources but didn’t find anything that took me through it start to finish. I’ll try to detail the process and my experiences as completely as possible. Please keep in mind that this information is correct to the best of my knowledge as of the date of this post. The state might throw a curve or change up at any time!

I first visited my local BMV License Branch to discuss the process and pick up the beginning paperwork. You can skip that though by going to: http://www.in.gov/bmv/files/AFFIDAVI...INSPECTION.pdf and printing State Form 39530 “Affidavit of Police Officer physical inspection of an Indiana resident’s VEHICLE”. (Ignore the watercraft form unless you’re planning to use your Cobra as a boat!) You now need to have a police officer inspect the car, verify that there is no actual VIN, record serial numbers for major components (specified as engine, transmission and “other”) and complete the form. I rebuilt a donor engine so when I painted the block I made sure to tape off the S/N pad so the stamp would remain legible. Same with the transmission although in my case the officer wasn’t interested in getting under the car to check it; he was satisfied to have the engine number only. If you have a crate engine there won’t be numbers so the officer may note it as N/A.
Now you go to the BMV with the following:
---the completed 39530 form
---your FFR certificate of origin
---your FFR invoice (they must have this to determine sales tax to be paid)
---a picture of the car. When I had the police inspection I was in the midst of bodywork with the body off and didn’t know they required a photo. The officer kind of gave me a wink & nudge and said “If you take them a picture of another car like it no one will be the wiser” so that’s what I did!
---a bill of sale for the “major components” not included with the kit; i.e. engine & transmission. I had the donor title in my name as well as a bill of sale for it. For crate motors & trans take a copy of your receipt.
---$11.50 fee for MVIN title application

At the BMV they will work with you to complete State Form 12907/ T-1A “Application for special identification number for motor vehicle, house car and other self assembled motor vehicles”. This form, along with the documents mentioned above are then sent to the main office in Indianapolis to be processed. About 5-6 weeks later the state will mail State Form T-1N “Permission for motor vehicle identification number” along with your assigned VIN. SUCCESS!!! Now you stamp the issued VIN onto either a number plate affixed to the chassis or directly onto the frame and have the police officer return to complete Form T-1N verifying that the number is in place. Along with the letter you received with the VIN and T-1N form will be a calculation of the sales tax owed (Oh Joy!) at the time of registration. Once you have the signed T-1N you return to the BMV, complete one last form, State form 205 “Application for certificate of title”, pay the sales tax, title and registration fees and you’re done! You will walk out with license plates and a significantly lighter wallet. The actual title will arrive in the mail a few weeks later.

I ultimately didn't have any problems or complications but I did make copies of all completed forms, FFR C.O. and Invoice before turning them over. I also got everyones name that I dealt with just in case conflicting information or statements arose. All in all it is a pretty painless process, just a lot of paperwork but no real roadblocks; much better and simpler than many states. With the exception of a few counties in the far northeast corner of the state there are no emission standards and at no point is it required that the cars undergo mechanical &/or safety inspections.

As assigned by the state of Indiana my car came away titled and registered as:
Year---1965
Make--- Factory Five Racing
Model---FFR65
Body---Convertible

Hope this helps future builders and good luck!

Jeff

So, doesn't seem too difficult. But, I wonder if using an actual picture of a Goblin would screw everything up?

BTW 2 things; FFR=FactoryFiveRacing, and two, use the search function for the 39530 form on the BMV website as the link mentioned in the post isn't working.

Tony

I wonder if "Jeff" is the same Cobra-owning and -building Jeff that I know from the local AutoX group... might have to get in touch with him!