Insurance choices.

Tony

I'm still having a hard time with insurance. If you've been following my thread, nothing new here. I got told by AMIG (who is already insuring at least 2 other Goblins) that they won't issue a policy unless I have body panels, and even then it's almost $700/yr instead of the ~$250 other people are claiming. I had a policy set up from Classic Collectors for under $500/yr, but after paying up front and signing documents, they changed their mind and said they won't insure an "off-road" vehicle.

I'm getting a bit frustrated and don't really know where to go from here. I may just have to suck it up and get the body panels.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
That sucks, I'm still a few months out from being street legal and haven't started looking for insurance.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Insurance costs per year vary widely across the country, state to state, and city to city. If you live in a sparsely populated area in a red state, your premiums will be far less than living in a large metro area in a blue state. Being in Phoenix I already know my premiums will be much higher than living someplace like Nothing AZ - you need to look this one up. ;)

kalishek

Just purchased a 1993 H1 Humvee 998 from Texas. Went to Hagerty for insurance $600 per year. About twice what I pay for 2007 MX-5 in Tulsa, OK. Hagerty will insure custom vehicles (and military vehicles) but might not be the most cost effective. They required photos of interior, exterior, and engine.

Christopher Sanchez

Just purchased a 1993 H1 Humvee 998 from Texas. Went to Hagerty for insurance $600 per year. About twice what I pay for 2007 MX-5 in Tulsa, OK. Hagerty will insure custom vehicles (and military vehicles) but might not be the most cost effective. They required photos of interior, exterior, and engine.
I sent a application in there preliminary quote was high but waiting to hear back.

Attachments

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Here is the response I got from Hagerty.
"Hi Ron,

After reviewing the pictures of your DF Goblin kit car Hagerty said they cannot insure this type of vehicle. It doesn't fit in their guidelines of insuring classic collector vehicles. They don't feel it holds any collector value.

Thank you for inquiring. "

Christopher Sanchez

I got the same rejection from the same agent. I finally found NCM Insurance, and while they're a bit more expensive, they will give coverage.
"Hi Ron,

After reviewing the pictures of your DF Goblin kit car Hagerty said they cannot insure this type of vehicle. It doesn't fit in their guidelines of insuring classic collector vehicles. They don't feel it holds any collector value.

yea my hopes were pretty low with them as their website does not even list kit cars as an option.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
"Hi Ron,

I hate to say this, but they do have a point. I'm not sure there are many builders who put a Goblin together for their collector value. I went with State Farm and had zero issues. I was able to get a temp card the same day. It only took a few minutes to have it added to my existing policy. I did have to send pictures and I was a bit worried what they'd say after they saw them, but I haven't had any issues in almost a year.

I'm paying about $900/year for full coverage and a $250 deductible. I like the idea that it's covered like my daily driver and I have no mileage limitations or any other goofy rules like other insurance companies have. It really all depends on how much you're willing to pay.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
I have mine insured with State Farm too. I had to go back and forth with the underwriters a couple times but they insured it just like the rest of my vehicles.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I have Progressive insurance, full coverage, $430/6months, $500 deductable on a $20,000 estimated value vehicle.

Tony

Full $0 comp deductible $0 collision deductible only 5000 miles a year. No daily transportation
I wish I knew what kind of confounded system they're using to come up with numbers. Even before they told me no, the quote was closer to $700/yr, and that was with a 1000/500 (collision/comp) deductible. It's not like I'm in a busy city or high crime area... middle of Cornfieldsville Indiana.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
There's so much more that goes into insurance its hard to compare, when I moved from middle of Cornfiledville Illinois to Missouri my insurance dropped $200 a year, then I got married and combined everything dropped even more, then turned 24 or 25 (cant remember) and it dropped more, when I went from a renter to a home owner it dropped again.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
There's so much more that goes into insurance its hard to compare, when I moved from middle of Cornfiledville Illinois to Missouri my insurance dropped $200 a year, then I got married and combined everything dropped even more, then turned 24 or 25 (cant remember) and it dropped more, when I went from a renter to a home owner it dropped again.
Can confirm. I'm a programmer at an insurance agency. There's so much that goes into it...

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Then your son gets a speeding ticket and destroys all those discounts!