Introduction from the Valley of the Sun

MartinB

Folks;

I am new to this forum.
Martin Beavers
Scottsdale AZ

I have been a vehicle nut since my Dad and I started racing Karts in late 1950s Lots of motorcycles.
Built and raced what are now called Mini-Stocks. Basically a four cylinder tube chassis late model.

Built a 1950’s Porsche Spyder 550 replica from a kit.

Assisted my daughter in building a number of air cooled VW street custom cars.

Now that I am retired and no longer wanting to weld and notch tubing I am looking for a Toy to build.

A NA Goblin seems to match my interests and hand/eye coordination as I now 72.

Best wish to all the DF Goblin enthusiasts

Martin

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Welcome to the forum. This sounds like a perfect project for you. It will keep you busy during the retirement.

And another for AZ! Seems to be a lot of there in that state lately.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Welcome to the forum. This sounds like a perfect project for you. It will keep you busy during the retirement.

And another for AZ! Seems to be a lot of there in that state lately.
Maybe our weather has something to do with it? Not sure, but when a Goblin can be driven almost any day of the year (yes, even when it is 115 outside) makes building one seem more practical with no 'hibernation' season. :cool:

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Maybe our weather has something to do with it? Not sure, but when a Goblin can be driven almost any day of the year (yes, even when it is 115 outside) makes building one seem more practical with no 'hibernation' season. :cool:
Yeah, but, the hibernation makes one appreciate the ride even more.

I know I sure felt like I had to wait a long time for the first ride of the season.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Yeah, but, the hibernation makes one appreciate the ride even more.

I know I sure felt like I had to wait a long time for the first ride of the season.
Chad, it's all good. I moved from the Chicago area 12 years ago to get away from the 'hibernation' season. The redeeming factor of having one is downtime to get things fixed/completed/modified before the next driving season. Down here, our 'hibernation' season is middle of summer - when it is 115 plus for several weeks - and it is too hot to work on your car in the garage. Adding heat to a work space is easier than taking it away. Thanks for the input.

deuc224

Next year if you guys do a meet in AZ im game for that, im in El Paso so its about a 6 hour drive, im sure the goblin can make that trip:eek:

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Chad, it's all good. I moved from the Chicago area 12 years ago to get away from the 'hibernation' season. The redeeming factor of having one is downtime to get things fixed/completed/modified before the next driving season. Down here, our 'hibernation' season is middle of summer - when it is 115 plus for several weeks - and it is too hot to work on your car in the garage. Adding heat to a work space is easier than taking it away. Thanks for the input.
No worries. My winky emoji didn’t show up in my post.

Christopher Sanchez

Next year if you guys do a meet in AZ im game for that, im in El Paso so its about a 6 hour drive, im sure the goblin can make that trip:eek:
I would be open to this as well, I am 2 1/2 hours away from El Paso. Glad to hear there’s another goblin owner relatively close to my area! I may be the only one in New Mexico so far.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Guys, not to sound like a school hall monitor, but I think we got a little off subject here, including myself. This is an introduction for Martin and we should be asking him about his plans for a donor and a Goblin.

MartinB

My current plan is for a track version frame for a na street legal car.
My biggest concern is licensing. For family considerations I may be going to California.
Right now I am in AZ which seems to be one of the easiest states to license a kit car. Doing one years ago was a snap. From what I read CA is rather ugly to deal with.
Just trying to plan
Have a great weekend

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
My current plan is for a track version frame for a na street legal car.
My biggest concern is licensing. For family considerations I may be going to California.
Right now I am in AZ which seems to be one of the easiest states to license a kit car. Doing one years ago was a snap. From what I read CA is rather ugly to deal with.
Just trying to plan
Have a great weekend
Does it help to have it built and licensed in one state and then move to another, rather than trying to first license it in CA?

MartinB

I figure I will need to speak with one of the “Ricer” hot rod shops. Find out how those folks work around the emission laws.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
I figure I will need to speak with one of the “Ricer” hot rod shops. Find out how those folks work around the emission laws.
Martin, it's not just the emissions laws - which are almost the same as Cali when living in Maricopa county - but the additional safety stuff required in Cali versus Arizona. I'm not 100% sure, but someone on the forum may be familiar enough with the Cali requirements to provide a list. I'm fairly certain that even if a Goblin is built in Arizona, it will need to have the Cali required equipment added to have it registered and licensed there.

MartinB

Martin, it's not just the emissions laws - which are almost the same as Cali when living in Maricopa county - but the additional safety stuff required in Cali versus Arizona. I'm not 100% sure, but someone on the forum may be familiar enough with the Cali requirements to provide a list. I'm fairly certain that even if a Goblin is built in Arizona, it will need to have the Cali required equipment added to have it registered and licensed there.
I am ok with the equipment. But I believe the “age” of the build dictates the emissions equipment. But I am not sure.

G Atsma

Goblin Guru
In California, anything newer than '75 is smogged. So make sure your Goblin is a pre-'75 Anything if you want to get around smog.

MartinB

Isn’t comparing a rear engine exo skeleton car to a Lotus7 or Locost, a bit of a stretch?
I know a bit of imagination.