Is it worth it to splurge on the donor?

JRocket

I'm still debating taking the plunge into this kit, and had a question regarding the donor.

I was throwing around the idea of getting a running/driving donor to drive for a month or so and then order the kit. There are some donors that are somewhat near me that have some mods on them already, short throw shifters, FMIC, BOV, downpipe/exhaust, etc. Do any of these kinds of mods transfer over to the kit to justify the extra $ on purchasing the donor? I think that I have decided on going with an 09-10 SS/TC for my donor. I like the idea of an LSJ and swap to a turbo later, but I don't think that I want to go through the hassle of installing a turbo kit after finishing building the whole kit.

I'm looking forward to getting into one. Does anyone have one in Georgia??

Thanks!

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Installing a turbo on the goblin is incredibly easy, and complete supercharger takeoffs sell for $500 all day long.
I think that I have decided on going with an 09-10 SS/TC for my donor. I like the idea of an LSJ and swap to a turbo later, but I don't think that I want to go through the hassle of installing a turbo

JRocket

Installing a turbo on the goblin is incredibly easy, and complete supercharger takeoffs sell for $500 all day long.
Do the factory turbo setups off of the LNF fit on the LSJ with these kits? I was mainly concerned with anything that I purchase aftermarket fitting in the frame of the kit.

Or would I need to get a turbo kit from ZZP or OTTP or something like that?

JSATX

Goblin Guru
I used a Saab 93 manifold and turbo initially. Current build uses a ZZP manifold and Garrett T3/TO4. The exhaust side of the engine is almost completely open, can pretty much use whatever your wallet allows.
14632C85-9940-4958-A6E4-C52F027B55BD.jpeg

(Old picture)

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
As soon as the state gets me a title. I am going to do something similar to Justin. Some Saab 9-3 parts a, new turbo, and some other items. I am only looking to be at the 225- 250hp range. Well until that is done then I'm sure I will want more.

At this time in the build my $500 donor cost me -$96. Yes that is 96 to the good side of cash in pocket.

JRocket

As soon as the state gets me a title. I am going to do something similar to Justin. Some Saab 9-3 parts a, new turbo, and some other items. I am only looking to be at the 225- 250hp range. Well until that is done then I'm sure I will want more.

At this time in the build my $500 donor cost me -$96. Yes that is 96 to the good side of cash in pocket.
Where'd you get your donor from? I was checking out copart.com. Not sure where else to look reliably for salvaged cars.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Where'd you get your donor from? I was checking out copart.com. Not sure where else to look reliably for salvaged cars.
Found it on craigslist. Not far from home. I looked for about a month. I did not look hard because I was not convinced that this was what I wanted to build. At the same time I had the chance to buy a 31 ford street rod. It needed a complete redo it was nice just dated. I wanted some better handling so I went with the Goblin.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I think it depends on the state you live in. I read about it on Copart's website. Probably on IAAI's website too.