James's Extended Track Goblin - 06 LS donor

jamesm

Goblin Guru
I did a little digging in the Chilton library and finally found the spot for the backup lights. Luckily, that was one of the few wires I didn't cut super short so I'll be able to solder it back together.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Entry Hours: 11
Total Hours: 49

Completed Activities:
Finished video 12, 13, and most of 14
Replaced clutch kit
Replaced timing set
degreased and pressure washed engine and transmission

Planned Activities:
Finish video 14 and install harness in chassis
Paint engine
Round up everything and start the final assembly.

Drb0n6M9QSe2yrlPVuf6Ug.jpg HoqatasRS1uSkIO%JJRqog.jpg 8NORDDEnQEuI1EBY9AqDkA.jpg

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Entry Hours: 6
Total Hours: 55

Completed Activities:
Painted engine and various parts / brackets / mounts / axles

Planned Activities:
ZjKoPOneTeiPqpCBcAfFZQ.jpg 2zyh1OSUSJGuzHAYxYM4iQ.jpg lkE1O8BgQyW+aCiunAD9NA.jpg UvyfgRgRQn+1+Ki4rz2yzQ.jpg GOsKf5lTTjSX0ijWrPqThw.jpg A1QkNWjwQxGvpI76Fp3zuQ.jpg qpg5uCexSb2M+PvLhEHsqQ.jpg 8hHBNBaWQGOC389epr+Y3g.jpg p6%GLEhGSM2XuU3hChdTEg.jpg JBuf9x8yS8mDB%rVDT+LYA.jpg

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Entry Hours: 4
Total Hours: 59

Completed Activities:
Installed engine
Reassembled rear end
Temped in seats to test
Started installing brakes
Separated steering shaft and painted

Planned Activities:

I think they are as excited as I am about finishing the car:
mz0lrrsxQbOmXLaCABdBoA.jpg

We went full on redneck on the steering shaft... Wrapped a ratchet strap around the posts on the front of the donor and used it to pull the shaft apart.
fullsizeoutput_e36.jpeg

Progress pictures:
oD7Xd2o+QmWQUEtnTBJmlw.jpg DeckqjF9REO0At4BXYUiKA.jpg unS79mV0Roms7GAF1cjwGw.jpg 66zHgZnHS7qX6lROXEAgDg.jpg y5Ll+MysQhebUSCMPVp+ZQ.jpg

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Entry Hours: 9
Total Hours: 68

Completed Activities:
Finished wiring harness and installed
Installed replacement alternator and starter
Cleaned and reinstalled engine wiring
Started wrapping up the brakes

Planned Activities:
Finish brakes
Adjust shifter cables
Install steering components
Install seats and harnesses
Wire up headlights, turn signals, and rear lights
Install fuel pump and filler neck
Finish radiator plumbing
Install intake and air cleaner
Fill fluids
Check torque on all fasteners
Fire up and being functional testing

jamesm

Goblin Guru
I have almost all the main bits done so I thought I'd give the engine a go and see if she'd turn over. When I turn the key to crank, there are several relays that click and the computers all reboot... Guess I've got an electrical gremlin to track down...

Reactions: Dre

jamesm

Goblin Guru
A buddy came over tonight and we cranked out a ton of work, we buttoned up pretty much everything for the engine and fired it up. It took a couple cranks but she fired right up.

I think I have a problem with the crank position sensor as I’m not getting any tach readings and the engine is running really weird. There may be something else going on too because it won’t throttle down to idle when I let off the accelerator and it spontaneously increases RPM on its own.

Dre

I have almost all the main bits done so I thought I'd give the engine a go and see if she'd turn over. When I turn the key to crank, there are several relays that click and the computers all reboot... Guess I've got an electrical gremlin to track down...
What did it end up being?

jamesm

Goblin Guru
My original issue was I didn’t have the block connectors tightened down enough so it wasn’t making good connection.

I still have the high rpm problem... I cleaned the throttle body out when I had it off to paint the engine. I did notice that the butterfly really doesn’t move much when I push the accelerator down, dunno if that matters or not.

I hooked my odb reader up and cleared all the codes then started it. All I get are evap codes.

I’ve been plugging away at all the other little stuff this morning while I try to figure out the rpm thing.

One other thing I need to figure out is the nipple on the intake tube, I’m not sure where it goes...

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Got the intake vent figured out.

I’m trying to adjust the shifter cables and I can’t get it in first, the counterweight is hitt By the frame. Any ideas?
image.jpg

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
You will need to remove some of the counterweight.
A four-inch grinder with a cut of wheel works really well.

Last edited:

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
Trial and error.
That only happens with base manual transmission and we have only installed one of them so we are not sure how much to remove.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Any ideas on the tach? I’m not getting anything on the instrument cluster and the odb reader shows 0.

IDRVSLO

Goblin Guru
Just reading up on your titling issues. I didnt transfer the donor I bought into my name before scrapping it. The DMV said I didnt need to and the scrap yard also didnt need me to. I had the Bill of Sale and notarized/signed title. Hopefully it doesnt come back to bite me in the rear. I took copies of the title. I have pretty clear cut proof where everything came from and the engine I am getting will be a new LDK from ZZP.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Trial and error.
That only happens with base manual transmission and we have only installed one of them so we are not sure how much to remove.
I wish I would of known that before I installed mine. Easier to trim outside of the car.

Reactions: Dre