James's Extended Track Goblin - 06 LS donor

jamesm

Goblin Guru
I wish I would of known that before I installed mine. Easier to trim outside of the car.
It was a ***** to trim in the car. Depending how far you are, it might be easier to drop the engine back out. It also need to be trim kind of on an angle. I’ll post a picture of what I did in a little bit. Trying to do the throttle body re-learn procedure and see if that fixes my height idle condition.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
I finally got my high idle condition under control. Turns out it's super easy to get the throttle body position sensor out of wack. I cleaned the TB before I painted it so once I reinstalled it, the computer though it needed to be in the old, dirty position so it was getting way more air than it needed. It took several cycle of running it then letting it sit then running it to get it to relearn the new position.

My tach still isn't working and I'm not reading any rpm on the ODB2 reader either. I did get a P0335 code about the crankshaft position sensor when I took it out for a drive so I'm going to start digging into that and see if that's the problem.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
So I took the goblin out for a spin down the back road and man does it have some power! I have a ton of bump steer (it hasn't been aligned yet) so I didn't go crazy but it's definitely going to be a fun toy to drive around. Everything was going great until I started loosing engine power and we ended up coasting to a stop... Instrument panel was dark, starter just clicked... Glad I had my ODB reader with me, main power was down to 7 volts... Guess there's something not right with the new alternator I installed. Had to make the call of shame to have my wife come tow me home...

DsquItGnTTWnkeEDk9BWPA.jpg

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Here's some pictures about trimming the shifter counterbalance.

Before: After:
image.jpg RkkY0GGqTlij2cvMFCgQVg.jpg

Here's a couple additional angles. I need to go back and clean up my cut, I change my mind on the angle part way through...
2DthmD4JRMOpYM4t9B9Rog.jpg bcTiH8%dRL++ni59TAI45g.jpg JTFsXdEDR+i4WCaBPF8LBg.jpg

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Whew... I think I finally have enough stuff finished to schedule my inspection. I'm planning on taking it up without any of the body panels to see if I can follow in the "highway buggy" footsteps of some other other builders.

I still have the tach problem and it appears that my replacement alternator doesn't work so I need to return it and get another one.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
We have a shop car that the tach would not read and Adam found that the crank trigger was not plugged in.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
What are you calling a crank trigger? I do have a couple connectors that aren't plugged up but I thought they were for the AC compressor.

Do you have a picture of where it goes?

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
It it's a sensor on the engine block near the transmission above the starter. Kinda hard to get to.
There are two sensors near each other. One is a knock sensor and the other is the crank trigger. I just left the shop or I would try and get a pic of it. You may be able to Google it.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
If your doner had front end damage it could have severed the wires going to those sensors.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Ah. I know which one you mean. There are 3 sensors there on mine, the oil pressure sender, the knock sender and the crankshaft position sensor. I did take that sensor out when I painted the engine and I've gotten several crankshaft position sensor codes. I'll pull the starter and see I can re-seat that sensor and check the connections for it.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Alrighty, I think I have most of my bugs worked out. The tach started working once cleaned and reseated the crank position sensor. I also got a new alternator locally and it works like a champ so the bad one is going back to Rock Auto on Tuesday.

I test fit the engine cover... boy it's a pain to get in position...

I'm going to paint and install the side panels tomorrow and maybe try to do a basic alignment on Monday.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Alrighty, I think I have most of my bugs worked out. The tach started working once cleaned and reseated the crank position sensor. I also got a new alternator locally and it works like a champ so the bad one is going back to Rock Auto on Tuesday.

I test fit the engine cover... boy it's a pain to get in position...

I'm going to paint and install the side panels tomorrow and maybe try to do a basic alignment on Monday.
Don't forget not to puncture the lower radiator tubes when installing the sides.

RichRich

my frame has tabs welded in from df that the pre drilled holes in the side panels line up with

jamesm

Goblin Guru
What did you connect to this vent?
I didn't see anything to hook up to it, so I capped it.
I don’t remember what thread it was in but it’s the vent from the intake to the valve cap. I used some left over barbs and tubing to make a line for it.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Hey all, I haven't done a whole lot lately as I've been traveling for work. I did get to take the Goblin out for a little drive today and boy does it need an alignment...

I'm hoping I can get my inspection complete some time in the next few weeks and get street legal before it starts getting cold :)

Reactions: Dre