James's Extended Track Goblin - 06 LS donor

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I wouln't bank on that working without more research. The only thing I had to worry about was proof of ownership (title) of the donor. After I trashed the donor and surrendered the junk title to the salvage yard, I darn near screwed myself because I didn't have the proof of ownership. Luckily they accepted the receipt for title as proof.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
The title I have is really screwed up so I don't think I can register it anywhere as-is. I did a little digging and unfortunately, I think the abandoned property process is my best bet right now.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
I have to send a Missouri form via certified mail to the previous owners then wait at least 30 days before I submit the abandoned property affidavit and title application. From what I was told at the local office, it can take 3-6 months for it to be processed.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
That really stinks! I feel for you. One of those types of problems that is out of your control. Well, if it helps, it took me about that long to prep the donor items and wait for the frame before I could started with the build. It was about 9 months from the time I got the donor and finished the car and registered it.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
You live, you learn, I guess.... I saw someone else here refer to this type of learning as an "educational tax" LOL... My chassis is supposed to be ready for pick up next weekend so I have that to look forward to. I already got the junk title back from the state on my second donor so as soon as I can get it into the local shop to get the AC evacuated, I'll start tearing it down.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Whew... today was a long day. Made the trek from Southwest Missouri to Adam and Lonny’s shop to pick up my kit. It was great to meet the guys and get a ride in Lonny’s goblin.

92BDB03D-921F-4E32-A7A0-0C40417D4C1F.jpeg7787E3B2-04E4-4857-8792-D52C4F902FC0.jpegEC6FC8BF-7D53-4F87-A5BB-1709B2942528.jpeg513FF1DC-2F21-451F-B283-1D5A58B57114.jpegBC94FADE-53DB-43EE-9099-997E46725E01.jpegAB3CBB4F-84CF-4562-9547-7C3BA1D47DC7.jpeg3C9465DE-1FF0-40E2-A0C3-11CD693E58C3.jpeg

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Got a few bits done tonight. I have an appointment with a local shop to get the AC evac'ed on Friday morning so I'm trying to do some stuff in the mean time.

Entry Hours: 3
Total Hours: 3 (I'm restarting my total timer since I had to change donors)

Completed Activities:
Floor plan and front bulkhead installed
Front uprights assembled
Control arms prepped

Planned Activities:
Install brake tees and lines
Finish radiator hose connections
Install fuel tank

fullsizeoutput_e17.jpeg SIdh4JMhS9GzAoiDAGySzg.jpg nyKC9LWASEWfygJJ4OdCow.jpg I4q8OCA4QWSyX++jxcJdqg.jpg fullsizeoutput_e14.jpeg

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Entry Hours: 2.5
Total Hours: 5.5

Completed Activities:
Install brake tees and lines
Finish radiator hose connections
Install fuel tank
mocked up the front suspension. I'm glad I decided to do this, I realized I had assembled the uprights backwards

Planned Activities:
Degrease/pressure wash donor engine

ttJq9QyJQNCLQ8rikZ4Qkw.jpg Aak85I4SSA+vYZFGoEJHlw.jpg 8iAfVd1nSmOYYoD+Sl5IgA.jpg T88CG2A2QEux7c943yUWQg.jpg

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I did the same thing when installing my front brake lines. I pointed them down too. They actually point to the rear of the car.

Easy to fix. Just something that stuck out. Looks good.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Ah. Thanks for the tip.

So far things seem to be going well. I'm not sure what else I can do until I get my donor stripped.

redline

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Seems to be a common issue. I'm so glad that everyone here posts so many pictures, it's really helpful to have references when working through the build.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Entry Hours: 5
Total Hours: 10.5

Completed Activities:
Got AC evac'ed at local shop
Began stripping the donor. We got all the frontend stuff off, radiator, AC, computer, etc. We would have had the engine out but the bolts for the subframe are being a *****. We broke a couple sockets, a ratchet, and a couple adapters trying to get them loose.

Planned Activities:
I'm going to get some different impact sockets tomorrow morning and see if we can get the subframe bolts out.
Once the engine is out, strip the dash and interior

XcIAeIkDRJWNCES0JmN1AA.jpg YIvh%rtPSh2uOZkEq+wstQ.jpg yAhMs3b4R4G2qPksQF2Y0g.jpg

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Don't do like I did, try and take off the welded nut on the subframe when I should have been trying to take off the bolt. The mount in the front is the one I'm talking about. You can also just take off the engine mount and leave it attached to the subframe for now. But you are probably having issues with other larger bolts.

1532778546362.png

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Then one that’s giving us trouble is the large bolts that goes through the rear of the control arm and up into the frame.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Entry Hours: 6
Total Hours: 16.5

Completed Activities:
Finished stripping donor
Removed wiring harness from engine

Planned Activities:
Clean/prep/paint donor parts

uIM053GLS+SXTva6ZohIcg.jpg Mcuye5ETTEyavOsilf91rw.jpg %qvH+40LQfWNwOPpKb7o7w.jpg Ty2qRCjxScqO3cHbTTJyug.jpg CfGutU1iS0iMDO74SGIIxQ.jpg 76nMZWW5Qx6vOYg6ecVXIg.jpg cerin2i+Rjqnt2iYcw94JQ.jpg YZHzi7N6TmC6G3HnQrq1aQ.jpg A3FgKySwSFWTpPUwitm4aA.jpg 6SX6AK25Rq6cGb6lvpZ5Kw.jpg

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
That's the fun part.

Did you remove the ambient air temp sensor? I never did find mine and had to buy a new one. I know, real important, right? It just bugged me that I didn't have it and I wanted it to complete the car.

I was so afraid of throwing something away that I might need and didn't realize it. I had a huge box of parts just in case. I finally tossed all of it a couple of weeks ago. It feels good to finally clean up and finalize everything. You're moving right along and will be there in no time also!

jamesm

Goblin Guru
I'm sure the sensor is in the pile, lol!

I'm the same way. I won't get rid of any of it until my goblin is completely done, tagged and registered.

I'm going to have to buy a few more replacement parts than I was expecting. We ended up having to cut one of the rear frame bolts with a saw because the bolt has rusted to the bushing sleeve.

Reactions: Dre