James's Extended Track Goblin - 06 LS donor

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Long time, no post... I've had so much other stuff going on that I haven't had much time to devote to the Goblin. I finally heard back from State Police and was able to get my VIN plate installed the other day. I have a few bits to finish up and I think I'll be able to finally get my final inspection and tags...

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Finally got a chance to haul off the old donor. The local scrap yard was paying $140/ton for scrap cars so I walked away with a check for $135. not bad for a big pile of crap. It's nice to have the space back in my shop!

foWg1W5uQtqitW9Yb1UHtg.jpgB+mdGZoDR2KuE7EEPKDD8g.jpg

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Got a nice little surprise in the mail, my title! All I need to do now is finish up a few switches and get inspected and I'll be legal.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Well... It only took 3 1/2 weeks of back and forth with the underwriters but I finally have insurance. That was the last piece before I could get my tags. Fortunately, we have a really good license office here in town so it only took about 5 minutes to get my tags. I have a few more minor things to button up before I take my body panels to the shop to get wrapped but I'll be able to drive it there!

jamesm

Goblin Guru
So today’s been productive and fun. I finished up almost all the wiring for my switch panel ( dome light, hazard lights, horn, light bar, and usb charger). All that’s left is to dissect the Info/Enter button and move those functions to a switch in the panel.

The wife and I drove the goblin to the parts store to get some fuses and connectors, then took a second trip out for lunch. Aside from wanting a helmet (for the wind, not for my driving lol), she enjoyed the ride so that’s a big plus.

I took it out a little bit ago for some highway “testing”. The steering is still really sensitive and not as stable as I’d like. I’m also loosing power part of the time and the limp mode indicator occasionally flashes on the dash. I’m going to put the reader on it tomorrow and see if I can figure out why it’s mad... It has great power from a standing start. As long as I’m accelerating, it seems to be fine, it’s when I reach a cruise speed ( fast or slow, doesn’t matter) that the power starts fading.

I also see what y’all were saying about the hot air coming from under the hood... definitely gonna have to find a solution for that too...

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Ok... so I’m a little stumped on the limp mode thing. The bulk of the codes I see are about the #2 O2 sensor and the EVAP system. There is a P0507 - Idle above normal/ Idle air control code that might be related. I’m going to check around for a vacuum leak but if that doesn’t pan out, I’m not sure where to go. It’s weird that it only does it at a steady cruising rpm.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
James, in case you did not know, there is a Ford Mustang on the web that is done up with an Old Crow paint job. You may want to look it up to see if it is close to what you are planning to do.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Yeah. Ford and EAA auction off a mustang at AirVenture every year. Theirs isn't super true to the original plane but they did a good job on it and it looks really nice.

Speaking of designs, I think we've got mind all worked out and the graphics place is printing them. Hopefully, I'll be able to get all the parts finished and installed this week so the car will be "done"...

jamesm

Goblin Guru
You and me both! I've wanted to call the graphics guy like 3 or 4 times today and ask when it will be done!

Here's the flat proofs so y'all have an idea of what it will look like.

Hood
hood take 1.jpg

Sides
left side take 2.jpg
right side take 2.jpg

Engine covers
engine covers top view.jpg

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
SWEET!!! I love the distressed paint and the polished aluminum with rivets look. You NEED to get a photo of your Goblin with the Mustang - the P51 - if you ever get a chance. :D

jamesm

Goblin Guru