Jeffrey's City Goblin SS Turbo Illusion Purple

Jlarson524

I'm pretty sure they should all be the same size.
So just out of curiosity I pulled the 12mm bolts out and threaded the 14mm right in... I pulled both 12mm bolts out and they are both different. you can see in the attached photo the 14mm bolt is the far right one. the 2 on the left are from the caliper... I think I am going to just go buy some 14mm bolts so they all match. is that a good Idea? from what I can tell from the boxes there is 2 for the left side and 2 for the right side.

Attachments

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
If it's just the wrench size that's different, then it shouldn't matter too much. As long as it threads in and is of similar length, you should be fine.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Also, I have found out that a bolt from a hardware store might have a different head size than the factory bolt despite having identical bolt diameters.

SliderR1

Also, I have found out that a bolt from a hardware store might have a different head size than the factory bolt despite having identical bolt diameters.
I've realized through this project that there is a difference in bolt head size vs bolt size depending on if the bolt is JIS standard or ANSI/ISO. I have a lot of JIS bolts from Japanese sportbikes and the same size bolt takes a different wrench on some of them vs. the stock Cobalt stuff.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Re manufactured when they rebuild calipers the use the bolts they have in their bin. The head is the only difference the bolt diameter has to be the same. I have seen one with torx head and one hex head bolt.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
So just out of curiosity I pulled the 12mm bolts out and threaded the 14mm right in... I pulled both 12mm bolts out and they are both different. you can see in the attached photo the 14mm bolt is the far right one. the 2 on the left are from the caliper... I think I am going to just go buy some 14mm bolts so they all match. is that a good Idea? from what I can tell from the boxes there is 2 for the left side and 2 for the right side.
Just a FYI if you go ask for 14 mm bolts they will never fit the hole. Bolts are measured by the thread size not the head size. I think those are 8mm bolts.

Reactions: Dre

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Personally, and I need to heed my advice here too, but I would replace them so everything is the same size. You don't realize how far of a trip to the toolbox it actually is if you forget and have to go get another sized wrench. Even if the toolbox is within arm's length, it still feels a mile away.

Reactions: Dre

redline

I am glad I found this, I am buying brakes on the way home today. I thought the calipers were different number though?

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
The kits use four sets of front calipers from a base cobalt. They are all identical with the exception of driver/passenger sides. I think for the SS/TC's only, the rear caliper brackets are machined because there is a tab that sticks out which will interfere with the knuckle.