Jeff's Extended Track - 07 SS/SC Donor - Chassis #91

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
Stealing a page from ncgoblin, I rigged up the boat crank to pull the radiator hoses by myself...
IMG_0979.jpg

First hose went super smooth... took me about 5 minutes. Second hose, not so much... my dinky rope I used broke about 3/4 of the way thru and I had to start over. Two things I would've done different if I had to do it over again would be having DF powder coat the frame and pull the hoses thru the frame. Not because it was difficult, but because I spent more on parts to get it the job done than just having them do it. I had to buy the crank, lube, rope, etc... I think they only charge $40 and I have over $50 invested plus my time. Oh well... it is done now, with a victory dance at the end:

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
If the powder coating costs less through DF then its wise to have them pull the hoses for $100. Even when it goes smooth its 1-2 hours of labor worse case 3-4. Thanks for the credit but Lonny gave me the idea after I was trying to do it by hand I had the thicker inner wall hose there are 2 kinds one will not mold as easy when pulled.

Color looks great very similar to my valve cover.

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
If the powder coating costs less through DF then its wise to have them pull the hoses for $100. Even when it goes smooth its 1-2 hours of labor worse case 3-4. Thanks for the credit but Lonny gave me the idea after I was trying to do it by hand I had the thicker inner wall hose there are 2 kinds one will not mold as easy when pulled.

Color looks great very similar to my valve cover.
I paid $1,200 to powder coat the frame Illusion Red. This included the fuel tank and the sub frame. Performance Powder Coating in Russia, Ohio were very professional and I highly recommend them for builders in the area. Some powder coaters in the Columbus, Ohio area wanted over $2,000!

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
Build Update: I'm in the middle of video 18 now. Getting ready to put in the unwrapped wiring harness in and move onto video 19.

I still have to put my engine back together. New items added were the following:
  • Valve Seals
  • Valve Spring and caps
  • Lash Adjusters (lifters)
  • Water Pump
  • Timing Kit
  • Timing Cover (old one looked sketchy with some JB Weld on it)
  • Balance Shaft Kit
  • Gasket Kit for the above
  • PCV Valve
  • LSJ Phenolic Intake Spacer
  • ZZP Shorty Header
Still need to purchase:
  • Stage 2 w/ 2.9 Pulley on the SC
  • LSJ M62 Spacer Plate
  • Port the SC for LS4 TB
  • LS4 Throttle Body
Any other suggestions on the engine?

Had to take a break from the build tonight to put new rear calipers, rotors and pads on my daughter's car. Calipers were about seized up on this 2008 Mitsu Lancer GTS Its a beast... not really.

Last edited:

Vwsaabvt

Goblin Guru
I'm in Lima Ohio and plan on ordering my frame as soon as I get one of my cars sold. Any chance I could check out your build in person sometime?

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
I'm in Lima Ohio and plan on ordering my frame as soon as I get one of my cars sold. Any chance I could check out your build in person sometime?
Sure, just PM me and we can setup the details. I haven't had much progress on the build since last post. I was waiting on my balance shaft kit to come in. Timing Kit, Balance Kit, water pump and new timing cover are all on. I'm gathering things to start painting the engine now.

Vwsaabvt

Goblin Guru
Sure, just PM me and we can setup the details. I haven't had much progress on the build since last post. I was waiting on my balance shaft kit to come in. Timing Kit, Balance Kit, water pump and new timing cover are all on. I'm gathering things to start painting the engine now.
Cool, thanks. We have a ton going on into spring, but I definitely will get ahold of you. I'll be doing the timing on mine also since it was at 140k and its super easy while out of the car. Lots of cleaning in my future.

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
Made a little progress on the build. Got the tank installed. btw, a plastic Folgers lid fits perfectly where the fuel pump goes so contaminates can't get in:
IMG_1128.JPG
Stripped the engine with a drill and wire brush. Cleaned the heck out of it:
IMG_1157.JPG
Taped it up:
IMG_1160.JPG IMG_1162.JPG
Primer'd it with Dupli-Color Caliper Paint:
IMG_1180.JPG IMG_1183.JPG
And finally painted it with Dupli-Color Caliper Paint Matte Black:
IMG_1186.JPG IMG_1189.JPG IMG_1190.JPG Here is before pic: IMG_0656.JPG

Now the task of putting the all parts back on. I still need to order a Stage 3 kit from OTTP or ZZP. Need the smaller pulley and bigger injectors!

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
A drill and wire brush is the only way to go if you don't have access to a sand blaster, I'm in the same boat. Looking good and hope everything goes back together smoothly. :)

Vwsaabvt

Goblin Guru
Build Update: I'm in the middle of video 18 now. Getting ready to put in the unwrapped wiring harness in and move onto video 19.

View attachment 7530

I still have to put my engine back together. New items added were the following:
  • Valve Seals
  • Valve Spring and caps
  • Lash Adjusters (lifters)
  • Water Pump
  • Timing Kit
  • Timing Cover (old one looked sketchy with some JB Weld on it)
  • Balance Shaft Kit
  • Gasket Kit for the above
  • PCV Valve
  • LSJ Phenolic Intake Spacer
  • ZZP Shorty Header
Still need to purchase:
  • Stage 2 w/ 2.9 Pulley on the SC
  • LSJ M62 Spacer Plate
  • Port the SC for LS4 TB
  • LS4 Throttle Body
Any other suggestions on the engine?

Had to take a break from the build tonight to put new rear calipers, rotors and pads on my daughter's car. Calipers were about seized up on this 2008 Mitsu Lancer GTS Its a beast... not really.
Did you end up finding a pcv valve? I'm trying to find them and they're NLA. I'm pretty sure the one in my intake manifold is bad, but information on them is all over the place.