Jim McDonald // Extended Track // '09 HHR SS/TC Automatic

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
It looks like the wiring harness for the HHR is very similar to a cobalt harness. I think there is a good chance it could be reworked the same way we rework our harnesses. It looks like the pedal switches are the same as the late model cobalt switches. so you could use cobalt pedal with an HHR harness. The accelerator pedal connector may need to be changed to a cobalt connector. Googling around it looks like the BCM, TCM, EPS, turnsignal switch, ignition switch and ECM all look the same as a cobalt.
I had planned on just doing a bunch of welding and using everything HHR but this message makes me second guess that. I was hoping to not buy a cobalt. We found a 2006 at the pick apart and thought we would pull incidentals from it.

I need to learn how to use alldata and take a look, but I'm pretty sure that many of the parts will be turbo specific, what do you think? That would mean I need to find a cobalt ss, not something I want to do. Will an 06 2.2l shifter work on an 09 ss/tc? Lots of questions like this.

I can't decide if we want the build to be as much cobalt as possible, or let it morph more toward HHR.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
First question answered. The engine cradle fits.
20191001_081719.jpg

The donor tear down has been going slower than I had hoped but we just have 2 heater hoses and motor mounts holding the engine in.

In between finding people to help do the things I can't, I've been spending time cleaning parts and prepping for the build

20191002_194518.jpg

Here is a comparison of clean and not.

I've started rebuilding the LCA's. Pics to follow. Found the correct replacement ball joints at Autozone. The HHR SS has FE3 suspension and the king pin is the correct size in the replacement part. Ordered moog solid rear bushings and will machine my own delrin front bushings when the plastic gets here.

Last edited:

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
I wish I had spent more time cleaning up parts. That knuckle looks really good.

your car is built and looks awesome. I think that's one of the beauties of the Goblin, its so open and easy to work on. You can easily go back and clean things up later. That knuckle took 3 minutes with the bead blaster. ultra fine glass. Think I will hit them with some 2K clear to keep the look.

Christopher Sanchez

First question answered. The engine cradle fits. View attachment 10226

The donor tear down has been going slower than I had hoped but we just have 2 heater hoses and motor mounts holding the engine in.

In between finding people to help do the things I can't, I've been spending time cleaning parts and prepping for the build

View attachment 10227
Here is a comparison of clean and not.

I've started rebuilding the LCA's. Pics to follow. Found the correct replacement ball joints at Autozone. The HHR SS has FE3 suspension and the king pin is the correct size in the replacement part. Ordered moog solid rear bushings and will machine my own delrin front bushings when the plastic gets here.
The cradle fits!! you have nothing to worry about!! I was worried cause in a previous pic it looked a bit longer. But now you know you can use all of the HHR's Front/ goblins rear suspension hubs and knuckles! aside from differences on speedometer cluster mounting, and shifter. (easy fixes) I wonder about the brake booster assembly??? I do not know anything about hand controls but would these have to be customized any way? I'm stoked to hear the good news and see the progress.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
The Doyle's sure make donor tear down look easier than it is, though it probably has something to do with the fact that the HHR is a totally different car than the Cobalt.
A friend asked me years ago if I'd considered cutting off my legs, I said "sure, 100's of times, but sure as I do, they will figure out spinal cord injury and that's gonna piss me off". He said "good point, better keep the legs". However, today....... I was ready to do it.
20191012_130633.jpg

There are very few similarities between the HHR dash and that of the Cobalt.

Looks like the shifter will work.
20191012_145421.jpg
20191012_145051.jpg

I was concerned with how the 180 in the shift cable would work, but remembered we'll be pulling out a 180 at the transmission.

20191014_093908.jpg

HHR pedal box is completely different. Lonny believes there a chance that the accelerator sensor/pedal f om the Cobalt will speak the same language as that of the HHR. Another reason to buy a DF Kit Car. Hopefully have the wiring all out by weekend and off to DF.

Last edited:

Ross

Goblin Guru
I was concerned with how the 180 in the shift cable would work, but remembered we'll be pulling out a 180 at the transmission.
If you get a chance to take a few pics of the HHR transmission 180's, I would appreciate it. I would like to see/engineer more shifter options.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Jim, looking good. Keep plugging away at it, you will get there. The carcass will be on its way to the boneyard before you know it. Keep the faith, the weather is getting cooler!

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
Well Boys, I think I've found the LNF/Auto trans 1" offset, and I need some help figuring out where the problem is and how to fix it.
20191015_164740.jpg

The solid motor mounts and trans mount are all bolted up but motor is in a serious twist. We haven't put the trans mount spacer in because they will put the solid mounts in a bind.
20191015_192910.jpg

Can someone confirm, the motor is rolled back at the top?
20191015_191704.jpg

Should the CV be centered under the vertical member? Or can someone give me a dimension.
20191015_212450.jpg

My thoughts are that I simply need to move the motor mount ahead 1 inch, but then it looks like it will need to be twisted a little as well.

On a side note, this is why my kids didn't eat in the car.
20191015_120053.jpg

Felt like I needed to clean myself with a Hotsy.

20191015_191915.jpg

That's all of the wire. Just need to pull the fuel tank.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
The HHR turbo automatic is the same transmission that the automatic cobalt uses, the 4T45. In your kit you should find a baggie labeled "K21D" it should have some spacer that will allow you to bolt up your transmission.

The inboard end of the CV axles may not be absolutely in line with the upright tube or the outboard end of the CV axle and that is fine.

The HHR is looking like it could be potential donor. I'm glad y'all are attempting it.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
The HHR turbo automatic is the same transmission that the automatic cobalt uses, the 4T45. In your kit you should find a baggie labeled "K21D" it should have some spacer that will allow you to bolt up your transmission.

The inboard end of the CV axles may not be absolutely in line with the upright tube or the outboard end of the CV axle and that is fine.

The HHR is looking like it could be potential donor. I'm glad y'all are attempting it.
Is this the same as K21D?
15712668708998953848961786683536.jpg

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
They go between the frame and upper trans mount. I can get some images tomorrow.