John's Turbo Track Goblin - 2008 SS donor

Jkean949

Something witty
So, this is my present? ??? (there's a backstory)

Hello builders, I'm John and I'm looking forward to a lot of work and questioning my sanity.

I know I have other photos, need to start keeping just one repository though. When buying your donor, keep in mind that color can affect the ability to resell body panels. :-[

Attachments

DanPerryy

Re: Getting started

Look at this - I can't imagine what shedding nearly 1500 pounds would do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=harjLEtEklo

Adam

Administrator
Staff member

Is that an 08, 09 or 10? [EDIT] I saw your other post that says its an 08.

How many miles does it have on it?

BTW, I bet that when you give people rides in your turbo Goblin, you won't be the only one questioning your sanity. It's going to be wild.

Adam

Administrator
Staff member

Hey John,

We just got back from picking up your frame from the powder coating shop. I really like this silver. Its hard to show the metallic look in photos but this color has a lot of sparkle to it.

We got to the powder coating shop a little early so we got to see the frame just after they had coated it with clear. The clear starts out white and becomes clear as it bakes in the over.

After the frame baked and cooled, we loaded it up and took it back to our shop.

Luckily the sun came out so that we could get some good photos.

Jkean949

Something witty
Dan, agreed the power to weight ratio will make them just incredible. Those Bimmers are impressive machines, seeing a complete Cobalt "keeping up" is great....once that weight is shed and the relocation... ;D

Adam, mine is an SS '08 donor with roughly 98k miles. The previous owner apparently mis-judged the tire performance in a muddy situation damaging the left front, but didn't seem to get to the heart.

Jkean949

Something witty
After pulling the cooling assembly off, I noticed this...well, I wanted to take this apart anyways... :-[

Attachments

Justinreed7

I like anything that goes fast
Jkean949 said:
After pulling the cooling assembly off, I noticed this...well, I wanted to take this apart anyways... :-[
Hopefully it only broke the mount and not the tabs on the transmission. Those stock mounts need to go anyways. I recommend Powell Hard Core race mounts. John powell worked with GM to build the cobalt time attack track car back in 2005.

Jkean949

Something witty
Adam, minor complaint...the system logged me out halfway through my initial reply and lost what I had written. I have now changed my account to leave me logged in. May want to have a pop-up that declares you are close to logout or something?

Justin, I'll keep them in mind for the build up. The stock mount in the '08 SS was more than just a rubber/poly mount (at least on the passenger side) it actually has a hydraulic component with an expansion chamber. That's a new one on me.

No such luck with the mount being the only damage...the tranny tab is cracked too. With where the impact was the transmission has felt suspect to me anyhow. Good excuse for upgrades though! :-X

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to hear about the forum error. I've actually had that happen to me but luckily I was able to hit the back button and recover the post. I'll see what I can do about it.

Justinreed7

You can always weld up the crack though. I bought my saturn wrecked 3 years ago and the whole front transmission tab was broke off. Since my aluminum welding skills are limited at best, i paid my buddy $50 to weld it back on

Justinreed7

I never had an issue with the weld on mine, and im launching hard off the line with hoosier slicks

Jkean949

Something witty
Finally wrapped up stripping the donor, the hull is setting on dollies and I am waiting for a return call from the scrapper. Note to future builders, sell anything you can individually as scrap metal prices are pretty bad right now. None of the salvage yards in my area will buy parts...hopefully others have better luck.

Jkean949

Something witty
The other pic I tried loading of the hull didn't load correctly I guess, so here it is again awaiting the scrapper. I have it in the garage on wheel dollies in the rear and a furniture dolly in the front.

Attachments

Jkean949

Something witty
Bye-bye! The scrapper made it on Saturday...I am glad to have my garage space to start building the Goblin.

Others will have different experiences I am sure, but I ended up just giving the hull away. He said $40/ton and once you take into consideration his fuel cost and that there wan't a full ton of material, it wasn't worth debating with him. I am sure some of the other builders will have different pre-existing relationships and will be able to get more out of their hull, but this has been my experience.

Attachments

PHerder

John,

The best of the news is, it is GONE!!! No more worries about what to do with it. I believe where I am going to be building my Goblin, all I have to do in place a free ad on Craigslist and it will disappear. ;)

In Texas, all I had to do is place it at the curb and it would disappear by the next day.