jpr's City Goblin - 07/08 LT donor

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
I stared at the earlier pic for several minutes.
Then went through your entire blog trying to figure out what kind of air scoop you had and where it was going.
Doh!!!!
It is the bike rack you spoke of.............
:rolleyes:

jpr

Did you just use two Adell clamps to attach the license plate to the lower arms?
Tires do not rub it?
Wind ever push it back?
It's actually held on with two hose clamps drilled for the plate's lower holes and for aluminum brackets that triangulate to the top holes. The tires don't come close to it and it's extremely rigid.

IMG_1482.JPG

IMG_1483.JPG

jpr

After a few friends drove it at a recent autocross practice event and complained about the slow steering, I decided to get off my butt and do some research.

Turns out... the Sport Suspension steering racks (FE3, FE5) have a quicker ratio than the Soft Suspension steering racks. 2.9 vs. 3.5 turns lock to lock. Since this is an LT donor, I ordered a used FE3/5 rack off eBay for about $160 shipped. Haven't put too many miles on it yet, and the next practice isn't for a few weeks (doing competition events in a different car this year), but subjectively it feels much quicker to turn - and the wheels no longer rub on the control arms at full lock.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Great info. I’ve been considering a 1.5 ratio quickener but I’m afraid what that might do to the already twitchy front end at freeway speeds.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
Great info. I’ve been considering a 1.5 ratio quickener but I’m afraid what that might do to the already twitchy front end at freeway speeds.
When I added a 1.5:1 to my SXS for spirited, tight wooded trails, it took all of 5 minutes to get use to the quicker steering. Then it was second nature. Know it's a completely different machine but my point is you'll get use to it and it won't be that big of a deal. You should 100% add one!

I'd love to add one to mine, I just don't want to get rid of my power steering just yet. And I'm not sure if there's enough room to fit one in with the EPS installed.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
After a few friends drove it at a recent autocross practice event and complained about the slow steering, I decided to get off my butt and do some research.

Turns out... the Sport Suspension steering racks (FE3, FE5) have a quicker ratio than the Soft Suspension steering racks. 2.9 vs. 3.5 turns lock to lock. Since this is an LT donor, I ordered a used FE3/5 rack off eBay for about $160 shipped. Haven't put too many miles on it yet, and the next practice isn't for a few weeks (doing competition events in a different car this year), but subjectively it feels much quicker to turn - and the wheels no longer rub on the control arms at full lock.
Are you sure the rack is actually faster? According to Lonny, the SS (FE5, right?) has 1" less travel overall (basically a rack limitation due to wider tire clearances?). He didn't make it out to sound like the SS rack steers any faster, just that it runs out of travel faster. If you could confirm it's actually a faster ratio, that'd be pretty cool though.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
I centered two steering racks and measured both of them.
An SS and a base model.
20210622_151532 2.jpg

I then moved them to 90 degrees and measured them.
20210622_150822 2.jpg

Base @ 0 degrees 1.080"
Base @ 90 degrees 1.550"

SS @ 0 degrees 1.070"
SS @ 90 degrees 1.540"

They both moved .470" from center up to 90 degrees

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
Lonny, can you also check the Saturn Vue ratio for those of us contemplating using this steering box also, please?
Both Cobalt and Saturn Vue power steering units are all 1:1 from input to output. When using a Saturn Vue EPS unit you will still use a Cobalt steering rack.
I do not know if a Saturn Vue steering rack is the same dimensionally as a Cobalt rack so I am not sure it would bolt into our kit.

I have used a Saturn Vue EPS unit and it is a direct bolt up but will need an aftermarket controller to make it work.

Ross

Goblin Guru

You can make your current steering rack have quicker steering by moving the steering arms in the direction of the black arrows.
If you drill a new hole in the steering arm, and one in the upright, at the locations shown, you will be able to move the steering arm ball joint over, and have quicker steering.

Last edited:

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
I am dealing with this right now as well. I really like the quick steering in the tight corners below 45mph, but at 80, it's almost to responsive and at 110, it is definitely to responsive. I used to have a death grip on the wheel because I thought it had bump steer on the freeway, but just yesterday, I figured out its all me. If you move the steering wheel at all, on the freeway at 80mph, it goes from one side of the lane to the other. At 100, it's way worse, but if you just loosely touch the wheel, it drives straight as an arrow, even in the bumps.

I'm wondering if the HHR has a lower ratio.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Cobalt rack:
View attachment 24812

Vue rack:
View attachment 24813

@Desert Sasqwatch you're welcome to pick up a Vue rack and see if it's got a different ratio. Not 100% sure it would bolt up anyway.
I bought one already and plan to modify the Goblin mounts to make it fit - as soon as I am settled into my new house. I'm ordering the controller box soon - one that has a GPS speed sensor to automatically vary the steering effort, but won't be able to test this out for a while.

jpr

Where did you get the bike rack?
Found it on Craigslist. It's the kind that has 2 lateral bars and 2 racks - of that I use only the one rack. It bolts to the Goblin frame with some shaft collars I drilled and tapped.