JS City Goblin - 2010 LS

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Thats a good update! How do you like your gearing? Is your trans the eco 3.63 ratio or the standard 3.84?
And as far as how I liked it, well I'm really not sure. I couldn't figure out where to shift, I ended up running the entire track except the straight in second. It seemed to work well, it was timed to almost exactly when the rev limiter kicked in I needed to be slowing down for the next corner. I'm sure I could have gained .5 second just switching to third more but I was too worried about hitting a wall to really get that last second out of my time.

I'm sure someone with more experience could have easily set the fastest time of the day.

Silverback

The stock 2010 base sway bar...I assume the measurements you posted refer to the diameter of the bar? Because mines 19mm. Which isn't great if I'm already running the smallest one.
Did your build sticker indicate you had the FE1 soft suspension? That would be the 19mm. On my Seven, we preloaded the anti-sway bar to adjust the wheel weights with the driver in position. Tried to keep overall left/right balanced with RF/LR and LF/RR. Sandbag the driver's seat with your weight before balancing.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Did your build sticker indicate you had the FE1 soft suspension? That would be the 19mm. On my Seven, we preloaded the anti-sway bar to adjust the wheel weights with the driver in position. Tried to keep overall left/right balanced with RF/LR and LF/RR. Sandbag the driver's seat with your weight before balancing.
Ah interesting. Yes I have FE1 suspension.

SliderR1

Lonny / Adam,

Any problem with shortening the steering column tube? Because I can't not mess with stuff, I've added an adapter and a QD to my wheel which pushes it just a little too far forward. I've studied it for a while and seems really straight forward. I'd just like to shorten the tube by 1" and redrill the three holes. But wanted to ask first in case I'm not seeing a potential problem.

View attachment 782
Justin - how did this work with the adapter and the QD coupler? Any issues? Which adapter and wheel did you use?

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Justin - how did this work with the adapter and the QD coupler? Any issues? Which adapter and wheel did you use?
DF supplies a part which adapts the Cobalt steering shaft to the 3bolt hole pattern kart steering wheel.

I then used a 3-to-6 steering wheel adapter on eBay:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Car-0-5-1-2-Hub-for-6-Hole-Steering-Wheel-to-fit-Grant-APC-3-Hole-Adapter-/292114672457?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150519202348%26meid%3D49e340a994ee480ca24836ee92f2ee95%26pid%3D100408%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D25%26sd%3D262411806118&_trksid=p2056116.c100408.m2460

All of the NRG quick releases use a standard 6 bolt pattern on both sides of the quick release. You won't need the vehicle specific adapter. I recommend the NRG quick release it has a very positive lockup and is well made.

Finally I bolted an Assault D wheel to the NRG QR just because I thought it looked really cool. It's a little small though.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/UTV-Parts-and-Accessories/Assault-Industries-D-Shape-Leather-Steering-Wheel-with-Red-Stitches-100005SW0203.aspx?t_c=95&t_s=605&t_pt=101825&t_pn=ASI100005SW0203&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping&emlprox=out&ppcfon=1&gp=1&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&scid=scplpASI100005SW0203&sc_intid=ASI100005SW0203&gclid=CNOcu-XaytQCFQcaaQod2ywDfg

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Just used that same adapter plate this weekend to put my new NRG wheel on. Works great!

Please note that the adapter only every other hole will line up with the wheels 6 bolts. So make sure you mark the holes that all line up before installing on the steering shaft.

Nuker-

taz_va

DF supplies a part which adapts the Cobalt steering shaft to the 3bolt hole pattern kart steering wheel.

I then used a 3-to-6 steering wheel adapter on eBay:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Car-0-5-1-2-Hub-for-6-Hole-Steering-Wheel-to-fit-Grant-APC-3-Hole-Adapter-/292114672457?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150519202348%26meid%3D49e340a994ee480ca24836ee92f2ee95%26pid%3D100408%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D25%26sd%3D262411806118&_trksid=p2056116.c100408.m2460

All of the NRG quick releases use a standard 6 bolt pattern on both sides of the quick release. You won't need the vehicle specific adapter. I recommend the NRG quick release it has a very positive lockup and is well made.

Finally I bolted an Assault D wheel to the NRG QR just because I thought it looked really cool. It's a little small though.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/UTV-Parts-and-Accessories/Assault-Industries-D-Shape-Leather-Steering-Wheel-with-Red-Stitches-100005SW0203.aspx?t_c=95&t_s=605&t_pt=101825&t_pn=ASI100005SW0203&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping&emlprox=out&ppcfon=1&gp=1&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&scid=scplpASI100005SW0203&sc_intid=ASI100005SW0203&gclid=CNOcu-XaytQCFQcaaQod2ywDfg
Which NRG adapater did you use? They make several, including a 'thin' (very short) one. I noticed earlier in your log you mentioned shortening the tubing to accomodate the adapter, did you do that?

JSATX

Goblin Guru

taz_va

I was thinking about that myself. I'm hoping to sit in one of these by visiting the Goblin's den down in Texas soon, it'll help give me a feel for the controls. I was pondering coming up with an adjustable steering column--such as allowing it to drop down and lock into place X" below its normal spot, to provide different positions for the wheel. This is all armchair thinking since I can only go by internet pics for now.

Andy

JS what was the offset on your rims? i was looking at the hypergrams in a 17x8 for the rear and they have a 45mm offset i looked up the advanti rims and they appear to come in 2 offset i was trying to determine if the hypergrams will fit. It looked like your advanti just fit. I wanted to avoid any spacers.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
JS what was the offset on your rims? i was looking at the hypergrams in a 17x8 for the rear and they have a 45mm offset i looked up the advanti rims and they appear to come in 2 offset i was trying to determine if the hypergrams will fit. It looked like your advanti just fit. I wanted to avoid any spacers.
Mine fit great. Fenders will be a problem but I like my wheel size a lot. It was 17x8x45 and 15x7x35

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Been thinking a lot about boost lately. Haven't done much because I ran into a lot of turbo fitment problems. But I think I have a good idea how to route stuff now. I will be patterning my setup based on this atom:
IMG_7973.JPG

Sure it's not the ideal setup with all that exhaust heat there. But since everything is so open it should be fine. I monitor IAT° anyway if they are a problem I'll add heat sheilding and some ducts from the side which should further reduce temps.

I found an intercooler that fits nicely between the rear bars. I plan to flip the ZZP manifold upside down and mount the turbo directly to it. Should hold it above the intercooler and provide a fairly direct shot into the top right Intercooler intake. Now to start mocking up the pipe....
IMG_8052.JPG

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Hey Justin, Can you send me your alignment numbers. Local shops being a PITA.

Thanks!
Nuker-
IMG_8053.JPG

I don't know if this will help or not.

What's the problem? You want 0" total toe or a tiny bit of toe in...and 0 to -3° camber. Or did Adam say -5° honestly I can't remember.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Over 60 it gets squirmy trying to see what the problem is. I'm sure it's alignment.

Nuker
Most likely. Made such a huge difference for me. Also wheel balance plays a big part in such a light car. Thankfully very little weight was required to get mine perfectly in balance, make sure they use a road force balancer too.