JS City Goblin - 2010 LS

JSATX

Goblin Guru
I decided I didn’t like the stock plastic intake. It’s only supposed to be good for 10psi and my little Saab turbo is already exceeding that.

Big thanks to Brad for the Saab intake manifold. The base 2.2 throttle body fits absolutely perfectly. Clearly the same one as used in the 9-3.
3DF4CA4D-071D-48DF-BBA1-3BF02F35FB77.jpeg

Unfortunately the 4bar MAP does not fit the intake manifold. The screw does not line up and the hole in the intake is too big.

So, I JB welded the bolt into the threaded hole, I will cut it flush and drill/tap a new one for the MAP.

I then turned a very simple reducer that can be press fit into the hole to correctly size it for the Buick Regal 4bar MAP. It works great!

F35D1302-8BEE-4B0C-9C34-F4AC2A081D10.jpeg

JSATX

Goblin Guru
SUCCESS!!!

Finally after almost three weeks of daily tuning I have a running car. I was really starting to give up, the tune just wasn’t working well. And then today ZZP sent me another which is so much better.

This thing absolutely rips. I need to race Lonny’s turbo car now!

Hptuners registered 312ft/lbs torque today.

3BDE94FA-2EFE-4935-85D4-B291075473D3.jpeg

If anyone wants some Advanti wheels with Potenza tires lemme know because I’m getting bigger ones!

Last edited:

JSATX

Goblin Guru
How much bigger are you planning to go?
I dunno. I really like the looks of mine currently...I also don’t want to run spacers. So I imagine I’ll probably get cheap 15x10 wheels for track use.

But then that’s more stress on trans and clutch and everything else. So maybe not!

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
SUCCESS!!!

Finally after almost three weeks of daily tuning I have a running car. I was really starting to give up, the tune just wasn’t working well. And then today ZZP sent me another which is so much better.

This thing absolutely rips. I need to race Lonny’s turbo car now!

Hptuners registered 312ft/lbs torque today.

View attachment 2722

If anyone wants some Advanti wheels with Potenza tires lemme know because I’m getting bigger ones!
That is good news! Lots of torque Where do you think the the HP at?

JSATX

Goblin Guru
While working on wing mounts and positioning I decided the wing looked silly without a finished nose.

Don’t get me wrong, I actually really like the shape of the Goblin nose, I just never understood why the sides hang over so far. I want something that tightly hugs the frame. I wanted the jet fighter look, half F/117 half F-16.

So a friend told me about how they used to make custom fiberglass items without needing a mold. It basically consists of making a wooden buck or frame and stretching polyester fleece over it until you get the contour you want.

So that’s what I did. Basically I made a curve that I liked for the dash, and then made a nosecone. I could staple and stretch the fleece from the dash to the nosecone and the tension of the fleece would make the shape.

C15BEB14-7B80-4963-A6BA-F1C648C270A9.jpeg

I wanted the nosecone to look like a coffin to fit the Goblin theme haha. But it didn’t quite line up with the sides so I’ll have to redo it.

The fleece soaks up epoxy well, it’s the equivalent of 2 or three fiberglassglass layers.

B55075C4-5822-40A7-9B1C-FA40BC8035E6.jpeg

Additional Fiberglass is then epoxied over that for more strength.

6B1D9C59-1B97-4E71-B9A5-3FAF4ED51006.jpeg

And then chopstrand body filler is used to smooth everything out. Here it is applied but no sanding has been done.

E21063CD-25EF-4AE3-B377-83E260C7A875.jpeg

It honestly looks so much better in person. The pictures can’t quite capture the contours that will eventually blend into a windscreen. The tip of the nosecone is getting cut back some. There’s also a lower section not pictured which wraps around the bottom of the radiator. I kind of wish I had the new style with the bolt on radiator mount, would give you a ton more options for attaching a wing etc. Maybe I should run into a curb...lol!

I’ll probably run it just like this for awhile. And then I’ll eventually want to add ducts and a hood vent for the radiator. So I’ll then be able to foam in whatever additional shapes I want and make this nosecone into a mold for nosecone 2.0

Last edited:

RichRich

I used to do this with car audio when I was doing audio car shows years ago, I applied a layer of fiberglass mat over the flees or multiple depending on the strength needed. But sometimes subs will beat the hell out of a box if it isn't reinforced,

Looking awesome!! Are you thinking about painting it or wrapping? Might have a little sanding in your future if you're painting.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
I used to do this with car audio when I was doing audio car shows years ago, I applied a layer of fiberglass mat over the flees or multiple depending on the strength needed. But sometimes subs will beat the hell out of a box if it isn't reinforced,

Looking awesome!! Are you thinking about painting it or wrapping? Might have a little sanding in your future if you're painting.
I am definitely wrapping. First it’ll be pearl white with red racing stripes. But that’s just because I already have the material. Will eventually go matte black to better keep with the theme

RichRich

Would look bad ass matte black, if done right could maybe have some faint ghost skulls or something. I have no artistic ability but my google searches do haha

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Would look bad ass matte black, if done right could maybe have some faint ghost skulls or something. I have no artistic ability but my google searches do haha
The wrapper Adam uses is really good. He does full graphic prints like that. And compared to painting it’s cheap.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Got the wing and wing supports made up and mounted. It looks goofy from the underside but awesome from every other angle. Bad picture, just showing the way mine mounts. It’s rock solid, this is at 1° AoA
0C00CFD2-8E01-4053-B051-D7DB4CACF94E.jpeg

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Also spent a little time working on a miscellaneous issue. Cylinder #4 is missfiring at idle. You can clearly hear it and the HPtuners confirmed. In about 3 minutes of idling I had 20 misfires on #4.

So first thing I did was swap coil packs between #3 and #4. No change.

Next I pulled the plug. It looks perfectly fine, they were changed when my engine was installed so less than 1000 miles. I didn’t check gap but it looked just the same as the other plugs. Reinstalled and it was still happening.

So then I noticed something I kind of forgot about. My fuel pressure was going nuts. It almost seemd to be happening in sync. Whenever I heard a misfire the gauge jumped around. The pops in the video are all misfires. As soon as it pops HPT registers a misfire.

I don’t know what else to do besides change out the fuel pump. They are kinda expensive just for a random guess... But what else could it be?

I want to get this fixed before I continue fine tuning the ecm.

RichRich

What about a faulty injector. I would lean more that way than the fuel pump given it is only doing it on 1 cylinder. I would of thought the coil pack as well but I think swapping them ruled that out.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
What about a faulty injector. I would lean more that way than the fuel pump given it is only doing it on 1 cylinder. I would of thought the coil pack as well but I think swapping them ruled that out.
Injectors are brand new. I’ll swap those next thanks.