JS City Goblin - 2010 LS

Balphamore

Just catching up on posts. Curious what the clearance between you lower nose cone, and tires when fully turned is? Because I see that as the perfect hard mount for say two small wings. Think biplane as a way to get down force on the front end. Best idea I thought of was the slingshot front end. Do you think that would work?

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Just catching up on posts. Curious what the clearance between you lower nose cone, and tires when fully turned is? Because I see that as the perfect hard mount for say two small wings. Think biplane as a way to get down force on the front end. Best idea I thought of was the slingshot front end. Do you think that would work?

I’ll try and get some measurements. The slingshot does have a nice front end but I really don’t think their winglets have much aerodynamic benefits at all. Trying to stick with a more typical JAriel atom style front wing. There’s a company that is producing really nice aluminum wings that are cheap. They said they will be making some with top mounting fins for swan necks and that could be adapted to front mount but they don’t have any yet.

In other news my buddy and I just completed a weekend drive all the way across the country to get some new tools. I’ve wanted to learn how to tig weld for years and years and finally decided to go for it. We found a brand new Miller 250DX complete package in Chicago for super cheap. Also got a huge air compressor while we were at it.

2 days and 2,300 miles!
2CF43C12-AFA2-4D35-80F3-DD5973BD0181.jpeg

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
In other news my buddy and I just completed a weekend drive all the way across the country to get some new tools. I’ve wanted to learn how to tig weld for years and years and finally decided to go for it. We found a brand new Miller 250DX complete package in Chicago for super cheap. Also got a huge air compressor while we were at it.

2 days and 2,300 miles! View attachment 3374
That looks like a good size rotary screw compressor. I hope you plan to use alot of air.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
I’ve been trying to spec out one piece brake lines for several months now and finally just received a set.

My calipers have this molded area that won’t allow this larger mounting block to seat correctly. Does anyone know what the spec of the caliper side hose end should be?
85E8DFB7-21B4-41CB-B2C4-BC1B5F1C0FA8.jpeg

Edit: the hose fits if rotated 90°.

I had a really difficult time getting someone to make them for a reasonable price. So when I finally did I ordered 4 because I thought someone on here would want a set.

It was $60 for the pair. If anyone wants the other pair let me know.

Last edited:

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I ended up trimming just a bit off of the tab on the caliper to get it to seat well. I don't have any photos of it. Used a right angle die grinder and did some precision surgery.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Dyno Day!! Thanks to @syntroniks for inviting me to his playground/office. We put 5 runs on the car. Originally planned to try it at different boost levels to see what the power differences were but I didn't end up getting a boost control installed in time so left it at direct wastegate pressure of ~9psi. Even so it put down about 220hp and 227tq. I've had it as high as 18psi of boost but the stock internals just seem a lot happier at low boost. I think I'm going to have to run a small muffler or glasspack, it was loud!

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Has anyone else noticed their Goblin hates running in 5th gear? I don’t really know how to explain it other than it feels like its shaking a lot and lugging down the engine. No problems at all 1-4, which is a little strange because I think technically 4th gear is an overdrive. It’s ok over 85 because then you get in a better rpm but anything right around 60-70 just feels weird.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I don't ever remember using 5th gear when I was driving my donor around. There were several times where I was cruising around 50 MPH and still in 3rd and not even realizing I should probably shift to 4th.

I would imagine that you are probably on the verge of lugging the engine in 5th @ 60 MPH.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
I don't ever remember using 5th gear when I was driving my donor around. There were several times where I was cruising around 50 MPH and still in 3rd and not even realizing I should probably shift to 4th.

I would imagine that you are probably on the verge of lugging the engine in 5th @ 60 MPH.
Yeah but the problem is 4th is too high. I don’t freeway cruising sitting at 3200rpm

KJP

Yeah but the problem is 4th is too high. I don’t freeway cruising sitting at 3200rpm
It looks like 5th is about the same in the F23 and F35 but 4th is a bit more agressive in the F23 which would make it less comfortable cruising at highway speeds with the base model trans due to it being at higher rpms.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
As described it sounds like its lugging, but it really shouldn't be.
I used to have an Audi TT, about the same gearing, except a 6th gear. 2100 RPM at 60 without lugging.
How's the AFR at freeway speed and in 5th? Possible that its lean or rich, giving the sensation of lugging?

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
No problems in 5th gear on mine, Drove to Dallas and back in 1 day 1000 miles. I don't notice any weird shakes or bogging down.

Nuker-

JSATX

Goblin Guru
As described it sounds like its lugging, but it really shouldn't be.
I used to have an Audi TT, about the same gearing, except a 6th gear. 2100 RPM at 60 without lugging.
How's the AFR at freeway speed and in 5th? Possible that its lean or rich, giving the sensation of lugging?
Nah AFR is right where it should be for cruising.

No problems in 5th gear on mine, Drove to Dallas and back in 1 day 1000 miles. I don't notice any weird shakes or bogging down.

Nuker-
I think I have that XFE economy transmission which may put my rpm a little lower than an SS car.

It’s really not a big deal it just seems there’s a weird gap right at 70 where I’d like to be. 4th is too high and 5th is too low.

I guess that just means go faster right??

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
There are two things about your build that can make it more prone to lugging in 5th than the other builds.
  1. If I recall correctly, you are running 235/45/17 on the rear. This is taller than the stock tire so it will result in a lower RPM at cruising speeds.
  2. Your donor was an XFE so it has a 3.63 final drive instead of the standard 3.84.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
There are two things about your build that can make it more prone to lugging in 5th than the other builds.
  1. If I recall correctly, you are running 235/45/17 on the rear. This is taller than the stock tire so it will result in a lower RPM at cruising speeds.
  2. Your donor was an XFE so it has a 3.63 final drive instead of the standard 3.84.
Ah yeah. I remembered the XFE but didn’t think about the taller tires. Makes sense

I’ll print that on a little card and hand it to the officer when I get pulled over for doing 90 in a 70

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Great! Something else for me to consider since I have the same size tires and the identical donor.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
This got me thinking about ours. We have the 4.05 final drive with 235/40/17, just slightly smaller tires. We probably will need the 5th gear for sure.