(SOLD)Karter2026's City Chassis 09 LT XFE, PA Build #72- Registered

ccannx

Goblin Guru

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
I picked up one of these pipes because I was concerned the belts may rub , having a hard time fitting it to the lower tube that comes out the frame. It looks like maybe you cut a slit in it. Any tips on squeezing that thing in there ?
I had the same issue, used the swedging machine at work and squeezed it down slightly then rolled the ends.
20190625_175410.jpg

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I picked up one of these pipes because I was concerned the belts may rub , having a hard time fitting it to the lower tube that comes out the frame. It looks like maybe you cut a slit in it. Any tips on squeezing that thing in there ?
There is about a 1/4' slit. I worked for about an hour to get it in as far as I felt good with. I am going to have to re address this same thing when I put the supercharger on.

ccannx

Goblin Guru
I had everything buttoned up with the original hoses and then the engine wouldn’t line up with the subframe and mounts. I had to readjust that’s when things got hosed up...

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
It has been a while since I made a update. It has been a crazy time since September hit. I have my girlfriend battling Multiple Meyloma so that is #1 on the list of time takers. She wanted new flooring in the town house so she gets what she wants now! That has taken some time. I haven't got a lot done on the car with everything going on until this semi confinement **** hit. She is in the hospital now getting a stem cell transplant. and has a weak immune system so I don't want to drag anything in there for her to catch.

I gathered almost everything to install the supercharger. (some not pictured) The intake and I/C pump are ready to go on sitting in the front of the car in storage. I have been slow on tearing it apart I am debating on bringing the car home early and putting it in the garage here to work on. While I take care of her after she gets out of the hospital. I do still have to fabricate a idler pulley bracket so I do not have to run the gutted AC compressor, and figure out a belt length. But I figure it will not take me long to get it installed then get it tuned. And go relive some stress on a drive.
IMG_20200315_105712.jpg

I have to take the throttle body to work and clean it out has some carbon build up on the butterfly then get some paint on it.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Made some progress during the lock down. I printed a new ambient light sensor / garage door opener button bracket. Also printed a boost / afr gauge pod (thanks for sharing your file @ctuinstra)
IMG_20200329_163553.jpg

Also got the updated heat exchanger with the naca ducts mounted. It is not easy with a completed car it took some force. Got the tubes ran through the tunnel. I am so glad I cut the tunnel cap in 3 pieces. It made the install much easier.

IMG_20200329_163640.jpg

Next is cutting the ducts in the hood. I'm a little nervous about that. I really do not want to have to re paint the hood. I have to modify my front bumper brackets to clear the ducts.

Best thing for today is I'm pretty sure I get to bring my girl home from the hospital.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Nice to hear about yours coming home, Karter. That's great!

The idea of cutting holes in my hood gives me the willies, so I won't be doing that. Haha!

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I used metal jig saw blades to trim the fiberglass and one blade was only good for 3-4 inches. I would have never guessed the fiberglass would destroy blades like that.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I went at cutting the openings for the heat exchanger NACA ducts. I have decided that I will most likely paint these to match the hood. I still have some more finish work to do around the scoops before paint
IMG_20200331_154055.jpg

I went for the inside mount just for the cleaner look when all done.
IMG_20200401_064417.jpg
IMG_20200401_160643.jpg

I had to modify my front bumper mount brackets to clear the hose.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Man, I bet that took at least three bottles of some liquid courage before you started hacking into your beautifully finished hood. Are you going to trim out the opening or are you going to paint the cut edges?

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Man, I bet that took at least three bottles of some liquid courage before you started hacking into your beautifully finished hood. Are you going to trim out the opening or are you going to paint the cut edges?
I am debating if i will clean it up some and paint around the cut edges black. Or paint everything blue to match.
I am still not to happy with my cut outs. I feel like the template had me about a 1/2" farther forward than I would like or think they should be.

Ron, I keep forgetting to ask you ... did you do your own paint work?
I did most of it. My brother is also a body man who is retired so out of boredom he helped me with some of it.
I have painted for years, I have slowly gotten away from doing any one elses cars. Mostly because of the costs people just do not realize the cost of all the steps, Primer, Sealer, Base coat, Activator for base, Clearcoat, Hardener, and reducer. Plus tape and paper and gun cleaning material.

Including the chassis paint (single stage) and the base coat / clear for the body i have over $1000 in paint and materials. But oh the shine was worth it.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Making some progress with the supercharger install. As I go I will try to make a part list for anyone who is planning on doing this in the future.
IMG_20200428_160326.jpg

I Installed the I/C pump and did not like the hose routing under the car. With both hoses running under the sub frame I felt it was hanging down too much. It was too late to cut the pex off and crimp a 90 on it. I had enough room to cut it off and got a sharkbite 90 in place. This worked great I used clear tube for the hot side so I will be able to see air in the system.
IMG_20200430_081842.jpg

I will run a pink coolant in the I/C since the car has a yellow-green color coolant in the engine . If I get a leak I can identify what system quickly.

Next came the intake manifold. It would not line up for me. I found that the head had some casting that was hitting on the manifold. I had to grind some off the ear on the manifold to gain clearance.
IMG_20200429_102547.jpg

Since the 2.2 LAP used 6mm bolts and the 2.0 LSJ used 8mm bolts. I ordered Shoulder bolts from Fastenal thanks to @Tinkles for sharing this over on the J body forums. I ordered these. 8mm X 60MM Qty of 2 and 8mm X 10mm Qty of 5 to attach the manifold.

Next was the supercharger. and figuring out some cooling system hose routing. And what to do for a idler pulley for the belt and belt length.
IMG_20200429_130813.jpg

IMG_20200429_133358.jpg

IMG_20200429_133409.jpg

The rubber coolant hose will get replaced with a stainless tube once I get the tubes and get them welded up.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Just as my luck usually runs. I used the Air Lift Coolant filler to vacuum the I/C system down It held for about 10 minutes. Time to fill the system it pulled just about a gallon of coolant in. I figured I would start the pump and let it run to make sure the air was all out. Well that came to a short end as the pump ran for about 30 seconds and just slowed to a stop. :mad:... Now I get to use the Air Lift to Vacuum the coolant out of the system now.

The pump was used and looked pretty new. I did test it when I got it. I ran it for about 15 minutes in a bucket. It was all fine then. I guess it had about 16 minutes of life left when I got it

Ross

Goblin Guru
Probably the brushes.
If you tap on the side of the Bosch IC pump, does it momentarily start the motor?

Indy Lonnie

I had issues with my intercooler pump. Turned out that the connection at the fuse box was bad. I had to unpin it and spread the connection back out. Somehow it got compressed.