(SOLD)Karter2026's City Chassis 09 LT XFE, PA Build #72- Registered

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I also added some extra floor supports in the foot well area. Where I figure I will be putting most of my weight getting in and out of the car.
20180627_163753.jpg
20180627_164256.jpg

I am hoping to get some paint on this in the next week or so.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Good idea welding nuts in. I couldn't get the 4 mm screws as tight as I would have liked and I ended up stripping a few out. Back to rivets for me.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Good idea welding nuts in. I couldn't get the 4 mm screws as tight as I would have liked and I ended up stripping a few out. Back to rivets for me.
I looked at the tunnel and thought about tapping it like a few others did but that was my fear of not being able to tighten them up without stripping them out. I found 4mm flange nuts that gave a good place to tack to without getting the threads too hot.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I finished up all the extra welding today. Drilled some holes to mount the 3rd brake light I have to the cross bar for the rear struts.
20180708_113345.jpg
I started to clean up for painting and made some adjustments to the home made rotisserie. I can not get a full 360 out of it but it still beats laying on your back spraying paint up in the air.
20180708_131258.jpg
20180708_131326.jpg

Reactions: Dre

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
The last two days were paint days. Day one....... Sanding wiping with wax and grease remover, Then etch primer.
20180716_155009.jpg
20180716_155017.jpg

It was about 90 degrees in the shop with 90% humidity. I lost about 8 lbs in 6 hours.
This morning I put the sealer on then the color.
20180717_085648.jpg
20180717_103101.jpg
20180717_103109.jpg

The color looks dark in the shop as soon as the sun hits it brightens up. Now it is assembly time:D

SliderR1

Looks great! and like a TON of work completed. Congrats on your achievement. Will the etch primer help with chip prevention?

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Nice! My powder coat has scratches and dings from moments of carelessness with no real way to fix it.
I understand that. The repair-ability was one reason I sprayed it.

Looks great! and like a TON of work completed. Congrats on your achievement. Will the etch primer help with chip prevention?
It should help. I sprayed this just like a body shop would paint a hood or bumper. It will never prevent them all. I had 2 dirt track gokarts we ran every weekend . That I painted the same way and after 3 years they had their share of chips but still looked good. Note not all the chips where from the dirt. We had some rough drivers in my daughters class. If you understand what I mean.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I finally feel like the pile of parts are shrinking. We got the hoses pulled this week. That was a challenge we did it with out tire wet. I have more painting to do and silicone and paint do not mix well. We used Dawn dish soap and water.
20180808_171648.jpg
IMG_20180809_094301_068.jpg

Today I put the engine, fuel tank, and wire harness in and did a few other small things. I also had two guys stop by the shop today. They are thinking about building a Goblin for each of them. We swapped some stories and ideas. I have a feeling they will be starting a build log soon.
20180811_112520.jpg
20180811_124601.jpg
20180811_124615.jpg
20180811_124623.jpg

I have a busy week coming up so progress will be slow. But I hope to have it fired up and on the wheels in a few weeks. The excitement is building.

terryjr

I like that blue. Fellow Pittsburgher. Are you planning to get make it street legal? I just went through my enhanced inspection so feel free to ask any questions. I'm hoping when you bought that cobalt donor, that you had the title transfered into your name.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I like that blue. Fellow Pittsburgher. Are you planning to get make it street legal? I just went through my enhanced inspection so feel free to ask any questions. I'm hoping when you bought that cobalt donor, that you had the title transfered into your name.
Thanks, I was hoping to do the enhanced this fall but I have decided to take my time and do it in the spring. Yep title was in my name but had to surrender it to scrap yard. I do have copies of everything.

terryjr

Thanks, I was hoping to do the enhanced this fall but I have decided to take my time and do it in the spring. Yep title was in my name but had to surrender it to scrap yard. I do have copies of everything.
I held onto my title like my own child. A craiglister came and got my old shell without the title. Then at Notary, all they did is make a copy and gave me back the original anyway so you'll probably be ok.

Have you called around to stations yet? I must have called everyone in a 30 mile radius and none of them made me very confident. Gregs station was up in Portersville or something and I was hoping not to go that far. I ended up at Schnieders Trucks in McKees Rocks. The guy on the phone was real lax, i text him photos and he said looks good no problem. But then when i showed up its like I never talked to him before and he sucked the confidence right back out of me. After showing him pictures of other cars in PA that passed, including the Shopping Cart, he said, Ok lets try it. Then it started going smooth again.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I didn't realize that Greg was so close. I thought he was a few hours away.I have been in touch with the guy who is doing mine. I took pictures before I even ordered the kit. I asked a bunch of questions on what he wanted to see. I have called a few times with other questions about wipers and DOT labeled lighting. He has been nothing but helpful.

terryjr

Whats your plans on bumpers and fenders? From what I've read, passing the enhanced inspection is the easy part, its the people in Harrisburg looking at 4 small photos that makes the process a real pain.

Last edited:

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Whats your plans on bumpers and fenders? From what I've read, passing the enhanced inspection is the easy part, its the people in Harrisburg with personal opinions that undermine the Inspectors professional opinion of street worthiness from looking at 4 small photos that makes the process a real pain.
I have the fenders from DF. And bumpers are pretty much figured out just some adjusting height.

terryjr

Super. Only other thing that's come up, and actually from a PennDot lady, is the fuel filler. They want it external so you can stand at pump to fill, not climbing in trunk or anything.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Super. Only other thing that's come up, and actually from a PennDot lady, is the fuel filler. They want it external so you can stand at pump to fill, not climbing in trunk or anything.
Yes I was going to tell you that. I thought of it after I looked at your pictures.

terryjr

Did you get your glass yet?

And a heads up, dont put any public videos online of the car running unless it sounds like a Prius. Apparently mine sounds like a "motorcycle" to a penndot employee and turned into a deciding factor on my first rejection