(SOLD)Karter2026's City Chassis 09 LT XFE, PA Build #72- Registered

terryjr

nice. Getting closer. Got all you receipts together yet for notary? They loved how i had mine itemized on an excel spread sheet.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I haven't been able to get to the shop this week. I have my wiper motors and I am itching to get them in it is the last big hurdle. Then some paint and inspection!

I did a little 3d printing in the mean time. I printed up some filler caps for the slots in the floor pan where the stock seat brackets would of went.

Even though I am probably not keeping the kit steering wheel. I wanted to dress it up a little so I printed a cap with the logo on it to cover up the bolts.

I may have a sneak peak at the color combination here late this week or early next week.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Today did not go as planned. I figured I would have the wipers done. Didn't happen. The wiper motors fit good, I trimmed the shaft length and started to wire them up. That's where things went wrong.

They were acting strange sometimes I could shut them off with the switch some times I could not ( they use a switched ground that controls the self park feature.) Turns out it was grounding through shafts to the mounting tabs on the windshield frame. That wasn't a hard fix some shrink tube on the shaft was all it took. The wipers would park now but not in the right spot. I did all my design work with the wipers parking at the bottom of the glass like most modern cars. ( See the green lines for where I wanted them to park. Red line is where they were parking )

I figured I would tear in and change the park position. Wrong!

No quick and easy way to do it. It has a small plastic cam that breaks the contact to park them. I have 2 solutions in mind. 1 print a new cam that is timed 180 degrees from original one. 2 Drill the shaft and gear that the cam mounts to turn it 180 degrees and tig weld it back together.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Update on wiper motors the problem is solved. It took a complete disassembly to do it but they both work fine now. I printed a new cam for the switch that controls the park position. The white one was the stock one, The blue is my updated one. I basically moved the flat on the cam to the opposite side.

Here it installed and ready for assembly.

I will keep the STL file for it in case anyone else who needs wipers goes with these same ones.

terryjr

thats pretty awesome you were able to figure that out and print a new cam to park them correctly. I would have thrown them deep into the woods and then cried in bed the rest of the day

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
thats pretty awesome you were able to figure that out and print a new cam to park them correctly. I would have thrown them deep into the woods and then cried in bed the rest of the day
I came close to that quite few times between Saturday and Sunday!

terryjr

sweet. Too bad PennDot doesnt understand they are useless on these lol. The rain blows around onto the inside of the glass and you still cant see

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Today I crossed a line that seem like it was along time getting here. I have to thank my brother for being bored this winter for the help with the paintwork. So here it is. Just some small finishing touches to do. Working on Insurance later this week and will schedule the enhanced inspection.

I made up a quick heat shield for the exhaust. It had been mentioned to me that the state may call me on it. Since someone could get burned on it. I'm not crazy about it but it serves the purpose.

terryjr

Looks great. For title process I just used my daily Volvo policy card. It doesn't have to be for the goblin, just needs to be an active policy in your name. After I got vin number I called Grundy, there's and application process that required a photo and a value you make up for their underwriter. Takes about a day. Then you pay for the year.

Oh and Grundy doesn't take credit card, gotta mail check with application. They'll give you a "binder" before they get check but I didn't trust it lol. I waited til I got ID card email before driving

Last edited:

ManDan1957

So about a week or two after I sold my middle daughter's 07 cobalt ( June 2017). My oldest daughter’s boyfriend sent me the link for the Goblin website. I immediately said no and went about my day. But lurking in the back of my head was this Goblin and the car I just sold.

I have for years thought about and came close a few times to buying a Manx style VW powered dune buggy. I was usually able to make an excuse that kept me from going for it. It hit me that I’m not getting any younger, and you only live once. It was time to take on a project. I then realized the Goblin was basically the same thing as the Manx buggy but with better suspension, better dependability, and easier parts availability. I sat down and read almost every build on the forum along with most other threads. A few emails with Adam and the donor search was on. I figured this will be a summer ride to and from work and some weekend cruising with the remote chance of an autocross once or twice. I decided I wanted a 5 speed car; it didn’t have to be a SC or TC car. After 3 weeks of searching and watching COPART for a donor car, after fees they were all more than I wanted to spend. One evening Captain Morgan and I were searching for a donor online and on Craigslist less than five miles from me was a good prospect. It did not run. Got some history from the owner and made the decision that I had found my donor car.

View attachment 2369
It had jumped the timing chain when he shut the car off. I pulled the head off and put in new timing chains, valves, valve stem seals, and a water pump. Put it all back together and the car runs great. I took my time with tearing the donor apart and sold parts off of it before I even started to tear it down. I wanted to have the donor parts mostly prepped before I ordered the chassis. Also, I am moving at the end of February, so I did not want the chassis sitting here to tempt me to work on it. The chassis with all three stages was ordered the beginning of December . That is the progress I have made so far.
View attachment 2370View attachment 2371
Stripping the donor and pulling the drive train.
View attachment 2372
A little engineering to get the shell out of the garage.
View attachment 2373
Getting rid of the shell
View attachment 2374
A lot of corrosion to deal with on the engine and transmission
View attachment 2375
Getting ready to clean it up.View attachment 2376
After lots of scotch brite pads, wire brushes and blood. It is ready for paint.
View attachment 2377View attachment 2378
All painted.
I love the yellow colour. Did you remove the cover for painting or just mask and spray.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Well the countdown is on. I am scheduled for inspection on Friday. Of course it is supposed to rain. Thought about rescheduling but I want to get the ball rolling. Too many obstacles to jump around to try to reschedule. I'm hoping that the weather man is as far off with the forecast tomorrow night and Friday as he has been all winter. Ready to get this over with!