Ken Leiker MotorSports // Track // 07 SS/SC Donor

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Ken, those driveshafts look BEEFY! The car is looking fantastic! You should have it permanently on its wheels and ready to take out for a first drive soon, I would hope. Need to test out that F40 transmission! ;)

KLMOTORSPORTS

Ken, those driveshafts look BEEFY! The car is looking fantastic! You should have it permanently on its wheels and ready to take out for a first drive soon, I would hope. Need to test out that F40 transmission! ;)
They are Stage 2 axles from Drive Shaft Shop...rated up to 450 HP. Ran into a snag with them...driver side perfect, but passenger side a little long. The sides fit in different and think that got missed (driver side in transmission vices passenger side into half shaft). Gotta send back for a little rework....no super big deal....other stuff to keep me busy!
089E7F1A-69CF-49D8-987D-D79661AF439A.jpeg
49F12D2A-4CB6-4107-9358-A513AA3A230C.jpeg

KLMOTORSPORTS

Drive Shaft Shop Stage 2 axles are installed! I made a mistake thinking the right rear axle was too long, but in fact it was just real stiff with the grease they use and need a little power to compress.

Highly recommend Drive Shaft Shop for axles needs...Matt and Bryson were awesome to work with and were only interested in making sure I was a happy customer! Great, great service and awesome axles!

Should have a lot of the small tasks done this weekend in prep for arrival of standalone engine harness from RDM Ecotecs...then it will be time to fire it up!

Been a lot of effort getting her together, but well worth it! Can’t wait for that first start!

0C831C16-6256-4F97-BEDB-8B9FCFF5FCA3.jpeg
FB08E73D-76D4-40D1-B802-3FA4B6422A7F.jpeg

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Your build looks great, Ken!

On a side note ... any advice on the best way to get axles installed? I've read they should just "pop in" but mine are being stubborn.

Thanks in advance!

KLMOTORSPORTS

Your build looks great, Ken!

On a side note ... any advice on the best way to get axles installed? I've read they should just "pop in" but mine are being stubborn.

Thanks in advance!
There is a clip at the end of the axle where when you push the axle in, you should feel it seat in place. When you pull out on the axle, it should remain in place if properly seated. To get the axle out, it should take a slight pry to unseat the ring and make the axle where it will slide right out.

Is the ring on the end of your axles maybe “not springy” and therefore maybe not feeling it seat in the groove in the transmission or mid shaft?

Hope this helps and thanks for the compliment on the build!

Ken

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
There is a clip at the end of the axle where when you push the axle in, you should feel it seat in place. When you pull out on the axle, it should remain in place if properly seated. To get the axle out, it should take a slight pry to unseat the ring and make the axle where it will slide right out.

Is the ring on the end of your axles maybe “not springy” and therefore maybe not feeling it seat in the groove in the transmission or mid shaft?

Hope this helps and thanks for the compliment on the build!

Ken
I've had trouble getting them to seat in. There's not really a great spot to grasp the axle to apply force ... I was contemplating light hammering on the end, but don't want to damage my axles. I'll figure out a way to get them in once my engine is mounted in the frame.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

KLMOTORSPORTS

Eyes were deceiving me, or it was to early or both. What did you use for your brake lines in the rear? I was considering replacing my hard line from the tee at the end of the tunnel.
I used -3 AN steel braided brake flex hoses throughout...I have zero hard lines. Same for clutch...

Thanks! Yes, they are -16 AN SS hoses...slide right in with just a hair gap...
Ken, I’m liking your idea to use the braided AN. Pardon my ignorance, but did you put the ends on yourself or have them made? Also, is it possible to go from the AN end to regular rubber hose, or are you running all AN?

KLMOTORSPORTS

Ken, I’m liking your idea to use the braided AN. Pardon my ignorance, but did you put the ends on yourself or have them made? Also, is it possible to go from the AN end to regular rubber hose, or are you running all AN?
I put the ends on...they (Jegs, Summit Racing, many other race parts places) sell the ends. There are videos on YouTube on how to put them on (“How to put AN fitting on stainless steel braided hose “)

Yes, you can go from AN steel hose to regular rubber hose...they sell barbed ends for SS hose. I am running pretty much all SS hose with AN fitting, but regular hose is an option.

Hope this helps!
Ken

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
The steering uses a Double D end U-Joint going into the steering rack and a 36 spline 3/4” on the other end of the U-Joint. Steering shaft is 36 spline on one end which I had to cut a little off on the other end....welded on Quick release for MPI Steering wheel and Quick Car release hub. The 5” drop down steering shaft bracket is from Summit Racing. I also used a 3/4” steering shaft support down at the other end by the steering rack for extra support. Very, very solid steering setup

The adjustable links use 1/2” rod ends threading into 6” hollow aluminum radius rods...

Hope this helps....thanks!
Ken
Ken, thanks so much for the details here - I love the simplicity. What was the length of the steering shaft rod you purchased? Also, seems like there is a bearing in the 4.5" dropdown you mentioned from Summit? Would you mind sharing a link to the bearing? Thanks in advance!

Edit: Ah, looks like Summit's picture of the dropdown doesn't include the bearing but the part number associated with it does. I assume it came with one like it's pictured here (link).

Last edited: