Kit Brake Calipers

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
What color/finish are the supplied calipers in the kit? I was going to take the Cobalt fronts down to get them powder coated today and then realized they may not match the fronts of the kit.

Johvans

I picked up my stage II this weekend and per Adam some of them having been coming in with the caliper raw (silver) and the clamp portion painted black. I'm going to use the G2 caliper painting kit today or tomorrow on mine.

John

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
I picked up my stage II this weekend and per Adam some of them having been coming in with the caliper raw (silver) and the clamp portion painted black. I'm going to use the G2 caliper painting kit today or tomorrow on mine.

John

Yep, The G2 kit worked super good. But move pretty fast you have about 1.5 hours and it starts to already get gummy!

Nuker-

Johvans

Yep, The G2 kit worked super good. But move pretty fast you have about 1.5 hours and it starts to already get gummy!

Nuker-
How did you do yours? I was thinking of drilling holes in some angle iron and making some stand offs and bolting them to it, putting them all in a row. Any other advice? Were they pretty clean to start with? Did you dissemble them further?

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Interesting.... What about just powder coating them? I'm going to take some of the brake parts to the powder coater today to see what he can do with them. Will they hold up to the heat?

Johvans

Interesting.... What about just powder coating them? I'm going to take some of the brake parts to the powder coater today to see what he can do with them. Will they hold up to the heat?
Powder coating works great, but the calipers should be dissembled and rebuilt afterwards. This is usually pretty expensive if you have a service do it. The caliper rebuild kits aren't crazy expensive but the G2 kit came in the color I liked and I had heard positive feedback.

Some powder coating shops will try to tell you that they can be left together and coated.... run far far away. It can dry out/crack the seals and the system may fail at the least opportune time.

Last edited:

David

When I did my motorcycle caliber the guy that was going to power coat them said that you would have to disassemble them because the orings inside them might not hold up to the heat so what I did is i split them open and I used the G2 kit and they lasted a long time. So when I start doing my goblin project I will see I might go the extra step and powder coat them

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
H
Powder coating works great, but the calipers should be dissembled and rebuilt afterwards. This is usually pretty expensive if you have a service do it. The caliper rebuild kits aren't crazy expensive but the G2 kit came in the color I liked and I had heard positive feedback.

Some powder coating shops will try to tell you that they can be left together and coated.... run far far away. It can dry out/crack the seals and the system may fail at the least opportune time.
Hate to hear that but I'm sure it's the truth. I actually knew better but was just hoping. I'm not afraid of tearing them apart, I did it on my vette but painter those and didn't care for it, paint still didn't hold up to the brake fluid spill.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I'm probably going to go the G2 route when I get to that point. It's a two part epoxy paint so it holds up way better than your normal rattle can paints. I've used G2 in the past, and it holds up well. You'll still get dings and chips. I think that's unavoidable. I'm not sure if a powder coat job would be more resistant, though.

David

Will powder coating hold up to brake fluid better then the g2 paint I was always very care about that so not sure how will it hold up

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Yeah, I just installed the brakes on the goblin, Sprayed the hell out of them with brake cleaner, taped off the bolt heads and went to town with the little brush. I think it took about 3 coats each. I just went from one to the next by the time I was done with 4th the 1st was ready for a coat again.

Nuker-

Goblin-SS

Will powder coating hold up to brake fluid better then the g2 paint I was always very care about that so not sure how will it hold up
I had a brake fluid leak I did notice for at least a week that was dripping on to my front control arm. It been mouths now since and not any signs of pealing, discoloring at all.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Yeah, I just installed the brakes on the goblin, Sprayed the hell out of them with brake cleaner, taped off the bolt heads and went to town with the little brush. I think it took about 3 coats each. I just went from one to the next by the time I was done with 4th the 1st was ready for a coat again.

Nuker-
Did you do the entire caliper (not talking about the mounting bracket) or just the outside of the caliper. I know it's sounds like a weird question, but in the G2 video, the guy did just his outside and I thought that would look silly. And was wondering if a guy would have to buy two sets to cover all four calipers completely.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
If the caliper is mounted it's easier to do just the outside. When I did my Mitsu's calipers I just did the outside and nobody could tell the difference because that's all you see anyways. Saves paint and time.

It's really up to you how much you paint.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
If the caliper is mounted it's easier to do just the outside. When I did my Mitsu's calipers I just did the outside and nobody could tell the difference because that's all you see anyways. Saves paint and time.

It's really up to you how much you paint.
Mine are off right now and I can easily do all of them on the bench. Just don't want to run out and then have to buy a whole set just for one more coat or something.