Lethalcast's City goblin- 2009 SS/TC G85

Christopher Sanchez

I used some door edge trim around the outside and mounted it in with high temp tape. I want to actually glass a small edge in or a small piece of channel around the edge so the grill has something to sit against.
I like it, with plastic you don’t have to worry about getting a wavy or distorted look as with a metal mesh... hmm yea I looked into buying a small fiberglass kit to maybe add some mounting points for a grill. It looks good, I am definitely going with ABS plastic.

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
I used some door edge trim around the outside and mounted it in with high temp tape. I want to actually glass a small edge in or a small piece of channel around the edge so the grill has something to sit against.
I used this double sided black tar tape for the base and then bought the smallest black zip ties I could find to secure it. I drilled very small holes in the corner you cannot tell. BTW that material is perfect so I appreciate you posting it a while back.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
My radiator took a beating at the Spring meet. So much rocks and crap on the roads in AR. One rock hit my hood right by the radiator so hard it took a pretty good chunk of paint with it. Any problems so far with the mesh breaking on hard impacts?

Lethalcast

So I've been having problems with the grill pushing in some times from speed. I didnt want to drill into it and didnt feel like mounting channels to keep it from pushing in so i took the grill material i had left and started thinking about an easier way when I realized the grill sheet is the same width as the opening Haha. So it just cut it even and round the corners a little and pushed it up in there and threw a couple zip ties on it. Grill #2 lol

askiles

Goblin Guru
So I've been having problems with the grill pushing in some times from speed. I didnt want to drill into it and didnt feel like mounting channels to keep it from pushing in so i took the grill material i had left and started thinking about an easier way when I realized the grill sheet is the same width as the opening Haha. So it just cut it even and round the corners a little and pushed it up in there and threw a couple zip ties on it. Grill #2 lol View attachment 8821View attachment 8822View attachment 8823
Nice and simple, and still looks great. I’ll probably do the same thing.

Lethalcast

Wow what a difference. Not only did it lower iat2 by an average of 15-20 degrees but the temp drops down quicker than it ever has. I used a hood scoop off a 2008 mustang. It wasnt a gt or anything just had an appearance package. I cut it 10" up from the rear lip and fished it in there and just drilled a hole on either side and zip tied to the rad support with some wire harness cover under it so it doesnt scratch.

Lethalcast

I had originally grabbed it to mount to the undercarriage to force air up to the heat exchanger with an angle glued in. Guess I'll need to grab another from the junkyard haha

Lethalcast

Looks like I still have enough to try my ram air idea too. I just looked and the hood scoop is actually expensive for the oem size. The one I grabbed is 14 3/4 wide and about 20 1/4 long. You could probably use any cheap hood scoop and make it work

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
TBH I think you're going to be no better and perhaps worse off than having the filter in the stock location on the other side. That entire area is stagnant when it comes to airflow and engine heat eventually heats up the intake tubing causing the IATs to creep up.

I noticed this today going for a drive. Air temp was about 75 degrees, but the IAT temps were around 90 degrees. IAT2 temps were actually cooler than the IAT temps at about 80 degrees. My IAT temps are always hotter than IAT2 temps under normal driving. Thank goodness for a good heat exchanger.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Why not put the intake pipe straight up from the inlet of the turbo into the cooler air above the engine? When you are driving the heat from the engine flows out behind the car. That is what I plan to do.