LHU instead of LNF ?

Ross

Goblin Guru
I am looking at the possible ways to get a LNF engine into a DF Goblin kit.
Seems like waiting for a Cobalt SS on Copart or IAAI takes a lot of time... (I'm too impatient).

So another possibility I wonder about is to get a regular Cobalt for half of the donar parts, and a HHR SS for the LNF/transmission.
Would the HHR engine & standard transmission fit?
I see the HHR also has an automatic for their LNF... will work in the DF Goblin?

According to wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Ecotec_engine)
The LNF engine developed into the LDK engine (nickname Franken Blocks) for euro 5 emissions, then to the LHU engine for E85 fuel.
The changes between these 3 engines seems relatively minor according to:
https://forum.hptuners.com/showthread.php?43975-LNF-LDK-LHU-Compare
The 3 pages of comments also included 2 people who put LHUs in their Cobalt cars.
Seems I would need to use the LHU engine wire harness, ECU and sensors, plus the LNF passenger side engine mount.

The LHU is available in various Buicks, and a Saab from 2011-2016.
If this engine works in the Goblin, it would "more than double"* the supply of turbo engines available for the kit, and one even makes 270hp.

* Based on a quick look in Coparts and IAAI cars available.

SliderR1

Pretty sure HHR stuff is the same. I think Dan Perry used a HHR transmission in his build.

As long as the newer engines can accept the right mounts, I don't see any reason it couldn't be made to work.

You might have issues with the BCM talking to the newer ECM - worth checking into if you want to keep all the things the BCM is used for.

IDRVSLO

Goblin Guru
I am sure there is a way to make it work but it would end up costing more in the long run. You will definitely need different axles, the computers will probably be the biggest hang up...might have different fuse boxes(for sure the auto vs manuals do).

I would preach patience at this point but I didnt have much myself. I tried the auction route but wasnt satisfied. I bought an 08 SS with a bad valve seal for $2,300 that had 76k on it. I recouped around $1800 in parts and bought a new LDK to swap in the Goblin. I could have squeezed more out of the part out but needed the space.

I like your approach I just think you might cause more headaches for yourself. The nice thing about getting a car that is complete to swap is that you can ensure it runs properly before you tear it apart.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
If you’re impatient, stay away from mix/matching. Most specifically: the wiring, BCM’s & ECM’s (and even factory security systems) in these cars are all different between models to certain degrees and require a ton of time, skill, research and work to combine. Some stuff simply isn’t compatible at all. For simplicity it is far easier to stick with 1 donor.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Thanks guys for responding.

SliderR1, BCM is the Body Control Module? = Electric windows,A/C functions, electric mirrors,electric locks,security systems? Does the Goblin still have the BCM module? The computer part is my biggest worry too.

IDRVSLO, Yes, I need more patience. You ended up pretty much doing what I was suggesting!
Axles... well the 2 Cobalt guys used their stock LNF transmission and axles, so the Goblin would need those parts from an LNF car. Guess I didn't think that one thru... back to needing a LNF.

Although, it would be luck if the Buick LHU engine had a transmission that fit. Custom axles probably needed. Fuse boxes don't scare me, but you are probably right about the computers being the biggest issue. I'm not sure how the Goblin got the computers to work after the air bag system was removed, BCM system gutted, etc. Does the ODBII system have a bunch of codes thrown on a Goblin? Or do they get cleared/reset?

So your 08 SS donated the transmission, suspension, electronics, steering, etc? Isn't a bad valve seal pretty easy to replace? Or was there bigger issues? Where did you get a new LDK from?

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Thanks guys for responding.

SliderR1, BCM is the Body Control Module? = Electric windows,A/C functions, electric mirrors,electric locks,security systems? Does the Goblin still have the BCM module? The computer part is my biggest worry too.
Yes Body control module. It controls all of the mentioned and more. ( lights, horn, flashers, Mileage for the odometer is stored in the BCM) Take your time and find a donor. Just my 2Cents.

IDRVSLO

Goblin Guru
If you havent watched the videos I would start there, especially the wire harness ones. It will give you a complete picture of what is done, saved, removed, etc. Yes it throws codes but there is a way to eliminate the lights.

I got the LDK from www.zzperformance.com $2,085 shipped. I didnt want to hassle with rebuilding and the LDK has a better block so I did it for a few reasons.

TurboWood

For what it's worth, I assume you can run an LHU engine on the LNF electronics. I'm doing the exact opposite (LHU ECM on LDK engine). I can't speak to the transmission interface though.

There are some notable differences, but nothing huge. The LNF uses a wideband O2 and has two knock sensors (vs. narrow band and one knock sensors on LHU). The LHU also has some different sensors in the charge piping I believe. I don't think that would impact you though.

Daniel