Luke's City Frame Goblin '07 SS/SC Registered!!!!

Brian74

Goblin Guru
I went with the South Bend clutch through zzp. From what I’ve read, people seem to like that one or the GMPP the best. I would keep an eye on the zzp website between now and black Friday. I just paid full price for my clutch so I’ll bet with my luck it will go on sale, lol.

lksohm

Just a quick update:
I have the cobalt completely striped. I have the majority of the wiring done but have found far too many differences between the videos and my wiring harness to be comfortable moving forward. I'll wait til I am assembling the kit to continue. I think it will be more clear then with wire lengths and such.
I have my powder coating equipment. I will be doing my own coating on things that will fit in a kitchen oven. I will be prepping parts for the next 3-4 weeks before I can drive down to pick up the kit. I coated my girlfriend's coffee mug in Ford blue to practice. I will be honing my skills on my daily driver before I start on my Goblin parts.
Is there any recommended maintence I should do on the drive train while it is out? The cobalt had 140K miles. I was considering changing the timing belt and upgrading the clutch.

20181121_152255.jpg20181123_201234.jpg20181125_163757.jpg

-Luke

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Just a quick update:
I have the cobalt completely striped. I have the majority of the wiring done but have found far too many differences between the videos and my wiring harness to be comfortable moving forward.
Is there any recommended maintence I should do on the drive train while it is out? The cobalt had 140K miles. I was considering changing the timing belt and upgrading the clutch.

-Luke
I would keep working on the harness. There will be differences between model years, options and packages. If you wait too long to do you will forget where something goes. The lengths for extending the harness are spot on in the videos. You could always add an inch to be sure of yourself.

There is no belt for timing. It is a chain. If you do not change the chain at least update the chain tensioner. I would change it while it is out it gives you a chance to seal up the front cover and crankseal also. The water pump is very easy to do when it is apart also.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
There are several experienced SC builders here. Ask lots of questions. I enjoy wiring and schematics so I dont mind stepping in with non-SC specific issues.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Make sure you label every connector on the harness. You will thank yourself later. I did label most but not all and I thought "I can remember this", but weeks, months later I just had a blank stare when looking at them again.

LIke Karter said, I would change out the timing chain and gear set. It's easy to do now and doesn't cost that much. There are great videos on from Cloyes on exactly how to do it. Don't forget the chain tensioner. And be careful how you engage the chain tensioner. I thought I had it and then double-checked and I didn't!

lksohm

Sorry, I meant timing chain. I am used to the belt on my daily driver. I have watched a few videos on changing them and I think it's within my abilities.

I would be much more comfortable with the wiring if I had a pinout for each connector. I do a decent amount of wiring trouble shooting for my job but haven't found this information for the cobalt. I bought a Chilton book but that doesn't seem to have all the answers. Does anyone have a source for the pinouts?
I wasn't as thorough as I thought with my labeling. Lesson learned.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
We had access to a couple of manuals but they were difficult at best to find the connectors you wanted. I was able to print a bunch of it at one time but didn't get everything. If you have questions about a wire or connector, post it, someone will be able to help you.

Otherwise a local library tends to have the Chilton's Online manual.

lksohm

I made the trip down to the Goblin nursery this weekend to pick up my kit. It was so cool to talk to Lonny and Adam in person and learn about everything that goes into what it takes to make the kit. I was very impressed!

I haven't had much time to spend on prepping my donor parts because I am making Christmas gifts for my family. The next step is cleaning up the large pieces that will be powder coated.

I can't wait to start assembling. 20181215_190755.jpg20181216_152652.jpg

Nilbog

Are you still planning to head this way for coating? If so, please confirm your vendor/color and i'll order some to test.

lksohm

Does anyone recommend making any changes to the chassis before powder coating? I have seen a few things that people have added studs for grounding and tabs or brackets for things.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Does anyone recommend making any changes to the chassis before powder coating? I have seen a few things that people have added studs for grounding and tabs or brackets for things.
Here is what I did. Plus some extra tabs for the side panels.
http://dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?threads/karter2026s-city-goblin-09-lt-donor-pa-build.483/page-2#post-10514
I also like this idea
http://dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?threads/ctuinstras-city-goblin-07-ss-sc-donor-2-0.756/page-5#post-14133