Manny's City Goblin - 07 SS/SC Donor

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Well, I finally made my order in late Feb. and I just secured my donor so I thought it was time for a build thread.

I've been on this forum a while. I bought an SS/TC donor from copart that was there for mechanical reasons back in Oct. 17. I replaced a bunch of parts and set the timing and it ran like a champ. I saw an opportunity to sell it for a good profit so thats what I did (Dec. 17). A few months later I visited Red Oak and met their team. I decided I'd only live once and figured the Goblin build would be a learning exp.

My donor is a 2007 SS/SC. It has 73k, no CEL, and a few aftermarket parts.

I don't have a ton of free time so I'd bet this build is going to take me a while and I am sure I'll have plenty of questions.

The first being...how long did it take you to rip apart the donor? and did you throw away the majority of the parts that you didn't use and are not worth much? I will prob be doing a lot of this by myself and I've got a smaller garage so I cant really just let it sit in there so I want to get it done. I hate to have a wrecked car sitting outside my house half torn apart.

IMG_20180219_104549.jpg

KJP

Glad to see you starting on this.

I parted out my car and the exterior went fast but everything else was pretty slow to non existent on demand.
If the seats are in good condition those will go quick.

I have a bunch of my parts still just eating up garage space.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
I had the donor entirely disassembled in about 20 hours. I was unable to sell any parts, granted I didn’t try very hard. Gotta realize you’re competing with hundreds of junk yards all over the country. $40 for an AC compressor isn’t worth the time it takes to box it up.

SS parts do sell better though, your best bet is the cobalt forums and FB market place.

That looks like the perfect dornor. Nice find

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
That's a great gem you found. I think you'll be very happy with a running donor with no CEL to boot. I got my donor disassembled in about two weekends. Since mine wasn't damaged I took my time with the disassembly trying not to break anything. I don't think you're going to have to worry about that too much. :) Those are actually some pretty nice wheels. Are they damaged much? You should be able to easily sell those if not.

Most of my stuff sold pretty fast. I had good luck with Craigslist. Seats, rear cushion, and wheels went quick for me.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I sold doors, seats fenders, hood and bumpers. I priced them cheaply so they would go quickly. Ended up almost paying for my donor. I posted it about two weeks before I started to tear it apart.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
That's a great gem you found. I think you'll be very happy with a running donor with no CEL to boot. I got my donor disassembled in about two weekends. Since mine wasn't damaged I took my time with the disassembly trying not to break anything. I don't think you're going to have to worry about that too much. :) Those are actually some pretty nice wheels. Are they damaged much? You should be able to easily sell those if not.

Most of my stuff sold pretty fast. I had good luck with Craigslist. Seats, rear cushion, and wheels went quick for me.
Well the wheels aren't in great shape as they have some curb rash but they could be repaired. I really like them though. Best ones I've seen on an SS. I think I'll end up going to a 4x100 set up when I get to that point so I'll likely just see what I can get for them.

RichRich

It took me about a week to tear down my donor but I was limited to morning hours only. Trying to do any garage stuff in Mesa Arizona in August gets rough. Any work during the day time was limited to very short intervals followed by a dive in the pool lol.

I am keeping most everything till I have a clear title in my hand, some states need different things for registration and I was just afraid that they were going to ask to see the original frame or something goofy like that. I have a RV gate that I tucked it back into and it is invisible to neighbors though so it wasn't a big concern. I haven't heard of anyone needing the frame yet for registration but just easier to keep it to make sure.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Not sure about other states, but the junk yards here in OK require you to sign the title over to them to scrap the frame. While OK doesn't require a title to apply for a VIN, I think it might be a less of a hassle route. Now I have to figure out what a notarized bill of sale will involve.

KJP

Here in Ohio I need my title donor title to get a Vin. I put the shell on Craigslist and someone picked it up from me and just wanted to see the title. Getting the shell on to a trailer with no subframe was probably the worst part of the whole dissassembly for me. Just cross your fingers for minimal rust because that can make a huge difference in dissassembly time

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Here in Ohio I need my title donor title to get a Vin. I put the shell on Craigslist and someone picked it up from me and just wanted to see the title. Getting the shell on to a trailer with no subframe was probably the worst part of the whole dissassembly for me. Just cross your fingers for minimal rust because that can make a huge difference in dissassembly time
So, are you saying that to get the VIN for your Goblin you had to use the donor title? I will be getting a title for mine of course it'll say salvage. But, I didn't think I'd need it at all for the Goblin vin as the origin documentation and invoice as far as I know are whats used to initially title the goblin.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
I think most states require some sort of proof that the donor vehicle wasn't stolen.
Weird. I mean i understand but I also think its crazy because a lot of people part out the very parts that we need. But, good to know. So do you think i should hold on to the title and the car, or just the title itself until I get a vin for the kit car?

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I'd call your local scrap yard and see if they require the title to be signed over to them when you junk it. If you go that route. I'd also call the DMV to determine exactly what you'd need. You might need to have title in hand or you can get by with a bill of sale. Title will probably be easier.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Yeah, I really didn't read through it before I posted it. It looked good at the time. :) I guess MD doesn't require any sort of proof of ownership for the donor vehicle. I'd double check though.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
You don't want to find out a year later when you go to title it that you needed proof of the donor VIN. I was scared of this and got it titled on my name as a junk title ($2.50) because it originally was an out of state title.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Well, yesterday I picked up my SS. It was wrecked during a snow storm a while back and lost a rear wheel in the process. That made it pretty interesting trying to get it off the trailer and in place. I ended up getting a wheel dolly and strapping it to it. Took it slow and it I made it.
download_20180310_205834.jpg

download_20180310_205836.jpg

I had a full free day to tear into the project. Working alone for about 9.5 hours and I am pretty much done with video 5...and super exhausted.
IMG_20180310_125849.jpg

Some parts took longer then others...I couldn't find a hose to drain the gas tank, so I had to cut my garden hose...which didn't even fit. Then my gas container was full so I had to keep filling up my truck each time the container was full. I only really had a few issues. The subframe rear bolts took forever. I don't have an impact wrench (yet), only an impact driver. So any really tight bolts I had to do by hand. The axle was tricky too. Its super tight so I had to rig something to keep it secure and still turn it.

I lowered the engine by basically putting the car as low as it would go then putting the dolly under the engine and unbolting it. Then lifted the car back up pretty high and slid the engine out. It was actually pretty easy.
Getting it into my garage was rough. There is about 1 inch height difference between the driveway and the garage floor. I had to lift the dolly in order to get it up there, and I didn't want to tip it over so I ended up having to make a ramp of some sort.

After getting it in the garage...I don't get how you guys are painting and making your engine's look so good. Is everyone using a engine hoist and engine stand? I hate to buy two more tools that I'll rarely use. But the way it sits, I just don't see I could get it all painted. I also wanted to keep the transmission on, but I am not sure how I could get it all painted like that...

I found a few nice things to sell while dismantling it. It has lowering springs a full 3" zzp exhaust and zzp mid pipe. The interior is in great shape, but I am tossing pretty much all of the plastic and I'll just work on selling the seats, radio and air condition controls.

I need to make sure all the front suspension is straight and the subframe is good to go.
Its actually moving a long a lot faster then I thought it would. I took my time, labeled pretty much everything in the engine bay. I went a little out of order on the videos towards the end. I have most of the interior wiring harness loose, just got to finish removing the dash now.

I think tomorrow morning I may hop back into it and try and get it all removed. Here are a few pictures of the journey...

IMG_20180310_153603.jpg

MVIMG_20180310_154449.jpg
MVIMG_20180310_160828.jpg
IMG_20180310_161312.jpg