Manny's City Goblin - 07 SS/SC Donor

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Not much really completed but getting here.

I bought an oven from Craigslist. Then proceeded to burn out the control board after thinking I could make it heat up faster. That was great, back to square one.

Almost have one harness installed. Just need a but for a couple bolts. Messed around with the steering buttons and figures those out for the most part. My brakes should be here Tuesday so I am hoping to be test driving soon.

Also started working on the solution for wrapping the panels. Working with Chad's, Racinggraphocs wanted 290 for the design and print. A local place wants 670 for design, print and install.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Not much really completed but getting here.

I bought an oven from Craigslist. Then proceeded to burn out the control board after thinking I could make it heat up faster. That was great, back to square one.

Almost have one harness installed. Just need a but for a couple bolts. Messed around with the steering buttons and figures those out for the most part. My brakes should be here Tuesday so I am hoping to be test driving soon.

Also started working on the solution for wrapping the panels. Working with Chad's, Racinggraphocs wanted 290 for the design and print. A local place wants 670 for design, print and install.
That's really odd that they wanted to charge that. You seen my invoice. I wonder why.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
That's really odd that they wanted to charge that. You seen my invoice. I wonder why.
Yeah. For whatever reason he wanted to charge double for the sides. What's why it's more...here is the quote.

Sides (Sold as pair: $130
Hood: $100.90
Art Charge: $60
Subtotal: $290.90

How hard was the hood install? Watching goonzsquad mess theirs up twice has me wondering if I should attempt...

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I would recommend at least two people to wrap any of it other than the side panels. I tried to do the fenders with my brother. ( both have done wood grain on some station wagons in the 80's and 90's. I have put decals on a ton of police cars) I feel like one more person holding the fender and working the heat gun would of helped... So now the fenders are painted.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Yeah. For whatever reason he wanted to charge double for the sides. What's why it's more...here is the quote.

Sides (Sold as pair: $130
Hood: $100.90
Art Charge: $60
Subtotal: $290.90

How hard was the hood install? Watching goonzsquad mess theirs up twice has me wondering if I should attempt...
It was a bit of a pain, but very do-able with two people. One that knows instinctively how to hold it for you as you work it really helps. Heat is also your friend. The goonzsquad just did it all wrong. I was yelling at my screen watching them attempt it. We started at the top/middle and worked our way out and down. They just started at the closest spot they could reach.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Looks the initial price was incorrect. It was cheaper like yours.

I feel like I've accomplished a lot today and I haven't even worked on it. I found a place 5 min away from my house that is going to blast my brakes for me. Then when I called, it was a dual business shop, and there was a graphics guy who said he'd check out and possibly install the hood wrap....which I just ordered.

I am really hoping I will be able to get the brakes blasted tomorrow, powdercoat them thurs then if I am luckly bleed everything and take it out for some fresh air this weekend....

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Seems like forever since I've made progress...

Today I received the wrap in the mail. The wrap looks great but could have been packaged a little better.

Tonight I was able to get the middle console riveted in, the harnesses in, the seats in and I powder coated the front brakes. I was able to reassemble one of them and install it. The other was still too hot.

IMG_20190412_211923.jpg
IMG_20190412_212108.jpg
IMG_20190412_211926.jpg

I am pretty happy with the results.

Next the back...bleed them and hit the road.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Like every project. Its taking a bit longer than anticipated...I think I've pretty much powder coated everything I need to. So now just waiting on a bit of hardware and I should be on the road.

I picked up a free oven over the weekend, which makes it a bit easier to do more then 1 item at a time. It was a wall oven which makes it a tad bit smaller, but it was free so i cant complain. I'll also feel way better about tossing it when I am done. Extra food included.

Rear Brakes:

Seat Rails:

Question for you guys who have installed your hood. Did you guys cut out the mirror areas? I am running the DF supplied mirrors and from what I saw, looks like some people did and didn't but I think I'll have clearance issues if I do not cut them out. Image below:

Last edited:

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
Yes trim the hood to clear the mirrors. We use a 4 1/2" angle grinder to do our trimming. Do it outside and wear a dust mask.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
We used a saber saw and it worked really well other than one blade per cut. I found out if you cut them completely clear of the mirror, the sides of the hood bounce around a lot. It you cut it just enough to mount the hood and it still touches the mirror, the hood doesn't move hardly at all.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Partially done wrapping...the side panels are almost complete. Not positive if I will wrap the hood myself or not.

The side is wrapped in a custom design from racinggraphics.com and they use some 3m branded wrap. Then the inside is wrapped with Vvivid branded flat black from Amazon.

The first side was a little tougher. Once you get the hang of it the sides are pretty easy.

Here it is held in place. But not mounted.
IMG_20190417_202625.jpg
IMG_20190417_202637.jpg

I noticed there are holes in the side panels but not the frame. Any recommendations for ensuring proper mounting? I know I'll use the rivets. Any silicone?

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Yes, use silicone where it contacts the larger diameter tubes. Makes sure the alignment is right and tape it in place. Drill one hole at a time and temp place a rivet in each hole to help hold it in place. Don't crimp them until you get all holes and are happy with it. Do not attempt to drill into the weld on the roll bar. You will see what I'm talking about. It will kill or break your bit. Just avoid the weld or drill a new hole.

And for heaven sakes, do NOT succumb to the idea of adding more rivets to the bottom frame rail! Only use the tabs! Think about it. I had the drill lined up before figuring out it would be a bad idea. Then to find out someone else did!

askiles

Goblin Guru
Partially done wrapping...the side panels are almost complete. Not positive if I will wrap the hood myself or not.

The side is wrapped in a custom design from racinggraphics.com and they use some 3m branded wrap. Then the inside is wrapped with Vvivid branded flat black from Amazon.

The first side was a little tougher. Once you get the hang of it the sides are pretty easy.

Here it is held in place. But not mounted.
View attachment 8159View attachment 8160

I noticed there are holes in the side panels but not the frame. Any recommendations for ensuring proper mounting? I know I'll use the rivets. Any silicone?
Love those graphics!!

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Well. First time on the road went pretty well.
IMG_20190420_085930.jpg

This morning I bled the brakes and clutch then just zip tied the back up so I could test out the gears and take it out...slowely.

It backfired once from a first to second then kicked off. I started it back up and it was fine...not sure what happened there.

I did notice it won't go over 3 psi. Thoughts? I'll have a video of it all later.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Seems to be a common problem, as several other build threads also indicate getting only 3psi boost after getting their cars on the road. You may want to search for them to see what remedies may have been implemented.