Manny's City Goblin - 07 SS/SC Donor

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
While there might be cases where running a ground wire from front to back is a good idea, I generally find that to be unnecessary. You can run wire to you hearts content. But if it's still not well connected, that's not going to help.

A ground requires three basic things to work.

1. Clean
2. Mechanically sound
3. Good electrical resistance back to the battery.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
I buttoned up the radiator hoses using the above advice...
IMG_20190220_204735.jpg

IMG_20190220_204748.jpg

Then for the more exciting stuff...A true first start...I ended up using rubber fuel line with the OEM connectors for the fuel set up. I found that heating the plastic with a lighter then using an razor made it easy to loosen and pull them off. I need to mount and route my lines different from the picture. But this gives you an idea. Here is the fuel set up.

IMG_20190220_102031.jpg

IMG_20190220_121632.jpg

IMG_20190220_121620.jpg

As you can see in the video I was putting the fuel in the car. Putting the lines together then going for the start.

I didn't have a plug to cover the throttle body plug. And I wasn't sure I'd that was applicable on the SS/SC. When it first kicked over I wasn't sure if it was idling weird because I didn't have the air intake on so that's what I was doing...finding it. Then installing it. Finally it clicked in my head so I covered the port on the throttle body.

I tried to edit the video but my skills are terrible. During the middle I was looking for the air filter and putting together the mass air flow sensor. Finally after I had it running well the video cut out.

Last edited:

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Getting there. Finally figure out how to cleanly run the passenger side coolant hose past the supercharger. I ended up using half the original on, then half another original one that was on the car. The picture actually makes it look closer then it really is.

IMG_20190224_195420.jpgIMG_20190224_195409.jpg

Fixed my grounding issues and wired up the radiator fan.

I have a question about the coolant tank routing. Will I run a hose from the bottom of the coolant tank to here...the one with the clip on it.

Screenshot_20190224-225158.png

That's my next step....hopefully run it for a while. Then work on the suspension.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Thanks!

I am looking to wrap my harness with tape. One issue that i mentioned but moved on from is that when I turn the key one click nothing happens, no lights on dash, no sounds etc. It is only when i turn to the run position that the dash lights and fuel pump turn on etc.

Any idea if it should be like this or possibly troubleshooting if it is not supposed to be like this?

Ross

Goblin Guru
The first key position is "accessories". So the radio, fresh air fan, windows, etc should work. But the Goblin has none of those... so I can't think of anything that should happen. The next "run" position should turn on the engine stuff you mentioned. I think your Goblin is working correctly.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
This weekend I finished up the heat exchanger plumbing. I'll get some pictures of how I tied into the pump. It was pretty straightforward. I only need to get one splice to make it all comes together. I tightened up my harness but I want to get the full first start (with coolant) out of the way before I remove it and tape it up completely.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
A bit more completed. Feels like I am slow to make progress right now with so much going on. I started putting together the shifter assembly and also removed the wiring harness from the car to give it its final wrap. I have to say, the TESA tape does give it a nicer look.
I must have thrown away the cable bracket that holds the DF bracket. So I ordered one of those.

Here is a picture of my the hoses going into the exchanger tubes. The one hanging down just needs to be cut to length and attached. Which I have already done.

Also a bit interesting, today marks 1 year ago that I was working on removing parts off the donor. I lost a ton of time when we sold our home and bought another.

Ross

Goblin Guru
So your heat exchanger tubes are running under your frame? Mine are going in the center tunnel. Or am I just having difficulties getting perspective on your photograph?

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
So your heat exchanger tubes are running under your frame? Mine are going in the center tunnel. Or am I just having difficulties getting perspective on your photograph?
That's under the gas tank, which is higher than the tunnel. They would be going through the tunnel.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
I have to say the Tesa tape is nice. Here is it all wrapped up, After putting it in the car for the second time wrapped up and zip tied in place, I need to extend the top clutch cable a bit more. Here it is before getting it in.

After I got it back in the car I remembered I kept the outlets, I had not checked them so I was pretty excited to see they work. I have two, I think I'll mount on in the tunnel then the other I may leave out of the way until later on.

Finally started on the suspension this morning. I got the arms in but I am going to powdercoat the top clips and a few other smaller items, so I am at somewhat of a stopping point. I ordered the powder but its not here, and I also need to find a oven. I am sure I can figure out something to work on.

It looks off but as far as I can tell, these are installed correctly. I also moved the steering arm to the middle of the two control arms.