Manny's City Goblin - 07 SS/SC Donor

JSATX

Goblin Guru
It does look awesome. I spent a lot of time getting my shifter adjustment perfect, and then the adjustment vibrated loose. Lock tight is your friend.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
It does look awesome. I spent a lot of time getting my shifter adjustment perfect, and then the adjustment vibrated loose. Lock tight is your friend.
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. I should prob do that on the smaller screws because even when I went to adjust they were a little loose

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Slight update. back tracking a little and working on the parking brake set up. I've been following a couple other builders on how exactly they installed their parking brakes.

Did you guys run the shift cables under the parking brakes assembly? The spacers that came with the kit don't really seem tall enough to clear the cables if they are mounted under it. Also. I did not keep my parking brake cables from my donor. So i ordered new ones....part number 25836299 which fit the Cobalt and the HHR (not the Cobalt SS). Its around 60" long...anyone know if this is going to end up fitting? I looked up the SS's and I think around 72"

askiles

Goblin Guru
Slight update. back tracking a little and working on the parking brake set up. I've been following a couple other builders on how exactly they installed their parking brakes.

Did you guys run the shift cables under the parking brakes assembly? The spacers that came with the kit don't really seem tall enough to clear the cables if they are mounted under it. Also. I did not keep my parking brake cables from my donor. So i ordered new ones....part number 25836299 which fit the Cobalt and the HHR (not the Cobalt SS). Its around 60" long...anyone know if this is going to end up fitting? I looked up the SS's and I think around 72"

View attachment 8567
DF specifically says to use the SS parking brake cables, and if you don't have the SS ones, you need to order them. Sorry mate. Sounds like the ones you got may be too short.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
DF specifically says to use the SS parking brake cables, and if you don't have the SS ones, you need to order them. Sorry mate. Sounds like the ones you got may be too short.
Bummer, thanks for the quick reply.

Has anyone installed their parking brake without using the tubes? I might as well go to a junkyard and pull it myself since I don't have those either....

Tony

If that's me, hopefully I'll have some answers for you tonight. I'm gonna stop and get some different spacers on my way home from work, and I think I'll be able to use the provided 1/4" spacers in the back, then some 1"-1.5" in the front. That should be high enough to let the shift cables run underneath. If you do need to pull the tubes at the yard, it's really easy. Just the clip under the console, and it pulls right out of the body.

Tony

If that's me, hopefully I'll have some answers for you tonight. I'm gonna stop and get some different spacers on my way home from work, and I think I'll be able to use the provided 1/4" spacers in the back, then some 1"-1.5" in the front. That should be high enough to let the shift cables run underneath. If you do need to pull the tubes at the yard, it's really easy. Just the clip under the console, and it pulls right out of the body.
http://dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?threads/tonys-city-goblin-2010-ss-tc.232/post-19951

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
What a pain...I worked on the ebrake today. Figured out a lot of my questions. I also realize why there are no spacers in the rear. It really needs to be mounted like the pictures that lonny posted. The lines would be to high if the shift cables ran under it and not beside it.... But you'd only see this if the rear firewall is in place. See below
IMG_20190517_212540.jpg

The cable tubes aren't scratched as much as they look. But I should likely put some edging on the firewall.
IMG_20190517_212547.jpg

Now I need to go too the junk yard and get the tubes and lines...

It was such a pain because to mount the bolts I had to take the seats, cables, and tunnel out...re-rivet them...glad it's done. Hopefully I can make it out to the junk yard tomorrow.

Last edited:

Ross

Goblin Guru
Thanks for being a pioneer... I have started the E-brake process, and your pictures help. I was thinking of using rivnuts on the tunnel just in case I want in there for future changes.

Parson Green

His spouse: Honey, why are you spending so much time out driving that kitcar again? Have you looked at the lawn lately?

JSATX: It's part of the build process, dear. Getting the shifter adjustment just right is a non-trivial, time-consuming task.

His spouse: OK, I'm calling the lawn-service people right now and the bill is coming out of your allowance ...

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
His spouse: Honey, why are you spending so much time out driving that kitcar again? Have you looked at the lawn lately?

JSATX: It's part of the build process, dear. Getting the shifter adjustment just right is a non-trivial, time-consuming task.

His spouse: OK, I'm calling the lawn-service people right now and the bill is coming out of your allowance ...
Round-up. Problem solved

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
I made it out to get the cables and tubes from a pick and pull. It was an automatic SS, but everything looked the be the right sizes. Not easy pulling it all from a smelly car that you can't get the wheels off of...20 bucks later I've got what I need. I'll put it all together sometime this week.

I did take it around the subdivision today and got pretty going pretty fast. It def needs an real alignment. Gets squirly.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
I finished up the Ebrake yesterday. Everything is tight and works as it should.

I should be getting the MCO today in the mail. Right now I am in between Montana registration and Maryland.

In MD, if I go down that path I think I'll need to figure out a safety glass windshield and fenders. I saw that Lonny recently cut a glass windshield using the a diamond tip that fit the existing bracket. If I had to do the fenders I may be able to either borrow some or figure out something else that could be temporary.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Well...No registration yet. Since I don't have a title and I'm looking to register it in Montana I need to find an officer to vin/serial number inspect it for paperwork.

My serial number was powder coated over so I had to take it off to strip it then re install.

Before:
IMG_20190523_201148_1.jpg

After:
IMG_20190528_193851.jpg

I am pretty eager to take it out on the road.