Manual Transmission Fluid

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Which fluid do you all end up using to refill your manual transmission? I've been reading about it and there are a lot of opinions on the fluid that one should be using.

I decided to stick with OEM.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
What I'm hearing is that many fluids have friction modifiers for LSD, but even though some of these (such as mine) have LSD in them, they are sealed units and don't come in contact with the fluid in the transmission. So they aren't supposed to have LSD friction modifiers.

I'm not sure about Royal Purple if it does or not.

KJP

I will be sticking with OEM.
I have used both Royal purple and and mt90 in vehicles and the only real difference I have ever noticed is in the bitter cold the royal purple seems much better. For the goblin that won't be an issue.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I will be sticking with OEM.
I have used both Royal purple and and mt90 in vehicles and the only real difference I have ever noticed is in the bitter cold the royal purple seems much better. For the goblin that won't be an issue.
Good Point!

RichRich

I went with OEM as well, I read enough stuff on forums that convinced me to just bite the bullet. Just as a warning it is $25 a quart and I needed 2 to top it off. I was really hoping 1 would do it but it didn't. When I went back to the dealership the same guy was there and he gave me a bit of a discount on the 2nd quart, but still was $15.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I went with OEM as well, I read enough stuff on forums that convinced me to just bite the bullet. Just as a warning it is $25 a quart and I needed 2 to top it off. I was really hoping 1 would do it but it didn't. When I went back to the dealership the same guy was there and he gave me a bit of a discount on the 2nd quart, but still was $15.
Here is the GM # I got from Alldata for my 2009. 88861800 and the capacity is listed at 1.7 quarts for a complete drain and fill
I found it at Summit racing for $6.75 qt
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ado-10-4033?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-acdelco&gclid=Cj0KCQiA5aTUBRC2ARIsAPoPJk9tTxmnZaSMsy3vOX76-h8_OEjuneq1sHx560ILfhlqeTTYfpGfyAsaAjQKEALw_wcB

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
The GM numbers I found for my 2007 MU3 are: 21018899 n/a w/Summit

The GM numbers I found for a 2009 MU3 are: 88862472 $21.99

The local dealer actually didn't have them in stock but could have it by Monday. I didn't think about ordering it through Jegs or Summit and just placed an order with them yesterday! However, Summit only had the one with a ship date of what might as well be next year. And the dealer price is right there with the Summit price so no complaints

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I ordered the 88862472 and received 19351859. From what I can tell, this is the replacement for the 88862472.

ToxicBill

Sorry to dig up an older post.

I'm looking to buy a few questions if transmission fluid for a F35 trans. I found the 19351859 on Amazon but I also found a synthetic version (12346190). Anyone have any experience with the synthetic?

RichRich

Only use the recommended fluid part number. Other fluids can contain friction modifiers. My professional opinion DO NOT run ANYTHING other than ACDelco part number 19351859. Do not let the "synthetic" branding fool you into thinking it is superior

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
For anyone wondering, the F40 transmission uses GM 88862472 part number fluid - which is a Castrol synthetic 75W_85 GL-4 gear oil.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
234 miles on my F35 Goblin. Very smooth shifting.
Original donor had 82k miles.
I am happy with the Royal Purple so far.

IMG_8281.jpg

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Only use the recommended fluid part number. Other fluids can contain friction modifiers. My professional opinion DO NOT run ANYTHING other than ACDelco part number 19351859. Do not let the "synthetic" branding fool you into thinking it is superior
Hello Rich, long time since heard from you. Things going okay?