Media Blast Cabinet / Powder Coating

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Guys. I just picked up a media blast cabinet basically this one from harbor freight.

My air compressor isn't that large (8 gal) so I know it going to take me a while and be working it to death and take breaks inbetween, So I am looking to upgrade soon to a 20-21 gal.

But, what I wanted to know....What blast media (soda, glass, walnut, aluminum) is best used on our brake calipers, valve cover and misc auto parts? I am looking for something that will move through my gun easy enough, but also remove what it needs to?

What is the best media to use when using an less than optimal compressor?

Assuming all this works out, I plan to buy the harbor freight powdercoating gun kit.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I don't have a direct answer to your question, but if you're going to be media blasting with a 20 gal compressor, you're going to have a miserable experience. It looks like the average air requirement for that cabinet is 10 CFM @ 100 PSI. A 20 gal compressor can only provide about half of that @ 100 PSI.

I have a 20 gal compressor, and the compressor is constantly cycling just using an air ratchet or drill for any worthwhile length of time. If you're going to upgrade anyways, I'd get at least a 60 gallon tank. Even if you don't plan on blasting or using air tools every day, I think it's still a good idea to go as large as you can afford.

SliderR1

agree with Brian - then the next problem will be water in the air lines clogging up your gun. I built a small aftercooler for my 60 gal. compressor out of a transmission cooler and it works great. I had superb luck using soda blasting on the aluminum pieces in my build. I got the soda from HF. Baking soda is not the same - its almost too fine to really do a good job.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Thanks. I'm going to see if any of my friend have a large one first. It's overkill for me to buy an expensive one to rarely use. Alternatively. I can rent one from home Depot if I have to.

Tony

At least from my understanding, using soda is great for cleaning oxidation, grease, grime, etc off of parts. It is safe to use around rubber/plastic or where the media might get into oil/fuel/coolant passages, as it will dissolve in oil or water. However, if you're wanting to remove paint or significant rust, you'll need something more aggressive. Sand or walnut shells are most popular I think.

Gsd autos mn

Im running a 80 gallon porter Cable on a 30 amp circuit. Its enough power for my tire machine air operated garage door opener, plus painting, air tools.

If you need help adding a circuit breaker its not too difficult just need 10 gauge 10-2 wire I can show you how.

A husky 60 gallon will run around $500 new they work good.https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-60-Gal-Stationary-Electric-Air-Compressor-C602H/205389936?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal2_rr-_-100083906-_-205389936-_-N

I bought my 80 gallon used for $700 you might find even better deal used.

This is the set up I wired and installed at my buddy's house.
40A38C06-49DC-4A5F-87B9-60A21977192C.jpeg
DD9B22F4-963B-4535-8FDC-8412ABC8D53D.jpeg

Last edited:

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Don't use anything other than soda on you valve cover. The other abrasives will get in it and eventually in your engine. You don't even want to take that chance. Commercial media blasters around me refused to even do the valve cover for that reason. It won't clean it up like new, but it will help to prep it for paint or powder coating.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
I have the larger freestanding version of that blast cabinet, I caulked the **** out of everything putting it together and it still leaks media. I'd recommend that same though. The glass will fog over really quickly, I put nutserts in so I could easily/quickly remove the glass for cleaning/replacing, would recommended getting a piece of tempered glass for it though. I did later down the road and its well worth it, don't think I paid much for it. Also added more lights inside.

I use this harbor freight 30 gallon compressor, https://www.harborfreight.com/29-gal-2-hp-150-psi-cast-iron-vertical-air-compressor-61489.html

It does a decent job, I recently moved my blast cabinet over to my friends garage with the 60 gallon compress posted above, it does a much better job at keeping up.

I run one of these at the gun to remove any water. Haven't had any issues so far. https://www.harborfreight.com/disposable-inline-moisture-filter-68224.html

I haven't done any powder coating yet but did buy some soda from HF to blast the valve cover with. Used some stuff from northern tool called black diamond for really rusted steel that worked great. Did a bunch of glass etching with Aluminum oxide that worked great, also works well on aluminum parts too.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
I have the larger freestanding version of that blast cabinet, I caulked the **** out of everything putting it together and it still leaks media. I'd recommend that same though. The glass will fog over really quickly, I put nutserts in so I could easily/quickly remove the glass for cleaning/replacing, would recommended getting a piece of tempered glass for it though. I did later down the road and its well worth it, don't think I paid much for it. Also added more lights inside.

I use this harbor freight 30 gallon compressor, https://www.harborfreight.com/29-gal-2-hp-150-psi-cast-iron-vertical-air-compressor-61489.html

It does a decent job, I recently moved my blast cabinet over to my friends garage with the 60 gallon compress posted above, it does a much better job at keeping up.

I run one of these at the gun to remove any water. Haven't had any issues so far. https://www.harborfreight.com/disposable-inline-moisture-filter-68224.html

I haven't done any powder coating yet but did buy some soda from HF to blast the valve cover with. Used some stuff from northern tool called black diamond for really rusted steel that worked great. Did a bunch of glass etching with Aluminum oxide that worked great, also works well on aluminum parts too.

Those look pretty cool. I'll keep you guys updated on what I use and how it does.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
I run a 60 gallon and exclusively use soda. Even if it doesn’t get rid of rust and paint as well as sand, you’re still left with a really nice surface to paint. Also it’s much easier to clean up. If there’s a tiny bit left over it won’t do much damage to anything inside the engine.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Watch the government auction sites for air compressors. They come up pretty often from things like school districts upgrading older stuff. I’ve seen big ingersol rand compressors go for $400. Make sure you’re not getting something for 3phase though!

Gsd autos mn

Watch the government auction sites for air compressors. They come up pretty often from things like school districts upgrading older stuff. I’ve seen big ingersol rand compressors go for $400. Make sure you’re not getting something for 3phase though!
I agree Definitely buy quality used skip the harbor freight compressors. The guy I got my single stage from used it a year I have had it for 7 and paid half price.