Melted Purple Wires

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
This is found in the headlamp wiring harness. This very long loop of purple wire goes from on pin on the plug to another pin with a yellow wire (that goes to the headlamp). I found that this loop has gotten very hot at times causing it to melt the wires together and melted the loom. None of the other wires bundled with it were effected so I don't think it was external heat that caused this.

Does anyone know what the purpose of this wire is and more specifically why it's a long loop in the harness? Can I just cut the loop out and solder the it together inside the plug? I believe this is for the fog lamps, which I do have and those wires are purple, but it's not wired directly to the on this side of the plug.

IMG_3099.JPG

BAR-AIR

I have pulled apart a couple of used headlight harnesses all were in the same condition as yours. Right, wrong or indifferent I just jumped them together at the block.

DanPerryy

This wire is for "daylight driving lights". It is actually used as a inexpensive low value (ohmange) "resistor". When you have incandescent lights (they draw a lot of current) and you want to have them on in the daylight this "dims" them just a little extending the light bulb life. I have LED headlamps and they draw so little current the long wire resistor is of no value.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
This wire is for "daylight driving lights". It is actually used as a inexpensive low value (ohmange) "resistor". When you have incandescent lights (they draw a lot of current) and you want to have them on in the daylight this "dims" them just a little extending the light bulb life. I have LED headlamps and they draw so little current the long wire resistor is of no value.
Sounds like a great way to catch a car on fire to me! I cut the wires out and jumpered them at the connector. I too will probably use LED. I'm leaving the optional lights in the wiring but I may use them for an "Off-Road" light bar or something.

DanPerryy

BTW - If you do not want to have day light running lights, I think you can just leave the wire cut. I think there is also a DRL relay that could be pulled to disable the lights during daylight.

Burning up the wire could have been caused by someone putting much higher wattage headlamps in.

RichN

In my 2005 donor, the purple were a melted mess also.
In the headlights supplied with the kit, there is a bulb in the bottom for DRL.
I just hooked it up the parking lamp wire which is split from the headlight harness up to the mirrors.

DanPerryy

This is found in the headlamp wiring harness. This very long loop of purple wire goes from on pin on the plug to another pin with a yellow wire (that goes to the headlamp). I found that this loop has gotten very hot at times causing it to melt the wires together and melted the loom. None of the other wires bundled with it were effected so I don't think it was external heat that caused this.

Does anyone know what the purpose of this wire is and more specifically why it's a long loop in the harness? Can I just cut the loop out and solder the it together inside the plug? I believe this is for the fog lamps, which I do have and those wires are purple, but it's not wired directly to the on this side of the plug.

View attachment 1641
This long wire serves as a "resistor" lowering the voltage and power to the headlights for daylight running.